on 25 May 2013
Thomas White has created an excellent primer on the issue of dolphin rights. With the recent decision of the Indian Government to outlaw whale and dolphin captivity based partly on the the recognition of cetaceans status as 'non- human persons', Tom's vision is seeming to be coming true.

Tom takes us through both the science and the philosophical underpinning of the arguments of why dolphins deserve their own rights. He does not claim they should have human rights as some mistakenly claim of him, but he calls for specific 'dolphin rights'.

Here is an inspiring book that takes the issue of whale and dolphin rights forward on a firm foundation and should be read by all those seeking to understand the worlds oceans and their inhabitants, as well as those who want to understand us humans in a new and revealing light.
on 16 December 2012
Bought it for myself, couldn't put it down. Every time I picked it up I found out something new and interesting about these creatures. Bought another one for my dad this christmas.
on 27 July 2009
Excellent, fantastic, a book that should be on the compulsory reading list in all the schools of the world, but particularly for Japanese politicians and anybody else involved in the fishing industry. The book is well researched, well written and well thought out in that it unfolds very nicely. White creates a water-tight arguement in favour of our growing up a little as a species and accepting the fact that we are not the only intelligence on the planet. Our inability to accept the intelligence of others in the face of such overwhelming evidence is a poor comment on our own intelligence. Read it and tell others about it, you will enjoy it.
on 11 February 2014
A brilliant read. Well worth the money.
Very scientific so if that doesn't grab you then choose something a little less technical. But for me was great!
on 30 March 2010
I had the pleasure of seeing Thomas I White lecture at Mansfield College, Oxford. This book will pave the way to provide a better understanding of these wonderful creatures, and I hope better welfare standards around the world. In Japan, dolphins are regarded as pests, but it's Japan's overfishing that is causing fish stocks to decline. Japan needs to understand this before it's too late.