Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2010
I bought this book at Christmas to prepare for working on a small neonatal ward. The book is thorough and gives full explanations into the nursing care of a neonate.

The book covers the basics such as IUGR, SGA, AGA babies, nutrition, thermoregulation, fluid & electrolytes, respiratory & ventilation, neonatal surgery, congenial conditions, stabilisation & transport, neurology, the dying infant, infection in the term & preterm infant, haematology, developmental care, ethics, discharge planning & community.

The book is intense, but the information it gives is fantastic. The information enabled me to understand the complexities of the patients due to congenital/surgical/gestational requirements. The book was also written by professionals (neonatal consultants and nurses) in the field who are still practising in a level three 27 bedded NNU & 12 bedded nursery - so the information is accurate & current. I would also say, it is the only book you would need to buy, and would be a book you would be reaching for off the shelf again and again.

I attended a placement in Leicester Royal Infirmary this month and was able to meet some of the authors and their knowledge didn't disappoint! I read the book again whilst on placement and really did find it very useful.
on 23 July 2013
It is very clearly set out and unlike many text books this is good to read. I particularly liked the implications for practice notes within the texts that highlights important aspects. Would recommend this book for work based learning and intensive care modules.
on 3 January 2012
good book as a foundation level, need a more depth book if you plan to work with neonates. useful topics easy to read.
on 29 November 2010
I have recently qualified as a childrens nurse and started my 1st job on a neonatal unit, easy to read and understand and for use as a reference
on 2 July 2013
Explains things in detail but in a readable way. It is a book you can dip in and out of as and when required.
on 8 August 2010
excellent book bought for my daughter who has just finished a nursing degree and has a job in a neonate ward.
on 6 October 2015
Qualified now and still find this book a very useful resource, information up to date. Explains things clearly. Good references quoted as well, which I find useful for further reading.
on 2 August 2014
I find this book excellent just what I needed to help me in my . Well written and easy to understand. Great to have I would recommend it.
on 16 March 2016
What can I say? It's exactly what it says.
on 2 October 2015