Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 14 October 2006
This book is divided into 4 sections:

1. Fundamental Techniques of Gene Manipulation

2. Manipulating DNA in microbes, plants and animals

3. Genome Analysis, Genomics and Beyond

4. Applications of Gene manipulation and Genomics

The basics seem to be covered well in part 1. A lot of the background knowledge to gene cloning: restriction endonucleases, plasmid and phage vector biology, gene cloning strategies, PCR, Southern Blotting, and other techniques - has been covered fairly well for the last decade in other text books (see T A Brown's books). However, the explanation and diagrams for microarrays (a newer technique) could be improved, because I didn't find them entirely helpful in understanding the method of their use in sequencing. The diagrams did not seem adequately labelled in this case, and the key seemed to reference colours which did not exist (the book is printed in black and shades of pink).

I bought this mainly to get update on newer techniques which aren't in my textbooks from when I was an undergraduate several years ago. In particular genome analysis - a field that has expanded rapidly in the past 5-6 years since the human genome was sequenced (and genomes of other species). For this, it is generally good, but I was disappointed with some explanations of techniques I was completely unfamiliar with. I think the design of the diagrams and the keys for them are ambiguous in a couple of cases.

I haven't yet read any chapters in Parts 2 and 4. However the rest of the book is quite good - additionally it contains lots of useful references, an abbreviations list, suggested websites for databases and the cross-referencing within the book itself is helpful. It is missing a glossary however, and perhaps full colour diagrams would help in some cases.
on 26 August 2012
I purchased this book for my third year studying Genetics at University. It is totally worth the money. Easy to comprehend, intresting content that not only focusses on the essentials you need for Genetics but also offers interesting tid bits to widen your knowledge. It's so well written that you don't feel as though you are reading a textbook as it's somethign I found myself reading in my leisure time. If you have an interest in Genetics, I would totally recommend this book!
on 31 May 2011
As a PhD student I've had a lot of lab experience, but have recently started doing gene cloning for sequencing and some genomics too which I've never really done previously. This book is absolutely brilliant and has a hell of a lot of info and some really good figures (although a bit more colour might have been better, but thats if I'm pedantic). It would be great for PhD students and post-docs (and indeed PI's moving into a new area), or for enthusiastic undergrads/masters students who want to know what is actually going on in that little tube of colourless liquid!