Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 November 2007
This book is fantastic.
I am currently in my second year of Quantity Surveying Consultancy at Kingston University, London.
This book sets out all you need to know about Procurement routes, tendering procedures and contract administration and it does it in a manner that is easy to read and understandable.
I fully recommend this book to anyone entering this type of profession, just begginning or someone who would like to learn more about this type of subject. It is an easy read and fully understandable to almost anyone.
A great book.
on 19 March 2009
This book is an excellent guide to exactly what it says on the front!
As a Part 3 Architectural student at Kingston University in my 8th year of study I have found this guide essential to my many essays on Construction Management.
The text is authoritative, accurate, easy to understand and, most importantly, very up-to-date. Crucially, it deals with the 2005 suite of JCT contracts and references the 2007 CDM regs.
Plus, there's pictures!
Seriously though, if you are studying for your Part 3 this is essential, it removes the need to look in about 4 or 5 separate books.
on 26 August 2009
I bought this book to guide me through the contract practice related areas of the APC (I am attempting to become a chartered building surveyor). Generally it is satisfactory, however I do have a few reservations.

Firstly it is stated "this book .......assumes the use of the JCT Standard Building Contract". WHY? It may very well be that this is the most widely used contract, but, for example, the practice where I work regularly use GC Works on some projects so SBC does not have a monopoly in the real world. As such the book should at least make a justification for concentrating on JCT and ignoring its rivals.

Also a professional needs to be able to advise a client which contract is the most appropriate for their project and I do not feel that this book has provided me with the knowledge and necessary processes to do this. I feel that a few worked examples of the process of contract selection would have greatly helped.

It appears that David Brent from "The Office" was recruited to write a section on something called "value management" which seems to merely be an excuse to use some clever-sounding phrases like "value engineering" and "function model". A worked example or two of this alleged process in action might do something to convince the reader that there is something of worth here and that it isn't really all just meaningless "management speak".

Chapter 23 consists of a 17 page long list of the rights, duties and liabilities under the SBC. What use is that? I bought the book to EXPLAIN how construction contracts work not to be presented with tedious lists.

The final two chapters go into Insolvency and Capital Allowances in detail. This would probably be useful in books aimed at budding solicitors or accountants respectively but the amount of detail is totally out of place here.

Overall it is a useful book but with a little more thought about its intended audience and how to present the subject to them it could have been so much better.
on 8 November 2012
Very helpful for anyone studying BSC in construction management, particularly project administration. Also useful for day to day work. would recommend to anyone who fits those categories.
on 19 April 2013
Long gone are the days when I would scratch my head at the poorly written, poorly bound and confusing texts written by my lecturers.

When I bought this book, nothing would have prepared me for the shock I had when I started to read it. What had previously been a topic feared by even the most swattiest of fellow aspiring construction professionals was now clear as day. Well laid out, well written, well illustrated, amusing and, to say the least, an indispensable tool for anyone practicing architecture, architectural technology, engineering, property development, brick laying, and indeed, project and/or contract management.

Be warned, this book is not only for students. It is an invaluable resource for all construction professionals, and provides a clear insight into how to 'do it properly'

Students - don't waste money on your lecturer's drivel, this book is what you need.

Professionals - you won't regret buying this, it will benefit you whatever you do.

Davis Langdon - Thank you for giving us the Aqua Group Guide to Project Management.
on 31 August 2016
Great guide to help most in the construction trade. Good condition, easy to use
on 25 October 2011
This book is a great book for more detail into whats required for to understand all about procurement, tendering and contract administration and its helping me to get the knowledge for my uni degree. excellent