Customer reviews

Bicycling Magazine's Illustrated Guide to Bicycle Maintenance
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2011
Excellent book about bike maintenance, all procedures and tools are well described and each is illustrated with excellent pictures which always helps.

As a regular daily cyclist bike maintenance is a basics issue but with this book tackling more complex maintenance tasks aren't as daunting as before so trips to the bike shop are not so needed.
Warning: Not for anyone "allergic" to getting their hands dirty!
on 14 April 2014
A good introduction to the modern bicycle for an oldie like me who hasn't pedalled much since his youth. Probably interesting even for someone who doesn't plan to take care of his or her own bicycle. Clear text descriptions of the different maintenance tasks are accompanied by helpful photos - a shame these couldn't all have been in colour, presumably because of the cost.
on 7 May 2013
Gone are the days of adjusting the old three speed and forgetting it. Most bikes need a few tweaks now and then and these books make it a lot easier.
on 11 December 2010
Having changed my road bike, bought in 1975, for a new mountain bike, I couldn't help but notice that my tattered copy of Richards Bicycle Book was somewhat out of date. The Illustrated Bicycle Book seemed to be an ideal replacement.
Very comprehensive starting with the history of the bicycle and covering all types of bikes and their required maintenance. Even modern road bikes are quite different in some areas to earlier models so an updated book was overdue for me. I imagined this book was of American origin, but as I had bought an American bike, a Giant Rainier, it should be ok. The spelling is UK english not US english (eg tyre not tire) so I could be wrong.
The first task I wanted to do was bleed the hydraulic disc brakes. Disappointingly, however, this was not covered in any detail and the author refers you to the manufacturers manual (which did not exist at the time) claiming there are a number of different types and they couldn't all be shown. I eventually managed to get the technical sheets from Giant and was able to complete the job.
Since then most maintenance work I've done is in the book and apart from the initial disappointment, I have found the book to be very useful in bringing me up to date, and I would recommend it.
on 16 December 2016