Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2006
A rabbit borrows a book on wolves from the library, and is so engrossed in it that he doesn't notice that---- no, I won't spoil it for you!

This very imaginative, and beautifully illustrated, book is highly original. It combines library-related paraphernalia with plentiful rabbit-related puns (mostly lost on my children, but they'll get it when they're older) much of which is hidden amongst the front and back blurbs that you might not normally look at with your children. The first ending is a little brutal, though hardly unexpected. The alternative ending is very funny though ludicrous too.

We all love rabbits AND we are all vegetarian, yet my daughters (aged 6, 4 and 2) find this entertaining and are not scared by it. Most importantly for a children's book, it's also really appealing to parents.
on 26 September 2005
Being a drama-in-education practitioner, I'm always on the lookout for inspirational books which appeal to key stages 1 and 2. I read the review for this in the Sunday Times (it was Children's book of the week), and thought it sounded ideal. This is an interesting and realistic take on the comfortable "big bad wolf" image held by young children and maintained by traditional fairy stories. There are other nice touches which allude to The Jolly Postman (letters etc). I have seen teachers here shying away from it for being too harsh - the bunny dies quite violently, I suppose, and the "alternative" ending is made up from scraps of the book which was torn up during the bunny's demise. However, the children I've shown this book to have loved it. They also didn't believe the alternative ending, but weren't (as some teachers had imagined) upset by the story. It's an interesting book to show to older children in order to discuss its suitability for little ones. The discussions arising out of it are very diverse!
on 19 September 2005
A wonderful, funny tale of a bunny who reads a book about wolves. So far, so so, but wait..this tale is told with such economy and style (the loose pencilwork of the wolves huge feet is stunning) and wit that you and your children will love reading it night after night. And the denoument...? No, I won't spoil it - you'll have to buy it! I saw the book at Emily's degree show and could not wait for it to reach the shelves. Now my children love it as much as me! We cannot wait for more!
on 21 January 2010
Wolves is a story about a rabbit who goes to the library to get a book all about Wolves. As he reads it there are wolves around him, creeping up on him.

We really enjoyed the story because the rabbit didn't notice that there were wolves creeping up on him. It was funny as the rabbit borrowed a book called wolves and the story we read is his story called wolves. We read it as the rabbit reads it. The story builds suspense as the rabbit reads which is great. We thought the little sentences helped to do this.

We thought that the illustrations were fantastic. We liked the combination of line drawings and colourful pictures. All the illustrations were very detailed. We liked the fact that the rabbit's copy of the book showed the same pictures as we saw.

We would really have liked this story to be longer, we thought the rabbit could have run away and there could have been a hunt.

We would recommend this book to any age, children and adults.

By Toni, Dylan, Lauren G, Lauren J, Chantelle, Daniel, Grzegorz, Gillian, Liam, Ross, Mark, Alex M, Alex W, Jordan H, Brandon L and Brandon M.
on 27 September 2007
I was disappointed with this book. Like other reviewers I thought it was far too short and also very sad because the rabbit gets eaten. The last double page spread shows the rabbit's doormat with his unopened mail and Final Notices of unpaid bills (because he is dead, and clearly no one seems to have noticed his demise), along with a removeable letter from the library asking for his overdue book on Wolves back and telling him he has a fine of £10.93. How depressing is that?! And for people like the last reviewer, who like the idea of giving a child a book with a sad ending, I beg you not to do it. I assume the idea is to introduce children to the harsh realities of life at an early age, but let your little children keep their rose-tinted spectacles a bit longer, because once you've taken them off they can never put them back on again. Being a child should be fun!
on 23 December 2015
This book was my child's introduction to going meta and breaking the fourth wall. He loved the book within a book, and the introductory details, and the alternate endings. We've spent ages reading and re-reading this book, and choosing an ending, and talking about the extra materials.
on 2 December 2010
This is a wonderfully clever, beautifully illustrated book which takes the reader and a rabbit through a library book about wolves, in which we learn a few facts about wolves and watch them become ever more sinister and threatening, in a very light hearted way. It includes a library card and an overdue letter for additional interest. We bought it for my daughter when she was about three and it was an instant hit. From the first page as the rabbit enters the library to the sound 'shh' she was engrossed - indeed 'sh' was her first two letter phonic! Perhaps my daughter is made of stronger stuff than the children of reviewers who found the ending upsetting, but we all laughed from the very first reading and really I can not see that it is any more frightening than Red Riding Hood. And being vegetarians we loved the idea of an alternative happy ending with a vegetarian wolf. Yes, the little envelopes and cards can get tatty but they add an additional element of interest. The idea is very simple but very effective. For children who love to pour over their books and explore every detail of the pictures this is great. Emily Gravett is a highly imaginative and brilliant children's author.
on 25 October 2014
It's a book you buy for the illustrations. Your child can talk about what he/she sees and make a story from it. There are parts of the wolf illustrated in detail. Not the whole wolf itself. It isn't a story book with many words and a flowing story. Interesting concept. Something different
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2008
Rabbit takes a book on wolves from the library (lovely double page with removable library ticket) and as she reads the brief but real wolf information, the picture wolf becomes all too real and then that's the end of rabbit.... or is it?
The previous reviewer is right that this book might not be suitable for a very sensitive small child, but lots of very successful children's stories are quite dark in nature and many children aren't bothered in the slightest.
The text is minimal, so this is a quick read, but my daughter (7) and I enjoyed the background library theme, and we liked the way the wolf emerged and grew from the pages of rabbit's borrowed book until it filled our own pages.
There's the grizzly end (wolf eats rabbit) and then there's an alternative (rabbit reappears). Letters build up on rabbit's doormat, including an overdue notice from the library, and I interpret this as the rabbit is gone for good. Preferring the happier alternative that followed, however, my daughter's take, as told to her three year old brother, was that the author was just joking about the wolf eating the rabbit, and the wolf rabbit went on holiday together!? So, read the right way perhaps a sensitive child needn't be upset at all.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 March 2007
at children's book, it has won awards and had some great reviews, however I was really disappointed.

The book has some real "cutesy" features, plenty of rabbit puns and it even "borrowed" a few ideas from the jolly post man with its library card and the letter at the back of the book for you to take out and explore, but it just seemed a little flat.

The story was really short, the pictures a bit grainy, though i did like picture where the wolf was used as the tree tops as it showed an originality that the rest of the pictures lacked.

I generally felt a bit short changed by the book, story short and predictable, pictures a bit naf (and I had seen the style used before like in "when the world came to my place" many years before- and other books too.)the rabbit puns were tame and it felt like it had borrowed a few too many other authors ideas and mashed them together.