on 10 August 2015
I bought this book just considering Axel Scheffler is the illustrator. And haven't been disappointed. Lots of flaps, good engaging story, might be scary for some but the best activity come story you could use to settle a child in to bed. Multiple flaps to pull push rotate and in different shapes. Absolute fun.

My only feedback would be because the book is such a favourite amongst kids and almost every child would like to read/pull multiple times, it would be much better as a board book.
on 24 May 2017
I haven't shown this to baby yet. The reason is that it is much too 'busy' for bedtime, or any other time. Our baby is 14 months old. Maybe older children would like it, but I wouldn't buy again.
on 10 March 2017
My 3 year old loves all of these books. The illustrations are great and there is so much happening on every page to keep them interested.
on 18 June 2017
Great book. Kids love it. Destructive 2 yr old rips off flaps, so book better for older kids (3+) who don't rip!
on 2 April 2015
My one year olds favourite book! Highly recommend for toddlers.
on 14 November 2014
Lovely book lots of laughs
on 24 November 2005
I have a 2 year old son and he loves this book. I love it too, it's one of my favourites to read to him. There's a lot of participation involved and loads of excellent rhymes! It's a bedtime hit, with it being read generally more than once a night!
on 26 June 2005
my son, who is just over one year old, adores this book and likes to read it every night. the craziness of the storyline combined with lots of clever flaps and moving parts allows him to participate and holds his interest. it also scores high on visual detail so there are lots of things i can ask him to look for and point at. best ever book i've seen yet.
on 8 February 2005
A firm favourite for my little girl who just turned two. She is not quite old enough to operate it herself as you have to careful about torn flaps, but she loves it nevertheless and requests it most nights. Its delightful and colorful and elicits a lot of interaction. I would definately recommend it for 2yr olds.
on 29 November 2007
My 4 year old son has loved this book since he was 2. The poetry is zany ("there's a lizard in a blizard and it's fun to be outside, but bedtime's creeping closer, who will you ask for a ride?"), the illustrations are interesting and detailed. There are lots of flaps to lift, tabs to pull and twist and such interactive devices are always a hit with children.

I would sound a couple of notes of caution though. The pulling tabs aren't especially strong and a few on our book broke within a couple of months, despite my son being as careful as possible with them.

Also, this book is aimed at bedtime which we try to make a quiet and settling time. The last pages of this book contain a crunchy crocodile looking for toes to bite, a bear looking for a grrrrreat big squeeze and the "ticklemetoo" monkey. All these elements beg hysteria-inducing rough and tumble rather than sleepy settling. I challenge any parent to find a calming way to read the bit about the "ticklemetoo" monkey!

Overall a lovely book, but a touch too fragile and boisterous for bedtime.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse