Monkey Puzzle Big Book
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2015
I bought this along with 11 other Julia Donaldson Books(All Board Books). I did a lot of research before buying and building my 15 month old daughters first library along with Van Fleet, Eric Carle, Dr Suess etc. At first it was all about pictures then sounds then role play and now its the story in 12-13 months she has grown with these books and loves anything we introduce now. Each book has a 12-14 page story which gives you abundance of opportunity to spend quality time with your little one. Reading is just one of the things you can do with these. They are illustrated so very well with vibrant colours and end to end pictures that you have so much to explore if you introduce reading really young. I have copied some of the illustrations on to a A4 sheet given my daughter to color. Just buy when it says Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler together on a book.
on 29 April 2016
We have a lot of Julia Donaldson books, but Monkey Puzzle is a favourite, not only of mine, but of my 2 year old daughter’s too.

The story follows a butterfly who comes to the aid of a monkey who has lost his mum somewhere in the jungle. The butterfly means well and tries to find the monkey’s mum, but keeps getting it wrong, much to the frustration of the monkey and the amusement of my little girl!

The illustrations are bright and recognisable as being Axel Scheffler. The rhymes make it an easy and enjoyable read and my little girl loves the repetition of the book. She will shout ‘No, No, No!’ along with the monkey and always giggle away whenever the buttefly gets it wrong, despite having read it numerous times. I would definitely recommend this book, it has become a favourite bedtime story in our household.
on 18 February 2018
Another lovely story by Julia. I'm a childminder and have been reading this, and many more of her stories for YEARS now and this one is particularly sweet.
Monkey is looking for his mom. A friendly butterfly helps him find her, but she gets it wrong a few times from his discriptions. She doesn't just assume monkey looks like his parents..... because her babies don't look like her. Nice little twist at the end too. Very sweet and opens up lots of opportunity for conversation and learning platforms as they get a little older.
on 22 January 2018
A lovely book on the first few reads. Starting to like it less and less as my 2 year old demands it is read EVERY night! Written in the usual JD style, it is a story about a little monkey who can't find his mum and is helped by a butterfly. The butterfly takes the monkey to various creatures who match the monkey's description, e.g. the Elephant who is 'bigger than' the monkey. In the end he finds Dad, who takes him home to Mum.
on 18 August 2015
this was one of my favourite books to read at Nursery School with a group of children,
so I had to buy it for my grandchild.
Teaches about animals, but also about being lost, needing help - and the joy of being back home with mum.
A lovely rhyming tale, and very popular with a child if you can use a different voice for monkey and butterfly.
Little monkey is lost in the jungle, butterfly helps to find mum, but has a problem
- she doesn't know what an adult monkey looks like, especially since her own babies don't look like her!
Hence monkey gets taken to an elephant twice, as well as a snake, spider, parrot and bat to name a few others.
This book is so funny, adults will like it as much as children. But I bet there's a tear in your eye at the end.
on 3 January 2014
I bought this for my daughter's first birthday, she adores books, and while I thought she may still be a bit young for this one, I thought she may enjoy looking at the pictures and turning the pages, and she will be familiar with it as she develops and understands more.

Well I was totally wrong about her being too young. She adores this book, she sits captivated listening to the rhyme. She has a little action for each of the animals which she mimes out when you turn the page, sometimes before, which shows how well she knows the book!

This book is great for teaching very young children to recognise different animals, and is complex enough to sustain an interest in them as they get older. The rhyme is of a pleasing cadence, and is easy to slip into and read quickly if the attention span is starting to shorten! I can envisage this book being a favourite for a long time.
on 9 February 2017
Another beautifully told and illustrated story this time following a lost monkey find his mummy with help from a butterfly. They encounter various animals in the way, allowing children to learn a bit about the batural world in fun rhymes. All ends happily of course! Another lovely addition to our collection by this duo. Enjoyed by one year old and still going a few years later.
on 20 September 2016
A lovely book. My son (30 months) is starting to recognise words and letters now and he's pointing at the words and saying them. The book is a really nice story about a monkey looking for his Mum, he goes on a mini-adventure with a butterfly as they find out where his mum is. My son prefers some of the other Julia Donaldson collection but keeps on coming back to this one occasionally.
on 2 May 2017
Instantly fell in love with this book. My almost 3 year old finds so many things to look at in the pictures and we love reading it together, in anticipation of finding the money's mom.
on 16 February 2018
Lovely book from Julia Donaldson as always. Not up there with The Gruffalo, but children enjoy the bright colours and the rhythm. There's a show she's modelled around the book which they can see if they specifically love this book.