on 17 May 2006
This is one of my 3 year olds favourite books. It tells the tale of a monkey who's lost his Mum and a butterfly who tries to help him but keeps taking him to the wrong animal. Written in Julia Donaldson's wonderful rhyme and beautifully illustrated it introduces young children to various descriptive terms to help butterfly identify the illusive Mum. Each time the young monkey meets the wrong animal he cries out "no, no, no that's an .... (elephant etc)" and my son loves calling out this line on each page. Not to give away the plot, but of course it has a happy ending and is a lovely note to say goodnight on.
We've got all Julia Donaldson's brilliant books in our house, and this one is one of our favourites. The story is simple enough - a young monkey has lost his Mum, and a helpful butterfly tries to reunite them. However, it isn't as straightforward as it seems, and it takes quite a while before the butterfly finds the right parent. There are quite a few children's books about a baby trying to find their Mum or Dad, but this is the best one I've seen. It is clever, funny and great to read aloud with a great rhyming style throughout. The illustrations are really bright and enhance the story very well. We almost know this book off by heart we've read it that many times. Brilliant!
on 14 October 2001
My 2 year old daughter loves this book and I never tire of reading it. Lovely pictures and a really sweet storyline. Big fan of these 2 authors
on 16 February 2001
Having read 'The Gruffalo' and loved it, we were then very pleased to discover this one which my children (ages 2-and-a-half and 5) adore just as much. (I think my eldest child rather likes being able to get away with calling Mum 'big and hairy' or 'slimy' etc!!!). A really enjoyable book and a favourite already.
on 18 April 2006
My oldest girl (now almost 3) absolutely loves this book and has done since she was able to understand the story. It has a beautiful rhythm to it, and a really lovely ending. It also encourages children to join in - "No no no, thats the ELEPHANT again!". It makes a really good bedtime story as it ends with a nice warm cuddle.

Highly recommended.
on 13 July 2006
My 22 month old daughter just loves "Monkey Puzzle." She has a very short attention span like most toddlers, so I was very surprised when she sat quietly whilst I read the book to her 3 times at bedtime! Wonderful illustrations, and a wonderful rhyming story. I am definately buying some more books from the same authors.
on 17 October 2006
My 2 year old adores this book. He loves yelling out the names of the animals on each page, and then listing them all at the end. Keeps him gripped everytime!
on 29 April 2016
We have a lot of Julia Donaldson books, but Monkey Puzzle is a favourite, not only of mine, but of my 2 year old daughter’s too.

The story follows a butterfly who comes to the aid of a monkey who has lost his mum somewhere in the jungle. The butterfly means well and tries to find the monkey’s mum, but keeps getting it wrong, much to the frustration of the monkey and the amusement of my little girl!

The illustrations are bright and recognisable as being Axel Scheffler. The rhymes make it an easy and enjoyable read and my little girl loves the repetition of the book. She will shout ‘No, No, No!’ along with the monkey and always giggle away whenever the buttefly gets it wrong, despite having read it numerous times. I would definitely recommend this book, it has become a favourite bedtime story in our household.
on 31 August 2005
Yet again , the authoring pair that brought us "The Gruffalo" and "The Smartest Giant.." have come up trumps .
An excellent read , with well metered rhyme and a fun underlying concept .
Recommended .
on 4 February 2004
A lovely big book for small hands. A story about a little monkey who's lost his mum, but with the help of a butterfly finds his dad who takes him home to mum.
Lovely colorful pictures.