on 15 November 2014
A very refreshing look at post WW2 Britain. Those who lived through the early days seldom talk about them. Reading this book goes a long way towards explaining the mindset of those who grew up in post war Britain. The book however is far more than that. Andrew Marr has provided us with an astute insight into the Britain we live in today.
on 30 August 2017
A brilliant, informative book written in Andrew Marr's distinctive narrative style. You can almost hear his voice as you read. A must for anyone interested in politics and modern history. Explains clearly where we have been and why we have some of the problems we are dealing with now. This is one of my favourite non-fiction books.
on 20 March 2017
A very weighty tome but worth persevering with.
A good summary of how Britain has changed from being a society strictly divided by class, how the wars broke down barriers, how we became more liberal.
on 27 April 2017
Very good, as described
on 21 September 2017
As described
on 24 August 2017
Historical facts give different insight into Modern Britain. Well written as you would expect.
on 30 June 2017
Fantastic narration, though some of the impressions aren't 100%!
on 5 January 2015
Still reading it. Will probably read it twice to take it all in
on 31 March 2008
I originally bought this book after hearing about the TV programme and reading the reviews on here and also because I thought it would be a good education for me.

As I neared the end of the book I re-read the reviews here and was somewhat surprised to see some 1 and 2 star reviews, although on reading them I did agree with some of their content.

Overall the book as far as what I hoped to get out of it was 5 stars. Very readable and a great review of politics from 1945 until 2006.

However I do have some comments about it. I didn't quite understand the infrequent dips into non-political issues e.g. fashion in the 1960s. Although I can understand that this was an important backdrop to the political situation (more liberal rules etc) the 'dipping' was a little inconsistent, almost as if either Andrew Marr or the publisher had said 'Nice book can you do a few non-political bits please?'. I did enjoy the 'dips' but wonder whether the book would be better without them, or with more of them? On balance they could probably have been worked in within the theme of the politics hence my title for my review - the book shoudl be A Political History of Modern Britain.

I was also a bit disappointed that more detail was not given to decimalisation (a couple of lines) which as an 11 year old I remember very clearly - surely that was a political hot potato worthy of more discussion?

As for the reviewer who complained it was like A-level History, well I didn't do that and for me the depth of the writing was enough, but I accept that perhaps the book is very superficial, though I have to say highly enjoyable.

These comments would not have made me drop a star in my rating, but the appalling typos I am afraid do, so 4 not 5.

Well worth reading though despite my tiny reservations.
11 Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2016
Can't wait to read it! I read parts of it during my History lessons and it is really interesting but also helpful for extra background knowledge