Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 26 March 2013
By replacing class with "Social Structure", Thompson removes the political conundrum of ever having to address the inequalities of capitalism contribution to the very conditions needed for the existence of Social work. Beautifully depoliticized, class though acknowledged as "significant" is skipped over while every other social divisor is given a chapter each. Brutal and Blatant piece of Hegemonic thought.
on 11 August 2014
Good copy, cover a little worn but perfectly acceptable copy. Prompt receipt and pleasant communication. Thank you
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 May 2007
If seriously considering anti-oppressive or discriminatory practice, perhaps it should have been called an introduction to anti-oppressive or discriminatory practices.

As a result I dont believe that criticisms of epistemological analysis and comparisons with A level sociology are fair, infact I think they indicate the sympathies of the previous reviewer and sociology has really moved on from the epistemological discussions and philosophical debates of Hobbes, Locke et al.

I would say that there are much more interesting and illustrative examples of discrimination, power and oppression in James C Scott's Domination and the Arts of Resistance, however Thompson's model of oppression occuring at the personal, cultural and structural levels should be a spur to further thinking and investigation.

I have only given it three stars since it can only really serve as an introduction to the topic, its written, in the style of the staple of social work practitioner texts, which is less than compelling, has little or no narrative style and reads a lot like DVD player instructions or the continually circulating body of knowledge in all the paper exercises social services training units have invented.

It doesnt tackle the issues of discrimination or oppression of professionals contra other professionals or agencies, which David Howe did in an earlier book which may be out of print now, it does make it appear like oppression is easily defeated and doesnt at all have the health warning that this sort of thing really ought to be accompanied with.
on 3 December 2015
good price for the book. I have yet to use it much in my first half of my first yet but i know that will change. this book is writen well and is easy to understand
on 5 August 2011
Bought this book to support my degree course in social work. Have used it for references many times in essays/course work/ reflective accounts. I would reccomend this book and say it is one of the essential books to have in your reading list!
on 20 January 2003
As a social work student I thought that this book would look at examples that occurr everyday when trying to work in an anti-discriminatory way. Unfortunately I did not feel that the book gave any other view than to assume that the social worker will always be the one who discriminates and the examples used became one sided and repetitive. I actually challenge this view with the book - as anyone will know, discrimination cuts both ways. Although a solution may never be reached, what about when users discriminate against each other and towards you, what would be the best way to practice then? After several pages I actually felt that the book was more brain-washing rather than giving some though provoking healthy suggestions for practice.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 November 2009
As a first year Social Work Student, this was on our reading list and we were strongly advised to purchase a copy. It covers all the major topics within ADP and has been a massive help so far in just getting my head around some topics.
on 20 January 2014
This book provides a detailed approach to anti-disciminatory practice. It was helpful in the understanding of this topic, however the language is very professional and a little hard to understand sometimes. Still worth getting though!
on 9 February 2008
As a first year student we were recommended this book to complete our first assignments. I felt it gave a basic overview of the whole concept and I was not left satisfied. For example the PCS model was explained, however I found I kept going back to the book to try and gain more knowledge on the whole concept of Anti-Discriminatory Practice-that, simply, wasnt there! I feel this book could have been better if it had explored the more in depth concepts behind Anti Discriminatory Practice, althogether it was too general.
on 4 March 2012
I have found this book very interesting and informative. It has also led me to other relevant materials which I have bought. I recommend this book to anyone researching anti discrimination studies