Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 March 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nice easy read for kids and the story is fun too. The book tells the story of two chickens - Marge and Lola. Marge and Lola are on a mission to win the banyard talent contest for two tickets to see the famed singer Elvis Poulty. I would recommend reading this.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this book as I could not resist the cover illustration and I am so glad I did. Chicken Dance tells the story of Marge and Lola two farmyard chickens who want to win the barnyard talent contest and get tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert. Will they be able to achieve their ambition or will they have to admit defeat to the mean ducks and prove once and for all the chickens don't have any real talent?!

This is a great book for adults and children alike, the illustrations are fun and quirky and the story is simple enough for young children to be able to follow but with enough in it to entertain the grownups around too (I know I laughed out loud at one point) You can also learn to dance along with Marge and Lola by following the illustrated steps in the book so everyone can be a bit of a funky chicken. I often find that many children's tales are too saccharine and sweet for my tastes but this book provides a lovely balance between story with a message and a bit of fun. A really lovely book that everyone will enjoy.

All told, a very worthwhile purchase.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hmmm. Hard to know exactly what ages this is for. A group of sneering ducks challenge Marge and Lola, our chicken heroines, to a talent contest. The chickens seem to constantly come unstuck in whatever they try. Will they find their groove? I read it to my 5 year old boy and he laughed at some of the visual gags but was not sure at the end of it all. This is because, for a 5 year old, it has quite an extended vocabulary (wattles, crest, talents) and whilst these can be explained it slows the pace of the story. And how many 5 year olds will get the Elvis Poultry character? Some of the delayed gags can also puzzle early readers (cows jump over the moon early on, to come crashing down to earth at the denouement).
In the story's favour, it does have the rythms and repetitions of a good childrens story, and the illustrations and writing can come together to make a colourful, witty and warm and engaging story of triumph in the face of discouragement.
Recommended for 6-8 years, I would say.
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a short and sweet tale with a moral behind it. Two chickens want to enter a talent contest, even though they know they have little chance of winning, but they are determined to do their best against the odds. They are inspired by the famous Elvis Poultry, and do a dance routine. They are just beaten by a few points by the boastful ducks, when their idol shows up and decides to hire them for his act, shocking all the other animals and showing the ducks who had been mean that they had talent.

It is a fairly simple story, not too long and not too short, but just right for reading to young children at bedtime and also easy for young readers to read for themselves. The book is fairly large with bright and colourful illustrations which are beautifully drawn and have a bit of a vintage feel about them.
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought that this was a very nice book and the illustration is superb, but perhaps the jokes are aimed more at the grown-ups as most kids of the target age probably have little or no knowledge of Elvis even if they know who he was. I also thought it was written in a way which found myself 'translating' slightly for my 5 year old to make it easier to understand. Still it was a very enjoyable book, entertaining and beautifully illustrated with very funny pictures. It can't be put in the same class with the Gruffalo or Room on the Broom but I would still recommend it, particularly to Elvis-loving parents.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 December 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Purchased this for my 6 year old boy who has finished reading the Peter and Jane books so and I thought this may challenge him a little.

The books illustrations are very good, my boy said they were fantastic.
The story was okay, finished a little quick.

At the back of the book there are illustrations on how to dance like the chickens which was a bit of fun.
This is a great book may be not one that we will keep reading but still one we will keep.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My oldest loves Xfactor and Britain's got talent so to hear that barnyard animals also enjoy a talent contest she was very interested to find out how Marge and Lola would get on. A well illustrated engaging storey and the regular use of the words "bawk" and "bawked" kept my two laughing start to finish.

A fun story line with the added element of some dance steps which kept my two interested and keen to come back to this book again and again.
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The story is great - move over X Factor it's the Barnyard talent show. Who's better hens or ducks! The illustrations are fantastic, really nice style.
A lovely picture story book suitable for ages 3-7. I would recommend this I'm sure it's going to become a bedtime story favourite in my house.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was a bit of a disappointment.

It did not capture my 5 year old's imagination at all. It did not appeal on an adult level as so many books in this genre do.

The paintings are great and the story flows but it just did not do it for me and the rest of the family.

Sorry!!
on 22 December 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well illustrated book, easy to read and follow, eliciting a laugh and a giggle, with a dance to end on. Enjoyable and good fun.