It is the first time I have read the full version of all his travels. I am still amazed that in the mid 17th century such a talented aurthor should be able to put into words so much material that is still relevant today. His imagination captures the reader from many aspects. In the later travels the variety of societies he encounters and the discussions put forward really just go to show that much is the same today..
on 17 June 2014
Though we all think we know Gullivers travels, mainly from the Lilliput highlight, the remainder of Defoe's (imaginary?) travels are absolutely fascinating. Social commentary at it's best, irrespective of the age of the viewpoint. There are so many parallels with our world now, we should be ashamed of ourselves for our pomposity. This should be required reading for all children, teenagers & (especially) the movers & shakers in the political world.
Politicians should have to answer questions on the FULL book before they are allowed to enter their murky dens
on 14 May 2017
I have to confess, that, - when I reached the part about the "Big and Little Endians", - I was NOT thinking about cracking boiled EGGS, at all! In fact, - being cricket mad, as I AM, - I was, actually. visualising KAPIL DEV and SUNIL GAVASKAR, - examples of "Big INDIANS" and "Little INDIANS"
on 6 June 2012
A masterpiece examining humans from every perspective. Swift writing so far back had a great handle on the customs and ways of human kind. his different worlds allow him to explore customs and writes and how we often see the world only from our own perspective and imagine all other views to be wrong. his next travels allow Swift to look at the failings of human kind. how we can debase ourselves without knowing what 'humanity' means.
a riveting read, still relevant today.
on 16 November 2016
I enjoyed re-reading this book : ) It brought back memories from my childhood : ) I like the illustrations as well.
on 11 July 2017
Excellent introduction to quite a complex story
on 14 February 2014
again this is a story I only know of because of the movies. I read this book and loved it. to all people who own a kindle in any of it forms please do what I am doing by down loading and reading the stories we seen or know but never read. revisiting on my kindle has made the stories better and filled in a lot of the blanks in the movies. read the classics you will love them
on 28 April 2017
good
on 11 May 2015
It was an enjoyable read but not a superlative one, the stories are somewhat absurd and jumps from one travel to the next with little passage in between.
on 29 June 2014
If you have the time and day to read this it is a bit long winded. Its okay as a first book if you are doing any assignment. Not something that I would read again. I have seen the movie in all its forms.