Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2016
I first read this book over sixty years ago, when I was seven or eight years old. It was a school reading book, which meant that I could read it in school time but I could not take it home. I absolutely loved it and smuggled it out of school to finish at home because I could not bear to leave it behind. As I re-read it now and consider the adult themes of the book, I am quite surprised that I found it so enjoyable. However, the magic of a great writer was there - it drew me in from the first page, I identified with the heroine and felt her joys and woes, was sobered by her predicament and understood the world better at the end of it. Above all, for an eight year old, it had a happy ending and made the world seem a safer place, because the problems were resolved and Jane became happy. I had no idea that LM Montgomery was the famous author of the Anne of Avonlea books, because I had never heard of them.
Reading it as an adult, I can see that it is a little different from most of LM Montgomery's books, the prose a little darker than in the Avonlea books and not very typical of Montgomery's usual themes, either. I think it might be more suited to the tastes of modern children, who are accustomed to books dealing with difficult themes.
on 25 May 2017
This is a wonderful read, full of description and believable characters. I guess it is a children's book, but it is also a love story about the mistakes of youth and reconciliation in middle age.
on 14 April 1999
When Jane goes to live with her father on P.E.I. she is frightened.What is he going to be like?But when she gets there she doesn't want to leave.Finally Jane realises how lucky she is to have two parents who love her and how much she cherishes it.If you liked the Anne books, you'll like this!
on 26 May 1999
I've loved Montgomery's Anne books for as long as I can remember and one day I came acrossed another one of her books, Jane of Lantern Hill has been one of my favorites every since. If liked Anne Shirley, you'll love Jane Stuart
on 20 September 1997
This is a very good book for kids and adults alike.
I first read this book when I was around 7 years
old.I could relate to Jane.Then I read it over
and over, asI grew up. I found myself relating
to the parents of Jane as well. I really enjoyed this book.
I reccomend to everyone this is a must read book!!!!
A very good book!!!
on 14 August 1997
Jane Stuart and her beautiful mother live under the thumb of her grandmother in Toronto. Jane feels she is not good at anything, especially school. Her grandmother and cousin Phyillis rub it in all the time. Jane's father doesn't reside at the house, and Jane believes that he's dead. But no, one day a girl from school tells her different. He's a poor writer living in a shack on Prince Edward Island.

One rainy April day a letter arrives in the mail. Her father wants Jane to come spend the summer with him. Jane hates her father because he must have done something awful for her mother to have left him. But she goes to the island and finds a new life. Her father loves her, she finds she has talents, and she is not constantly under someone's thumb. And she wonders: why did her parents split up?

I feel that this book is among L. M. Montgomery's best. It's a story of reconsiliation and a story where a trampled person can rise again. I really love it.
on 16 February 2014
Jane has never felt like she belongs; she lives with her mother, named Robin, Aunt Gertrude and Jane’s grandmother, Mrs Kennedy. Mrs Kennedy’s favourite child by far is Robin, she is the only person in the world she actually loves. But it’s an unhealthy, selfish love. She wants to keep Robin under her thumb, and resents anybody else that Robin cares for. Robin loves her daughter, but Robin is a weak person, and she doesn’t have the strength of character to stand up to her mother. To keep the peace, she tries to hide much of her feelings for her daughter, but enough is evident that Jane is resented by her grandmother. The grandmother isn’t abusive towards her, but she is belittling and cruel. Nothing Jane does is right, and she is constantly made to feel like a substandard disappointment. She has hardly any self-confidence and very little self-esteem.

Jane has been brought up without her father’s presence in her life, but he’s not dead, he and Robin have been living apart for the best part of 10 years. Jane’s father, Andrew, writes requesting that Jane visit him on P.E. Island for the summer. Jane is forced to go, prepared to hate a person who she believes has made her mother unhappy and instead she meets somebody who she feels like she’s always known, and understands where she has inherited many of her character traits from. Not only that, but Jane is allowed and encouraged to undertake things that she’s always wanted to do, and has talent in doing. She also meets many people who look up to her and like her. Jane returns from her holiday transformed; she isn’t made of the same stuff as her mother, and she is much harder to cow. The start of Jane’s journey to a happier life begins with her first summer visit to Lantern Hill on P.E. Island...

This was a wonderful story from the author of Anne of Green Gables. I love her style of prose, and Jane’s story was so touching. The first third or so of the book was heartbreaking in a very non-dramatic way, I felt so bad for poor Jane, a child should NEVER feel like this, constantly being belittled and her mother not standing up for her. I pitied Robin but I was also angry with her for allowing this – she knew how unhappy Jane was, and even if Robin was financially dependent on her mother I felt like she should have made more effort to be there for Jane, to love her in secret if need be. When Jane finally starts getting some positive encouragement and is allowed to do things in line with her natural abilities rather than being made to toe the line to what is deemed socially acceptable by her grandmother you can see her petals unfurl. I so enjoyed this story and I can’t recommend it enough, it is just wonderful!
on 21 December 2011
I was given this book 'secondhand' about 40 years ago, and it has taken me until now to read it.What a treat was in store for me! Jane's parents separated when she was a small child and this story deals with the consequences for Jane, and her family. The role in the split up played by Jane's Aunt Irene, and her Grandmother, adds a dark feeling to what is otherwise a positive and optimistic book. The ending promises to be a happy one, not only for Jane, but for her friend next door, the orphan Jodie.The author's love for the sea and countryside of Prince Edward Island plays a strong role in setting the scene for Jane's growth towards maturity, as her summers on the island enable her to gain independence and friends, both young and old.I liked the introduction of pets, which so far as I can recall, do not play as important a role in the Anne books. Jane's little talking to which she gives herself to make her way past a feld of cows, rather than taking a long avoidance route, is a good lesson for us all! Do read this story!
on 28 August 2014
I loved this book, although Jane is a very different type of heroine from Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon. For one thing, she is practical, and also does not engage as well as Anne and Emily do with academic education and writing. Unlike Anne and Emily, she is not an orphan, but takes an interest in her neighbour, orphaned Jody, and has the economic resources to help her. In Green Gables, Anne blunders through domestic tasks (liniment-flavoured cake) but Jane is keen to learn baking and gardening, and gains much confidence and status through them. Also, Jane has been denied the opportunity to learn these things by her evil grandmother, and is even fearful about helping the cook make potato croquettes in case she is found out. Unlike Green Gables and New Moon, Lantern Hill is not established as a home before Jane arrives, and one of the things I enjoyed most was watching the home develop!

Also, not all is sweetness and light - we really see the darker side of L M Montgomery's writing in this novel, which is one of her later ones! We get the usual beautiful descriptions of nature and the delightful island characters, but there's the major theme of deception within families. We have Jane's grandmother's evil scheming to control Jane and her mother financially, effectively keeping them as wealthy prisoners in her own home when the novel begins, intercepting and destroying letters with tragic consequences, going through Jane's possessions and allowing Jane to believe her father is dead. We also have Aunt Irene's attempts to manipulate Jane's father and Jane herself, which nearly end in tragedy when Jane receives Aunt Irene's letter saying Jane's father will divorce her mother to marry Lilian Morrow and, despite being ill already, flees to Lantern Hill. I am also very aware of the tragedy of Miss Lilian Morrow, who never married as she was in love with Jane's father and no one else would do - what happened to her, I wonder? The book ends happily, and on a high note, but I am glad that not all the loose ends are tied up. To me, this book is a tour de force!
on 27 July 2002
This book, though containing many classical LM Montgomery elements, youth, Prince Edward Island, country life, is somewhat of a departure from the author's traditional style. The setting is modern (early 1930s), the heroine is practical, and mature themes, even controversial at the time, such as separation, divorce, and post-war depression are explored. But even though the mood is not as light as in many of Montgomery's earlier work, this book is still uplifting, comforting, and packed with witty dialogues and reflections. A great afternoon read.