Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2005
When I first started reading Magic for Marigold (one of the LMM-books I bought at PEI) I wasn't really in a Montgomery-mood, but this book sertainly put me into that mood again.
Marigold is a typical Montgomery-character. A little girl who lives in her own magic world. Lovely. But Marigold isn't like Anne (of Green Gables) even thou both have the great imagination. Marigold is besides younger than Anne, also sweeter and quieter. A real dreamer. The book is really about Marigold's journey to the real world and to real people, away from the beautiful imaginary world where she spent the best part of her childhood with her imaginary friend Sylvia...
Someting else that is different in this book than in most Montgomery-books is that this is clearly set in the 1920s with cars instead of horse carriges and bobbeb hair instead of puffed sleeves.
I loved the book. A beautiful story about a dreamy little girl.
on 14 December 1998
This is a wonderful, humorous book filled with stories of a girl named Marigold. From her visit with a real live princess to the night before her "Old Grandmother" dies,from trying to be better behaved with a cousin to her introduction with lice, even the story of how she got her name itself is interesting!
on 11 June 1999
Although I absolutly loved most of the book (especially the part with Hip Price-who knew that they had players even back then!),this book has the most disenchanting end in all of the children's books that I have ever read.Not only does she lose her cherished childhood playmate,but her free spirit.When I read the line "she could now be as big a coward as she liked"( or however it went) I wanted to shake her and say "No,Marigold! Don't let any boy ever change you! Always be true to yourself,and never,ever act cowardly!". P.s. I am not a lunatic p.p.s. In the end it mentioned that she was afraid of frogs.But when she had the episode with the Princess Varvara it mentioned her having a pet toad.Go figure.
on 10 November 2015
A trip down memory lane for me who first read this when I was 10 yrs old I am 85 yrs now and enjoyed the trip back to gentler times when the sun always seemed to shine even though there was a war on and I was an evacuee,who absolutely fell in love with the country side after living in a seaside town
on 9 August 1997
I loved this book. It is about about a little girl's adventures.
From meeting a princess to trying to be better behaved than a cousin.
on 19 August 2016