on 5 April 2014
Lots of silly questions (childrens level), answered in a very American dialogue. Not recommended for people seriously interested in the subject.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 September 2016
As an aviation enthusiast it is quite a good book for those who have many questions about planes and airports. However in the middle of Smith's book, he writes about racial profiling and how we shouldn't be afraid of it. I find it highly insensitive and believe that he is hugely out of touch with reality as he is a privileged middle-ages white male who probably has never been "randomly" selected and nor will he ever be. There are many arguments around the subject, but overall it's a one star for being so hugely out of touch with reality.
on 14 July 2013
I would class myself as having a good understanding of aviation so was somewhat cautious when I started this. Such concerns were alleviated almost immediately as I made my way through the book.

It is laid out in a question and answer format. The questions are perfectly feasible and never inane. The answers are straightforward and always interesting. The author is not condescending and has a great way of answering a question in a clear, unbiased manner. Quite refreshing...

The authors overall love for everything flight related is also clear to see. Again - a plus point.

On the whole, I would recommend this book to anyone with even a fleeting interest in flight.
on 20 October 2015
I have a passing but not fanatical interest in planes and flying and I thought this would be very interesting, but I didn't get very far before I was bored and disappointed.
on 17 June 2013
This book gives answers to the questions that the curious, the enthusiast and even the nervous flyer would want answered. I found the book easy to read and the information was neither too technical or too "dumbed down".

What makes this book really shine are the times where the author departs from Q&A. The "North Latitude: Fear and loathing on the high Atlantic" piece in particular is beautifully written. I would happily read a whole book full of this stuff.
on 5 February 2014
Interesting read with loads of good points. At times it could have been more balanced in regards of the US this and US that.
on 1 July 2014
I am a frequent traveller with roughly 30-50% of my business time in the air between clients in different locations worldwide. I wanted to know more about what I am subjecting myself to when travelling by plane.
This is certainly not the right book for my purpose; I found perhaps two pages worth of useful information about health issues (air humidity, water supply) and some safety information. The rest of the book content is a specifically US relevant, often naive chatter and a "me, me, me" chorus line of the author.
on 5 December 2016
I am very pleased I bought an extra book as a gift for my family, and the first chapter is going to be strongly advised reading for my grandkids. What a superb piece of work. Ideally edited and just about spot on in terms of detail and content. Humorous in a nice dry way, and it invokes a refreshing concept of travel, from someone who really knows the subject, and takes a balanced view of it.
on 17 January 2016
As an occasional long-haul passenger I found this informative and approachably-pitched; it makes an interesting foil to 'Skyfaring' which I read after it was serialised on BBC R4 during 2015. Amazon helpfully suggests there are any no. of other works out there that are variations on the same intriguing theme, but I think I'd stick to these two!
on 10 October 2013
Not a book for 'anoraks' on this subject but good book for anybody interested in knowing a bit more about commercial air travel. Suitable for the almost entirely uninformed reader to the modestly knowledgeable it is very readable. It is informative, interesting and the writing style is fluid with wry humour frequently interjected.