Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2013
l have now got used to the darker aspects of the characters of this series, although l must say l do prefer the books with more affection displayed between the characters. Gabriel is a marquess hiding as hired help on an estate not far from his own home after a series of attemps on his life. also escaping are the ladies in the house who also have dark secrets. Gabriel falls in love with one of these ladies and feels he has to re enter his old life in order that he can come and claim her with no secrets between them. of course there is the matter of all she has ben withholding to be revealed too! well written as ever and a really good read.
on 5 August 2015
I loved Gabriel from the first - Ms Burrowes does evoke such darling men! Not that I had anything against Polly! This is a gentle story about the development of their relationship and I was happy to buy into it. The hero and heroine's characters were well developed, as were those of the secondary people. As well as the romance, there was also a slight mystery - had someone tried not once but three times to kill Gabriel in Spain? Perhaps even his brother? This is also gently resolved, although not perhaps in the way you might think. The book is number five in a series, and I had not read the one before - which I think must cover the start of their relationship, when they were presumably secondary characters. This caused me to be just a little disorientated in the first chapter or two, but I read into the story and it soon ceased to be a problem.

I have read two other books by Ms Burrowes and enjoyed both very much, so I will definitely be moving on to others by her. If you don't know this author's work, I would suggest you get some of her books. I am now feeling quite bereft, reluctant to leave these lovely characters, so I feel sure that I will be re-reading it in the near future!
on 12 September 2015
Not one of Grace Burrowed better books. The story was a bit tortuous and unrealistic in relation to the sabotage and attempted murder as George would more likely have landed on the gibbet than forgiven, also a few modern words appeared in this period novel.
on 18 July 2015
This book was intriguing. I have read several in the series and enjoy the way they slot into one another. Building the storylines is an art form, one which Grace Burrows does well. It had all my wanted elements, Love, family, intrigue, the difficult family member who never knows when to leave well alone. I enjoyed this read, it had me picking it up when I should have been busy elsewhere.
on 20 July 2015
I have been reading Grace Burrowes' books willy nilly for the past three years - in other words - out of the series' order. Believe me, if you're new to this series, you will want to read them in order. It isn't that they don't each have their own complete story so much as the reader will on occasion come across situations involving some of the characters that will just not be complete without reading previous books.

In this book, we get to see Gabriel come home to his inheritance after working as a steward for Beckman whose story was in - Beckman: Lord of Sins (The Lonely Lords Book 4) in which we became acquainted with Sara and her sister Polly, Gabriel's love interest in this book. So, definitely, at a minimum I would recommend reading Beckman if you want some of the back story on Gabriel. I found Gabriel to be an interesting main character. As with many of Ms. Burrowes' main men, Gabriel is a very straightforward and actually very considerate person to the lady he loves which would be Polonaise (Polly) - superb cook and artist who is visiting the estate to paint Gabriel's brother and his wife when Gabriel unexpectedly shows up proving himself to be very much alive. Before long, Polly is finding comfort in Gabriel's arms because she's got a past which causes a tremendous amount of stress in her life. Another thing of interest in some of these lonely lords is that some of them have actually lived celibate lives for lengthy periods previous to hooking up with the lady they're destined to love and marry. Not having read all the "Lonely Lords" books, I cannot speak for all of them.

Nevertheless, as is her usual manner of writing, there's quite a bit about food, including the cooking of food and the eating of food. What would a Burrowes' book be without all the talk about food. It is rather comforting, however, for her characters, to have this comfy atmosphere of "food" in which to carry on their lives. Okay, so this is not my favorite series of books by Burrowes, however, I've found a few that I've enjoyed. I have to say that Gabriel is a likeable character. Some of his reasons for staying away and pretending to be dead for those two years are tough to buy, especially considering what he put his younger brother through. By the way, this is kind of a two for one because we get a secondary romance between Gabriel's brother and his wife, who was Gabriel's former fiancee.

****Spoiler**** As usual I was put off by a reveal toward the latter part of the book when Gabriel confesses to having a relationship with a woman who had given her husband an heir and two spares and "set his wife free" (supposedly to have affairs one supposes). Anyway, Gabriel had a daughter by this woman which the husband acknowledged and even thanked Gabriel for giving him a daughter. Further, Gabriel confesses to Polly that the man writes Gabriel regularly to let him know how the girl is doing. The girl doesn't know Gabriel is her father and he has no relationship with her even though he keeps all the letters. This is a perfect example of the kind of thing that frustrates me with this series of books. I hate loose ends. Is this bit fleshed out in another book? Who is to say? It frustrated me to no end because I was left wondering if I had missed out on something by not reading these books in order. If anyone has an answer as to who the identity of this woman and daughter are, please fill me in.

3 1/2 stars.
on 9 May 2014
I have to say these book anew an awesome read, I am now about to read the next book Gareth which is book 6/12. Grace Burrowes has a fantastic style of writhing and a awesome story line that interacts with the other books that I find I am unable to put the book down and out MUST say I am in love with Daris .
on 13 September 2013
Written as a combined review with the previous book Beckman!

4.5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

The Lonely Lord series by award winning author (and one of my faves) Grace Burrowes once again did NOT disappoint. This review consists of books number 4 (Beckman) and 5 (Gabriel). These two were just as yummy as Darius, Nicholas and Ethan and totally swept me off my feet once again! If you love a solid historical romance (1800's) where gentlemen were expected to be gentlemen, ladies were ladies and all the rules are thrown out the window then seriously check this series out!

Let's get on with it shall we .. I have two more men for you to get to know! ;)

BOOK 4 - BECKMAN Lord of Sins

DESCRIPTION

Beckman Haddonfield is ready to live again...

Beckman finally emerges from the shadow of his wife's death by agreeing to restore a family estate...and embarking on a dalliance with the quiet, mysterious housekeeper who resides there. But she is not who she seems...

Riveting and refreshing, Beckman is an unforgettable story about love's power to overcome grief and guilt. Award-winning New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Grace Burrowes's gorgeous writing and lush Regency world will stay with you long after you turn the final page.

REVIEW

We have never really met Beckman, though he is mentioned several times in the previous books. Beckman is the younger legit brother of Nicholas and Ethan. He is also very complex, spare to the heir, underestimated and misunderstood. He is the baby of the family who is easily brushed aside, and left ignorant to some family matters (although he still caught on regardless of his families intentions).

Beck has lived a full life for a man his young age. He's been married and widowed, been wild with the ladies and gambling, has fallen so far off the edge of a cliff in the opium house that it was amazing he was able to bounce back. He has also been sent away by his dying father (this is where I should mention that this book is written parallel to Nicholas book) to fix up an old family estate (Three Spring Estates) that belongs to his grandmother (his father doesn't want Beck to see him die). Beck understands why he is sent away (he deeply loves his father and I would like to believe seeing him die would throw him back in his recovery) and decides to tackle the estate with vigor.

He meets Sara who is a housekeeper at this Three Spings along with her daughter Allie and sister Polly. The man working as the steward (Gabriel) is also there playing the role of grouch, let's get this done, I have no time to waste (he gets his own story ..lol). Beckman finds himself immediately captivated by Sara and realizes that there is so much more to this woman than housecleaner extraordinaire. Sara has secrets, and Beck wants to figure them out but in the process cannot help but fall in love with this complex woman.

Sara is running from a past that if discovered, can effect her entire future. She just wants to live a simple life in the country, fix up the estate and be left alone. Well all was going well until she admits Beck into her bed. The passion between these two sparks up the pages as does the sensitivity to each other and the budding friendship.

As Sara's past comes to the forefront we are taken on a ride of suspicion, action, intrigue and ultimately happily ever after (duh .. this is Grace Burrowes we're talking about ..lol) Can Beckman live with what Sara is hiding? Can Beck make it through his father's death unscathed? Will these two put aside their stubborn streaks to be each other's forever?? You know the answer, but reading how they get there is the best part! LOL

BOOK 5 - GABRIEL Lord of Regrets

DESCRIPTION

Gabriel North has spent two years allowing his family to believe him dead, while he assumes the identity of a hardworking steward on the neglected Three Springs estate.

When Gabriel falls in love with Polonaise Hunt, cook at Three Springs, he realizes that until he solves the mystery of who tried repeatedly to kill him, he cannot ask any woman to share his life.

Gabriel resumes his proper identity as Marquis of Hesketh, only to find that Polonaise has also resumed her calling, that of talented portrait artist, and she's been commissioned to paint Gabriel's heir.

While Gabriel tries to untangle the mystery of his attempted murder, he finds Polonaise has been keeping secrets of her own. She can capture Gabriel's likeness on canvas, but can he capture her heart?

REVIEW

I REALLY LOVED THIS BOOK! LOL

We first met Gabriel in Beckman's book as the grouchy, no nonsense steward of the estate. It is there that you begin to understand that there is more than meets the eye to this man .. well this book it all comes out!

Gabriel is really a titled man. Actually he is the Marquis of Hesketh and has been in hiding, assumed dead for the past couple of years. You see someone attempted to kill Gabriel two years ago, and he suspected his brother (who currently is holding the Marquis title). As time has passed, Gabriel has kept his eye on his brother and has come to realize that perhaps he wasn't involved in his attempted murder. He decides to come out of hiding.

Gabriel reclaims his title (kind of) and happens upon a certain artist that he left behind at Three Springs Estate but has never forgotten! POLLY! Polly has been commissioned to paint portraits of the Hesketh family members. Little does she realize that her beloved Gabriel is not the steward she fell in love with but in fact a titled man. Considering all, she takes it all in quite nicely. The flames still burn hot between these two and before they know it, they are giving into their desires for one another knowing that the future holds nothing for them. Why would a Marquis want a simple artist?

In the midst of all this romance, there are frequent abnormalities going on that sabotage the functioning of the Hesketh estate. Gabriel is in danger as someone is still trying to kill him. He wants Polly away from all the danger, but begins to realize that he cannot live without her. After he comes to terms with this, he needs to convince her.

We have a side romance going throughout this story as well! Gabriel's brother and his wife begin to blossom as the pressure of being the Marquis and Marquess is lifted off their shoulders a tad, and answers to questions must be answered. I have to say I enjoyed their story as much as I did Gabriel's.

Of course there is so much more than what I say in my reviews to these books. I hate spoilers and have to be careful on what I can or cannot reveal here! LOL I really wanted to give 5 out of 5, but I am seeing a repeated formula with this series that is predictable now. We have a powerful man who seems to be the most loving and understanding of men. We have the woman who is not innocent and agrees to the loving physical affair with our main man. We see them really become friends and not just lovers. Don't get me wrong, this formula works for Grace Burrowes books, but I would love a little mix up in there! This is 5 books in now.

A WONDERFUL historical romance series and one that I am going to remain current with.

HAPPY READING! :)
on 30 September 2013
I loved this book ! It was a great balance of great storyline filled throughout with deep delicious love lust romance heartbreak passion and had me laughing and crying too . Perfect !!
on 25 March 2014
I have read all the books in this series and they are well worth a read if you like historical romances and the stories of a family. Grace Burrowes is a marvellous author bringing the books to life.
on 9 October 2013
excellent i enjoyed grace burrows as a writer have loved all of graces books keep writing. Gabriel loves his artist woman and gets her in the end.