Customer reviews

Four Graces
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2016
This is a good book well written by the original author but catastrophically copy edited by an idiot American. There are jarring Americanisations on almost every page eg in 1930s England the word 'gas' was NEVER used for petrol, Marigolds were not harvested- maybe mangel worzels (fao Americans these are a type of turnip) were! and so many other howlers appeared. The usual 'candor' for candour sort of misspelling too. Also the quite ghastly 'gotten' was liberally strewn about. Poor DE Stevenson must be spinning in her grave!
4 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2015
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed escaping into the period and the lives of the four sisters who are daughters of the vicarage. So much so that I plan to read it again. I have been a fan of D.E.Stevenson for years and wonder how this book managed to escape me. The only fault I can find and that is not with the story but the cover illustration, although lovely, it misled me into thinking it was set in the twenties when it is set towards the end of the Second World War.
5 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2015
I bought this book for my Mother in England. I live in California and it is wonderful to be able to order a gift for her, know she will love it and receive it very quickly. Whenever I talk to her, she tells me a little more about the book and how much she is enjoying it. I read all the 'Miss Buncle" books, by the same author. They were interesting and thoroughly enjoyable, quite surprisingly so. D E Stevenson's books are set in the first half of the twentieth century and they reflect that, with fascinating characters woven into an enjoyable book.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2017
I am sure that given the WW2 English country setting it is unnecessary to use 'gas' instead of 'petrol' . There is also a crass mistake of 'marigolds' for 'mangolds'. DES story us good as always. Rating reflects translation from English!
on 28 October 2016
Brilliant D E Stevenson her books never disappoint
on 27 September 2015
Loved reading this well loved author and will enjoy it again in years to come.
on 3 July 2015
Lovely novellist
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2017
An absolute delight of a book - not great literature but intensely lovely and joyous without being in the least soppy and sentimental.
The Four Graces are the daughters of a country vicar; WW2 is on, and while Liz is a Land Girl and Addie living a rather more sophisticated life in London, Tilly and Sal focus on domestic and parish affairs.
But into their quiet life comes an archaeologist studing Roman remains. And there are soldiers, an evacuee and an unpleasant aunt who's been bombed out...
Utterly charming, takes you to a tranquil and virtuous world.
Although part of the 'Miss Buncle' series, this is very much a 'stand alone' work - I'd never read this author before.
I see that the edition illustrated is American - I had an English version and would definitely urge readers to choose this, as the Englishness is the whole point of the thing.
on 23 September 2014
Good old fashioned book. I lovely this author. A real change. Lovely story
One person found this helpful
on 8 October 2015
...from this lovely writer. All the usual ingredients are there, a tightly managed plot, well-rounded characters and a solid setting for the story but this novel is laugh aloud funny and has a most satisfavtory 'villainess'.