Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2013
I cannot fault Ms Burrowes novels, anyone reading this will have noted that this is Book 3, the first two dealing with the Virtuoso's other two brothers (they are the introduction to the Windham family), I enjoyed them so much I followed them with the Windham sisters (one book awaiting release) and two connected stand alone novels,The Courtship and The Duke and his Duchess; I have also read the Lonely Lords series (one also awaiting release) enjoyed them all so I do not intend to repeat this review for the others. The stories are clever, well written and as I came to expect from Ms Burrowes extremely difficult to put down. She has a lovely sense of period: they are sexy and sad and humorous. There is so much going on you get drawn in from the first page, when you reach the last page you can't wait to read the next. I could write more but the best way to know a book is to read it. For me it has everything I enjoy in a Regency novel and am finding it difficult to be patient. I enjoyed them so much that I romped through them, that being the case I may well start reading them again from the beginning! Can I recommend them? No, I won't! A book is a personal choice, I can only say read it and make up your own mind.
on 11 March 2016
I love Grace Burrowes' novels - her writing style and her lovely characters combine to make a day or two of delightful reading. I bought this book back in January and have been saving it up. I have not been disappointed.

Lord Val has always been one of my favourite characters, who has popped into many of Ms Burrowes' stories, being a lovely, comforting presence. I was always hoping that he would have his own happy ending. Ellen, the widowed Baroness, was a warm and caring lady, and just right for him. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey through the weeks of their 'courtship', meeting up with other lovely people I knew (Nick, Darius and Axel) along the way.

For those who know and like Grace Burrowes, this is one not to be missed. If you don't know her work at all, dive in. If you don't like her style - then don't read it!
on 25 March 2014
I have read all the books in this series and they are well worth a read if you like historical romances and the stories of a family. Grace Burrowes is a marvellous author bringing the books to life.
on 19 July 2013
Grace Burrowes brings her characters alive and one book follows on the story in the next. It improves the read to be familiar with the background characters.
on 10 December 2011
I rarely write reviews for books that I really don't enjoy, but feel that despite the preview and synopsis that I'd already read, I was sure this book would be great to read, but was disappointed

This book is part of a series, and I haven't read any of the others. I didn't feel that I needed to read them to understand this story. Lord Valentine 'Val' Windham is the youngest son of the duke. Having already seen his siblings marry, he has no immediate inclination to do so, as his real love is playing the piano. But a hand injury stemming from his youth makes his hand ache and gradually makes his hand worse, which annoys him as all he wants to do is play. One day, he wins an old estate, so decides to become a regular person, just Mr Windham, and fix the property. Living in a cottage on the estate is a woman called Ellen who once kissed Val. When they meet, she is still unaware of his real title, and the pair soon find themselves falling for one another again. But Ellen is a widower, and harbours her own secret. Val is keen to keep his true name from Ellen a secret, but soon discovers she has her own secret he's keen to learn.

Ellen is a somewhat sweet natured character, having learned of Val's affliction, uses her own homemade remedies and massages his poorly hand on a daily basis. I sympathised with Val and his handicap, but the story didn't suck me in as I'd hoped. It dragged on at the beginning, Ellen's overuse of her secret burden and Val wasn't the romantic hero I had envisaged. Despite his bad hand, towards the end, I'd almost 'forgotten' about it and was annoyed at Ellen's will she/won't she tell him story. It was repeated over and over and got quite boring. The secret wasn't that surprising or interesting.

Overall, despite a promising preview, I feel that this story did not deliver and won't be reading any more by this author.

1/5
on 10 August 2015
interesting book in this series