on 13 July 2010
I'm not sure about this one. I have to admit, I do love the thought of someone doing a Jane Austen variation/sequel/prequel, but nothing has ever really blown my mind, and do we all remember that painful collection of words that was published under the title of 'Mr and Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy, Two Shall Become One'? This book isn't like that, thank goodness (!!)... but it's not Jane Austen either.

Elizabeth doesn't seem like the Elizabeth we all know and love in this, although, much to the writer's credit, I think she has captured Darcy very well. I just don't see Elizabeth as the type to be tearing up every five pages, nor was she the type to 'give way' as much as she does in this book...Jane Austen wrote her far too spirited for that. I can't help but recall how taken aback Lizzy is when she learns about Charlotte's reasons for marrying Mr Collins. Is it possible that she can now act in the same way? Austen's Elizabeth has more backbone than that, and would have told Mr Darcy exactly what he could do with his proposal, even if he had kissed her infront of onlookers and so compromised her.

It wasn't slushly, however, which was brillaint, although Elizabeth does fall in love with Darcy a little too quickly to make it believable, (I'm all about the chase), even to all of us dedicated Austen fans out there. I'm also not a fan of disecting what happens in the bedroom, I'm certainly a close the door on the reader kinda girl... There are bits in the book which are very preditcable, some which are just too far fetched to make it a really comfotable read...

If this story was perhaps just a regency romance about the struggles of Joe Bloggs and his wife, I might have enjoyed it more, so maybe the fact that Reynolds made it about two of the most beloved characters in English Literature is what I'm stuggling with.

All this said, I think there will be many people who will love this book, and read again and again. I won't, but I certainly dont think it was a waste of my time or money that I read it. I suppose that's the real issue here, that all people are different, we all have different thoughts and images in our heads as to what Darcy and Lizzy should look, be, or act like, and this was Abigail Reynolds interpretation of what she thought would have happened if Lizzy had said "Yes" to Darcy's proposal the first time round.
on 29 March 2013
Ok so I was in a bit of a down in the dumps mood but once I started to read this I got sucked right in!
You have to get it into your head that this is not just a re-telling it's a 'what if?' So, you come into the story part way, follow it for a bit then go off on a complete tangent. The turning point was a bit (well....very) contrived and then Elizabeth needed to have a bit of a personality change to follow her new path and for a while Darcy was detestable and blind but then it got really interesting. Oh, and there's sex - so if,for you Elizabeth and Mr Darcy don't have sex then you're not going to approve but before you rule the book out, at least in this one it's not pre-marital sex. Try it. I did and on the whole, I liked it. I think I'll try another by the same author.
on 3 November 2009
As a huge fan of fan fiction I was happy to see Abygail Reynolds publish some of her stories. I have read several of her works online and am happy to buy hard copies of the ones she has available. Though many 'what if...' senarios are available not many writes are as good as she is. This is a good read based on what would have happened if Elizabeth had had to accept Darcy at Hunsford, and how they eventually came to the same understanding they had by the end of JAs classic.
on 4 December 2013
Normally I love this authors work, but this wasn't her best work. It was a good story, but it dragged on and lacked her usually charm, humour and sensuality. It seemed that it was longer book and they shortened it by taking out a lot of the story. It seemed full of holes, jumping from one thing to another and was very repetitive in places. Not the best P&P work she has done.
on 4 January 2014
Kept me page turning throughout. Thought the slant on the original story was what made this book interesting and unique.
Without giving
away any of the plot it is sufficient to say that the infuriating twists and misunderstandings were what kept the interest going in, my case anyway.
on 9 September 2013
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it but it is only 245 pages long and for the first 222 pages, Darcy and Elizabeth are not on the best terms, they only get together and understand each other for the last 20 pages!!!
on 11 October 2017
Excellent.
on 21 May 2014
This is definitely my favourite P&P variation. I love how plausible a story it is and how she has managed to stay true to the essence of the characters.
on 8 January 2014
I have often wondered about that first proposal, and whilst the way Reynold's writes it isn't the way I first imagined, it is brilliant.

An excellent read and I literally couldn't put it down whilst reading. Very well done
on 12 August 2014
As always , Abigail Reynolds writings concerning Elizabeth and Darcy never cease to delight me