Customer reviews

The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2017
An easy and delightful read. If you read it with the need for historical accuracy rather than the authors imagination, then you will be disappointed. Fairly good holiday read for Darcy lovers.
on 15 August 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed seeing events through Darcy's eyes. Kept the original story but explained his position, thought, feelings etc. loved it.
on 20 December 1999
I am a certified Austen addict, and I buy almost any sequel I can get my hands on. No one writes like Jane Austen did, but because her characters are so appealing and compelling, I am drawn to sequels. I am not a writer myself, so I feed my need for MORE, MORE, MORE by reading other people's fan fiction rather than writing my own. I like to see if other people see the characters the way I do.
I bought Janet Aylmer's "Darcy's Story" a while back and liked it, but it didn't stand up to repeated readings. This book, however, does. I have indeed read it several times, simply because I think that Mary Street has really gotten into Darcy's head and understands what makes him tick. The reasons she come up with for many of his actions are more than plausible, and they are reasons, and actions, I truly believe Jane Austen would have approved of. I have lent it to Austen-phile friends who also enjoyed it.
It is a quick read, and is well worth the wait it takes to receive it. I will not reveal the ending except to say that it is absolutely adorable, and I can't even think about it without getting a goofy grin on my face.
on 27 July 2003
A wonderful read give us Darcy's point of view on what is going on at the same time period as Pride and Prejudice's Elizabeth, it shows his feelings and how he fights his attraction to Elizabeth. It also gives us insight as to what happens with Wickham and Georgiana and how he felt about that.
I enjoyed this much more realistic view of Mr Darcy, and found it to be a better read than The Diary of Henry Fitzwilliam Darcy it did not quote too much from the book as others have done, all I can say is well done to the Author.
on 11 November 2010
I love Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice' - it's one of my all-time favourite books. When I discovered the world of P&P sequels, retellings and other spinoffs, I was very excited - but quickly found that the quality of the books in this world ranged from ridiculously raunchy to hopelessly boring. To each their own - it really depends on the reader's tastes, and mine are a bit conservative where these adaptations are concerned - I like them to stay true to Austen's vision and characters, and I don't like it when the writer takes too many liberties with the 'core elements' of the book. I've read quite a few of these books, and I particularly liked Pamela Aidan's series (although I skipped over the second book in the series) - but I have to say that Mary Street's book is my favourite adapatation so far. I love the fact that it's written from Mr Darcy's point of view (I love Mr Darcy!), but also that it's not too long-winded and doesn't veer off into strange flights of fancy, the way some other P&P adapatations tend to.

It's not a perfect book by any means, but it's well-written, nicely paced and best of all, it offers some interesting insights and perspectives where Mr. Darcy is concerned. Mary Street proffers some nice ideas on why Darcy does (and says) some of the things he does in the book - I won't reveal them here so as not to spoil the book for anyone, but they're almost all plausible and interesting to read. One or two I found a bit jarring, but not horribly so. I love that Mr Darcy in this book is recognisable as the Darcy from the original book, and I really enjoyed the writer's refined, but not excessively formal, style.

All in all, I found this a very enjoyable read - not particularly exciting perhaps, but very enjoyable and a great reminder of why I fell in love with Austen's original.
on 8 April 2003
A good, plausible parallel story of Pride and Prejudice as told from Mr. Darcy's point of view. It is better than Janet Aylmer's Darcy's Story in that Janet Austen's words are not repeated almost verbatim. The characters are preserved and I detected no deviation from Pride and Prejudice. The gradual change in Darcy brought about by Elizabeth's censure and rejection was done well. "In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was...but that, from knowing him better, his disposition was better understood." (Elizabeth, P&P)
I enjoyed it very much! I, too, was left smiling at the end.
on 28 May 2006
confession of fitzwillian darcy is no doubt one of the best sequels to pride and prejudice there is. speaking as a new jane austen addict, i have very high expectation for what needs to be found in a good book, especally one that claims to be a sequel of the famed classic.

=> Pride and Prejudice is told from the view of Elizabeth Bennett, told the story of her relationship with Mr. Darcy and how it progresses to eventual love and marriage.

But what of Mr. Darcy? What of his thoughts and opinions? After all he was a main character, he must have had his side of the story to tell. And that is exactly what Confessions of Fitzwilliam Darcy says. It tells of the strange way he was first drawn to Elizabeth, how he tried to conquer that infatuation, him failing to do so, and getting his heart crushen when Elizabeth rejected him so painfully. But even his pride, his arogance, and his high sense of self propriety were nothing compared to the unextinguishable love for Lizzy he still ferventy keeps close in his heart....

ps. i seemed to notice i gave confessions 5 stars while the average was 4. Pride and prejudice is a great book, especally for those girls whose hearts throb whenever they her a whisper of the name darcy... so i suppose this is the reason for the extra star. :0)but in all due respect to mary street, this book deserves it more than enough.
on 22 September 2009
I've never read the original book, but I have watched the BBC DVDs many, many times (and utterly love them) so I am using these as my reference to the original story. I found this book to be a great take on the story. There are good points of reference to the original, but it isn't simply the same story repeated from Darcy's view point. We get to find out more about Darcy and what he was up to when the original story was focussed on Lizzie and the Bennetts. We also get to know a bit more about Fitzwilliam's character. The language was as in the original and it all flowed very well.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 March 2008
Fitzwilliam Darcy's shyness prevents him from easily conversing with acquaintances. Talking with strangers never became an issue until he met a young lady at a country assembly.

Elizabeth Bennet was not the average society woman. She wasn't impressed by his wealth and didn't admire him.

The more they were thrown into the same company, the more he began to notice her and desire her good opinion.

Mary Street takes the romantic tale of Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and creates a novel from Fitzwilliam Darcy's perspective, giving great insight into the mind of one the most delightful characters in literature.

If you're a Jane Austen fan, be sure to pick up this book.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 10 August 2009
A wonderful sequel to a wonderful book. It is great to see it from another point of view. There is more of a background to Darcy's relationships with his cousin, his sister and his aunt - including the infamous visit by Lady Catherine! I really couldn't put it down and have read it several times!! Brilliant read!