on 6 July 2012
I really enjoyed reading Elizabeth's letters to her beloved Jane in this volume. It was also fun to spot all the 'Austenian' characters and phrases borrowed by the author in this 'patchwork', as Ms Dawkins describes it in her foreword. In her letters, Elizabeth gives her beloved Jane insights into her new life at Pemberley - from developments at the grand estate of which she is now mistress, to new friends and acquaintances, and of course to her marriage to Darcy. I especially enjoyed Elizabeth's retellings of some of her special moments with Darcy - subtly and sweetly told, with a charm that comes from the clever re-use of many of Austen's trademark phrases. Elizabeth is as witty, charming, lively and spirited as ever. The genuine affection between Elizabeth and Jane comes through beautifully in the letters, as does the strength of the attachment between the newlyweds, which is exactly what all 'Pride & Prejudice' lovers want to see.

My one quibble with this book was that sometimes Elizabeth's attitude towards her family, which based on my reading of 'Pride & Prejudice', I like to think of as 'fond sarcasm', seems to be more like 'scathing scorn and disdain'. Her complaints about her mother and younger sisters are sometimes a little too cutting, and even a little resentful and petty. While I recognise that Elizabeth found many of her mother and younger sisters' antics tiresome, and liked to mock them now and then, they were still very much a part of her family, and like most of us, she loved them warts and all and bore the burden of their often frustrating behaviour with a certain level of equanimity. I feel the author of this book gave the impression sometimes that Elizabeth would happily cut herself (and Jane, and her father) off from the rest of them if she could.

Also, whatever happened to Darcy's quest to engage the services of the elusive portrait artist? I enjoyed that thread quite a bit and was looking forward to the eventual resolution, but it never came.

Apart from those points, I very much enjoyed this collection of witty, sweet letters, and I am very much looking forward to reading the sequel.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 January 2014
I have read several "sequels" to Pride and prejudice which were truly dreadful, but this is excellent, very much is the Austen style and great fun working out the references to other Austen novels. I have also got the sequel to this, More Letters from Pemberley, and it is also excellent. There is also Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James, which I enjoyed. Joan Aiken also writes sequels to other Austen books and they are acceptable and well written.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 May 2002
'A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice' the title says... this statement probably immediately misleads readers like myself of what to expect. It suggested a sequel to the classic romance- a brand new love story.
If you start the book with this assumption, I can tell you, you may instantly feel deceived. For when I read the first two letters of the book, I was bored, I felt nothing really happens, and the author was just repeating and worning out what was in the original storyline from the novel. At one point, I even felt I was tricked into buying the book.
It was not until I read Jane Dawkins' introduction at the beginning of the book that I started to appreciate this book. I realised what she was trying to achieve was a small 'patchwork' of writings that enhanced the original 'frock' (Pride & Prejudice), and she was not aiming to embark on a 'sequel' as it will be 'a brand new frock' altogether. With this new prospective in mind, I read on and found the book much more enjoyable and felt that Dawkins have fulfilled fully what she intended to do.
The book is split into a series of short but detailed letters, which is very handy, this makes it a very light, leisurely and pleasing read. Good for less mature readers as well as regular readers. Rather than being a 'sequel', it is like a collection of additional little extras, which makes the original book more appreciable.
Throughout the book, Dawkins had made a great effort to use Jane Austen's language. Her attempts were very successful, and sometimes created the illusion that this book had actually come from Austen's own pen.
She also stayed true to each of the original characters' natures and personalities. Elizabeth, as always, was sparking with immense intelligence and liveliness. Darcy's character continues to develop from haughty to amiable, as from where Jane Austen left us.
It was also evident that Dawkins had studied the novel carefully before writing her own. There were accurate references to the original plot that made 'Letter from Pemberley' an excellent, heart-warming and seamless addition to the original.
For me personally, 'Letters from Pemberley' is just like a personal collection of affectionate little letters that people keep.
A very worthwhile read if you are a big 'Pride & Prejudice' fan or just someone looking for something light and entertaining to follow 'Pride & Prejudice'.
0Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 June 2000
Reviewer: Allison from Chicago, IL I just discovered this book after searching many Jane Austen sites. I immediately ordered it and have found it so delightful, that I want to tell you all. Ms. Dawkins' writing is the closest to Austen that I've seen in a long time. Of course, no one can be Jane herself, but this is almost as good. I always wondered what happens to Lizzy and Darcy, Jane and Bingley and, of course, dear Lydia. What a delight to read further into their lives, without any jarring 20th century interruptions. This is a fascinating read and I heartily recommend it to one and all!
on 24 April 2002
A very sweet book, not Jane Austen, of course, but nevertheless, entertaining and light. Austen is, as the author states in her introduction, a never-ending fascination. We readers are hungry to learn more about Elizabeth, Darcy, Jane and the irrepressible Lydia. I would like to have seen letters written back to Lizzy, from Jane, Lydia and the others, but in spite of that I found the book lovely in every way. In dedicating her book to Austen, author Dawkins acknowledges the "countless hours of reading pleasure" she attained from our most famous Jane.
Letters from Pemberley adds more than a few wonderful moments from that charming time!
on 30 October 1999
An impressive Jane Austen sequel I loved this sequel to Pride and Prejudice. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book and as always I want to know what happens after the book ends!! I found Letters From Pemberley to be very true to Jane Austen's style of writing. I also enjoyed the story, everything that I had ever hoped would happen for Lizzy and Mr. Darcy happened and there was a very happy ending!
on 11 May 2009
Letters from Pemberley is a beautiful series of letters from the newly-wed Mrs Elizabeth Darcy to her beloved sister Mrs Jane Bingley, focusing on Elizabeth's first year of mistress of Pemberley.

From her first few uncertain weeks of being mistress, to the revelation she is to become an aunt, hrough to thier first Christmas, Letters from Pemberley shed light on what life might have been like for Elizabeth, and serves as a most delightful sequel to Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice.
on 1 August 2002
I bought this book after reading through the comments by other reviewers, and I am back to say that I found this book very enjoyable, although fairly lightweight. It is unobtrusive on Jane Austen's original characterisation from P&P and although no body can ever match Austen's style and use of language, this is as good a try as any, and deserves commendation nevertheless.
Although not offering any major plot developments, I see this as a good thing, as it does not intrude on Austen's original intentions. Well done Jane Dawkins. p.s. not too many americanism's like in 'Desire and Duty' by the Baders.
on 20 January 2011
This is a great follow-up to Pride & Prejudice. It is the letters that Elizabeth wrote to Jane after they married and shows all their joy, insecurities and the dramas that they have. A wonderful read and highly enjoyable.
on 21 February 2002
...I have been very disappointed. While I was expecting a story that told of the relationship between Elisabeth and Mr Darcy after their wedding, I met with a collection of letters full of empty pleasantry. Half of the book is comprised of Elisabeth's yearning for the company of her dear sister; her meetings with Austen's majors characters from her other novels (Emma, Sense and Sensibility) offers nothing exciting. It's just the repetition of the facts from those novels and full of "I found Morland Sisters (Eleanor and Marianne from Sense and Sensibility) very agreeable" or Daleys (Mr Knightley and Emma from Emma) are the happiest of couples". There are very few details about Eliza and Darcy's relationship, the letters are just a narrative of ordinary everyday events. Unlike Jane Austen's style, they include no dialogues;there is not the shadow of her witticisms and although I read the book from beginning to end in a very short time, I didn't find it interesting or exciting at all! Also I am surprised that Eliza is so anxious about the opinions of Darcy's acquaintance and she is so diffident! It's not like Lizzy at all. As a whole, I find "The Sequel to P&P" rather weak and without spirit.