on 5 August 2008
I recently read part (and a very small part) of Linda Berdoli's ghastly attempt to write a Pride & Prejudice sequel, Mr Darcy Takes a Bride. I've written a review of it, which can be read on that page. Here, I'll just say that it is the worst book I've ever tried to read. I had also ordered Amanda Grange's diary by Mr Darcy, and I rather dreaded reading it for fear it might turn out to be more rubbish. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Ms Grange can write and that she knew how to get this right. The great trap for amateur writers trying to write a period book, especially one based on an existing classic, is that it can lead to attempts to imitate the original style. Instead, Grange chose the right path, writing in clear modern prose that did not jar with the conceit of this being a diary written in the early 19th century. She also avoided the trap of inventing so much that she would be out-Austening Austen. Her narrative runs smoothly alongside the original text without seeming a boring repetition of it. The insights we have of Darcy's thought processes do not alarm us. They are much what we always expected. But it is a pleasure to see the story from a different angle. It must be very hard to keep the reader's attention since, after all, they know what happens at every turn. I plan to read more of her novels, and I recommend this one very heartily.
on 15 October 2005
This is one of the best I have read so far, I was so sad when it came to an end. You could almost hear him telling you of his pain when Georgiana is so deceived by Wickham and Mrs Younge and how he blames himself for not protecting her enough.
You can understand some of his anger and alarm. Why at first he seems to like Caroline Bingley, as his friends sister. But soon realises what she is.
You can read his thoughts about Elizabeth, how at first he becomes fasinated by her, because he as never met someone so guiless like her. Then eventually how this turns to love. You can feel the hurt she bestows on him at Hunsford and the anger at Wickham when he finds Lydia and him holed a run down tavern in London.
You can feel the love develope between them during the courtshipe and marriage. I loved the visions she gave us of their married life.
I hope Amanda Grange will write a follow up to this book as I would be one of the first to buy it.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Pride and Prejudice from Mr Darcy's point of view!

Mr Darcy describes in his journal every single event we see in Pride and Prejudice. This time we can actually see how he feels and how he struggles; what he thinks and why he said and did everything. It's even easier to fall in love with him by reading this book.

I wished so many times could see Mr. Darcy's point of view of a certain situation, and this author was able to do it perfectly.

The book is amazing! Very well written and believable. For me that was the real Mr Darcy!
Couldn't put it down. read it in one night.
I highly recommend it to any P&P lover.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 April 2017
Absolutely loved this! Once I started reading it I found it very difficult to put down! I didn't want it to end. Very well written and such a refreshing point of view. I'd love to hear more from Mr Darcys if there is a possibility of a sequel?! ;)

I would highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to lose themselves in the world of Jane Austen
on 26 February 2016
Fab book. More than halfway through. Love Pride and Prejudice and this just extends the pleasure. Difficult to put down!!!
on 17 October 2013
A friend of mine borrowed me this book some years ago and I finished it in 2 days. It is amazing, well written, sometimes hilarious, sometimes so romantic. If you ever read "Pride and Prejudice" you have to read Darcy's point of view!
on 9 September 2013
This is one of the best books I have read - have read loads of sequels but this is the nearest to the actual P & P story told from Darcy's perspective. Absolutely brilliant. When I was reading it, I could hear Colin Firth's voice throughout the book. Fab u lous !
on 26 January 2013
This was my first "diary" of one of the classics that Amanda Grange has written. It is well written and got me hooked. Ive now read them all.
on 16 February 2016
Love anything to do with Mr Darcy, although as it was in Diary form found it a little hard to get into. Still a good read though....
on 7 August 2011
I enjoyed reading this book from start to finish. It is well written and kept to the Jane Austen version of the story, though told by Mr. Darcy through his diary and it was nice to have his side of the story told. Thoroughly enjoyable.