on 23 August 2007
Having read Mr Darcy takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll and enjoying the continuation of one of my favorite books i was really disappointed with the sequel Nights and Days at Pemperly. This book really is rubbish it becomes very farfetched and merely pads out the last couple of chapters from the first book into 400 odd pages!! If you enjoyed Mr Darcy takes a wife do not read this as i'm sure it will ruin that book for you as it did for me.
on 18 December 2015
Not prepared to pay nearly £10.00 for such tedious stuff. I quite agree with the reviewer who opined that it arose from the writer's erotic fantasy of Colin Firth. I don't necessarily disapprove of following Darcy and Elizabeth into the bedroom[though really once is enough] Along with a number of writers who churn out torrid bodice rippers purporting to be inspired by Jane Austen ,this author would be better employed writing sequels to "Fifty shades of Grey "
I did hope that the English spelling was a sign of a convincing Regency novel but the peculiar syntax quickly dispelled the idea..
on 23 February 2017
Not sure I'm reading the same book as the writers of its other reviews! I loved it, loved it, loved it! Couldn't put it down. In fact my husband was quite infuriated at times as my nose seemed to be permanently stuck within its pages! Okay it's never going to win a book prize but I doubt I would find it any more entertaining if it did! There's a plot, interesting characters, lurid discriptions and yes, it's saucy and explicit at times; the makings of a good read! It's references to the pervious novel helps to keep the reader informed and I feel it's conclusion was fitting and ensured I read the next in the series. Well done Linda Berdoll! Please ensure you keep writing.
on 17 January 2012
This was a truly awful book. The characters were shallow and I could not imagine Austen recognising anything about them but their names. The attempt to use language of the period failed miserably; it was totally unconvincing.
My husband got this for me when I was ill as he knows I am a huge lover of Jane Austen. I must admit it cheered me up as it gave us both a good laugh reading the more ridiculous bits aloud. For this reason I have mentioned it to some of my friends but with a health warning!
on 21 March 2018
I can't put down a Linda Berdoll P&P variation until I've finished it. I just love how this author captures and writes Lizzy&Darcy
on 4 February 2006
The story is slight and the characters undeveloped but the real disappointment is in the very poor editing,with so many errors in the body of the text you are distracted from the storytelling.
I believe that the book would have benefited from a good proof reading or spellchecking at least.
What a pity as it is obviously a labour of love for the author, but my verdict would have to be 'must try harder next time'!
on 26 May 2010
I love Pride and Prejudice and although I was a little bit dubious about starting a fan fiction in reality I think this is a really good book to ease you into sequels to pride and prejudice.

In my opinion the characters stay relatively true to chracter and although at times the language is incorrect and the spelling is dubious it really is an anjoyable read.

It's not all plain sailing for the Darcy brood and through advertsity they remain really close. The portrayal of Darcy is very true to character and Elizabeth is still a little firecracker. It does get a bit steamy in parts but this doesn't put me off because that's how I'd like to believe there marriage was.

Definitely give this book a try as a P+P sequel.
on 19 January 2009
The good thing about this book is, is that the writer seems able to keep up different balls in the story. But then: her language. It seems that in her attempt to create writing that is in any way early 19th century she used a thesaurus and used English words that are hardly ever used in fictional writing. And even worse, hardly resembles the lively and creative use of the English language her inspirator used. It sometimes seems we do not witness writing but the erotic fantasy Colin Firth inspired in mrs. Bartoll.
on 10 December 2008
i was rather disappointed with this book. i really enjoyed the first one which is why i bought this one, however i felt it lack any real story line.
the characters didnt seem to really change much from nor were their lives changed much too.
on 21 June 2006
Having been an avid fan of "mr darcy takes a wife" i waited with baited breath for the sequel. I was disappointed.....very disappointed, while in essence a good read it does not have the sheer unputdownable quality of the first book, lizzy and darcy are stilted and somewhat lacking in intensity and passion, the very essence that drives along Miss Austens superb original and Ms Berdolls sequel and turned into a sort of wet and spluttery plop, rather than a bang!
all in all, while the plot develops well in places and brings in some twists and turns nothing sits right and the reader is left with a feeling that something is missing..something big is missing.
The americanisms in language seemed more grating and the additional characters became more caricatures than the subtly drawn ironic portrayals we have become used to.
I do not wish to ruin the plot climax for those of you who have not read it but I found it implausable.

A good book, but not a patch on the original, or the first sequel for that matter.