Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2009
Having read this book a while a go now (I have just ordered Alberto's new one (due out next year March 2010) I clicked on the link of past books and) I'm surprised to see that no one has left a review for this one! This book is a manual for our times that we are living in, yes it's about shamanic wisdom but it's really putting that wisdom into an everyday speak that everyone can enjoy and benefit.

The whole point of the book being called 'courageous' shaman is that it points to us being able to step through our fears and becoming who we want to be. The book expresses and tells how this is possible and why it's so important! We are living in a time when our gods are greed and fear. We need to move forward because it's what's destroying our planet. If you don't know what I'm talking about then.....

We need to embrace a new attitude and it's gonna take courage to do it but it's got to happen. I believe Alberto is a man to help create change for our planet. The message is one of love and compassion, compassion for ourselves as well as each other. We're the ones we've been waiting for! We can dream a new future of peace for everyone, be inspired, it is possible and if you are in any doubt then I recommend reading this because we are all important in making it happen. It might all sound quite serious but there is a lot of joy and humour in this book too, it's quite simple it just takes some balls and direction. I guess with that in mind, the book is a kind of map to show the way but the courage to change is down to you of course. Worth a read.
on 1 April 2011
This book had me completely immeresed to the point that I didn't actually feel like I was reading anymore, the words seemed to leap out at me. I was pulled into Villoldo's shamanic world in which he explains how to escape a life that serves you no more by dreaming up a better one. It is filled with great quotes and references, great wisdom and some brilliant examples of people that have suffered greatly in their lives to achieve fulfilment. Villodo writes of different levels of consciousness and how to achieve those states. This is a must-read for anybody who knows that they are destined for more and those westerners who are interested in understanding themselves through shamanic wisdom.
It is about having courage to move forward in life as we all get stuck and this book gives you that push that you need to help let go of what troubles you. I recommend this book to people who are going through a transitional period like myself. I have felt like a bit of an odd-ball the past few years and I found this book quite comforting as it addresses those of us who are looking inwards to find happinss and integrity. This is a great read and it does not take long to get through it is about 180 odd pages and will keep you enthralled from the begining to the end.
on 20 July 2010
I have read a couple of Alberto's books this year, beginning with Shaman, Healer, Sage. They are the best books I have ever read or ever hoped to read and this one, well... if you are reading this review, all I can say is, as Alberto quotes inside, "Do. Or do not. There is no try" (Yoda).
I give this an everlasting standing ovation!!! ;))))
on 26 April 2011
The theme of this book is that we all have the capacity to create a beautiful life but instead we get attached to the reasons why we can't. These 'reasons' are the personal stories that we mistake for reality. This book encourages us to recognise that this is what is happening, to let go of it and imagine something better. Alberto explains that there are four states of consciousness, each with its own type of courage. The aim is to bring dream consciousness to the waking state so we can create truly meaningful and sustaining lives for ourselves and each other.
It is a very practical book: merely reading it won't make much difference. It is not enough to understand the ideas and techniques presented here (nor to tick off the exercises and then forget about them. They need to become part of you to have an effect.
It is also an empowering book: Alberto takes pains to explain that it is how we live today that shapes our dreams. We need to do something, however small, to manifest the spirit of our dream right now, not continually get hung up on the drama of our longings, waiting for our big moment.
This book is written with understanding and compassion for our human foibles. There is humour too. I really believe it has the potential to be life-changing, but it's not a quick-fix. It is simple but not easy. Practising the techniques and mindset requires dedication, awareness and, yes, courage. So which would you rather have: a beautiful life or the reasons why you can't?
on 12 January 2014
Another excellent book from this well respected author. A must for your spiritual journey and you will find yourself putting the book down and thinking about what you have read. I have a few of his books and because I have had that much from them, I have ended up buying all the others.
on 13 April 2016
A fantastic book. This stops you dreaming into nothingness and helps you realise that your dreams are the beginning of your movement through time. The dreams have a message and your instincts matter. Being courageous in dreaming means you are selecting your nuggets within your mind and not drifting into doing nothing with them. Excellent
on 25 May 2015
Yes, you could buy this if this is truly what you want in life. Please remember, you need to study and study to achieve your goals. Best of luck
on 2 June 2015
Haven't read anything particularly new to me so far (half way through) but it's a good reminder of things I've come across before.
on 17 August 2015
Bought for my Boys mother who told me that it were a fantastic read and was very grateful for the gift.
on 31 August 2014
Fantastic book. A good read for anyone. Loads of excellent information and ideas. Highly recommended.