on 4 March 2016
Interesting book, chapters are easy to read. I liked this book but felt like it needed a bit more detail about the war itself. I felt so sad for the author, and felt that I knew her family after reading about them - after finished the book I had to google their family photos. I also googled the bathroom she stayed locked in and it was tiny, wish I looked at it before as I would have had a better understanding of her conditions while I read the book. She has a huge conviction in God, so if you are a religious person you will be able to relate as she lists her prayers in her book.
on 30 September 2007
What an amazing book!

Or maybe it is just an amazing story, the hideous inhumanity that prejudice can drive us to coupled by incredible forgiveness. I read the whole book in 24 hours straight - something that I haven't done in years.

Immaculee is from a loving, respected Catholic family in a small town in the west of Rwanda. A family who believed your tribal background shouldn't matter in a country where history and particularly Belgian colonial rule had made it of paramount importance.

It is the story of her childhood and adolescence in Rwanda before the unbelievable genocide that was encouraged by the government and allowed to run unchecked by the rest of the world. It is Immaculee's story of God's love, strength and revelation to her in situations that none of us ever want to imagine, the brutal murder of family and friends by their own friends and neighbours and yet it is not an overtly religious book.

Although in a part of the world of which I have no experience it was so easy to imagine all the people as real people that you could know and that is as it is, they are or were real people.
18 people found this helpful
on 16 January 2016
A brilliant sensitive account of a harrowing experience written without pathos. Immaculee describes her personal account of the terrible atrocities of the Rwanda holocaust in a clear straight forward fashion, together with her growing awareness of the true meaning of God's love achieved through her suffering. She gives the reader a clear understanding of what "unconditional love" really means. An amazing story by ordinary woman who survives intense suffering to be come quite extraordinary. A really excellent read.
on 25 April 2013
If you have a heart filled with compassion and love, congratulations, this book is for you.

I read this book as soon as it was delivered. I couldn't put it down. I had heard of this ladies ordeal via you-tube. I had seen countless videos of the holocaust and was moved to my core by the atrocities that occurred. I wanted to know why this happened? What drove neighbours and friends to kill each other, in such horrific manners? Once I read this book, I understood.

Imaculees' tale is just one of countless stories that should be told, but thankfully (for me, at least) she kept focused on staying alive so she could get this essential message across, to as many as want to listen. One thing that stood out for me was her undying faith, she knew that she had a purpose to fulfill after the madness was over. It was this that provided us with this book and for that i am truly thankful. It is a graphic and concise account of what happened to her throughout the holocaust and at times made me question my own potential as a human being. It tells of how her somewhat ordinary life changed over night and how she had to leave her family behind, knowing that she may never see them again. She spent three months with several other women hiding in a small toilet in the local ministers house scared for her life. It tells of how they wasted away in hiding and of her fear and anger but also how she came to terms with the devil within, demanding revenge. Immaculees' courage astonished me. Her defiance, despite everything, kept itself alive throughout her time in hiding and she never lost faith even when the devil shouted in her ear! I have nothing but compassion for you Immaculee, and for everyone suffering at the hands of mans greed and selfishness. Maybe one day all men will learn this lesson? God bless you.
on 25 April 2009
This book will shock you. It shows clearly how evil man can be, how cruel, and how depraved. We believe we are the most intelligent beings on earth, but anyone reading this book will be forced to review their beliefs. The story told by Immaculee Ilibagiza is a compelling and very personal one. To my surprise I did not find the author a completely sympathetic figure in the book; there was a slight touch of something (haughtiness/self-importance?) that I had not expected, and it was only when I saw her being interviewed on TV that the true decency of her character was revealed. I suspect this may have to do with the fact that the story was written in Immaculee's third language and then brushed up with the help of another writer, which sometimes gives an abruptness to the narrative tone of the book. A powerful book.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 May 2016
Amazing and gripping story from start to finish - i would recommend/ The writter really sets the - scene and she really takes you in to the situation , i was on edge the whole time but i wont spoil the ending - please buy, stories like these makes us better people in this world to have a heart for others - especially when there is so much wrong with the world!
on 11 August 2015
Couldn't put this down! Immaculee is an inspiration to us all here in the developed Western world. We are extremely fortunate to have been born into a land of plenty, that is very rarely threatened. I take from this, the simple things in life like family, love and serving others. May I be so forgiving in the small ways I am wronged in my fortunate life as she was through her suffering. Highly recommend.
on 24 June 2013
A truly wonderful and incredible journey showing the power of human spirit in dire consequences. It makes more impact than watching on the news, and I hope this book continues to spread the word and her work continues. She is remarkable in that she had courage, stuck with her beliefs and did find answers and solace in the guidance. True faith is shown when she actually followed the guidance and was prepared to make the changes required of her in order to heal. The editing: In the first portion, the use of 'Mom and Dad' really jarred, and felt unnatural, as if a huge American hand had worked this in. Later the flow felt better when the words were replaced with 'my mother, my father'. Perhaps they could go back and adjust the beginning so that the book is standardised throughout.
on 5 February 2018
A stunning testimony to God's power to help a person forgive the unforgivable
on 24 July 2014
I couldn't believe what went on until I read this book. Brings tears in my eyes. I didn't know the full story about the Rwandan Holocaust and Immaculee Ilibagiza was so brave and lucky to have survived this. God certainly has a place for her in heaven