Customer reviews

on 2 August 2015
Great story and well written. Don't know if it was intentional, but I found some of the descriptions of how people what people were doing, hilarious!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 February 2017
A young man arrives in a small American town and starts doing miracles... the churches are divided in how they view him. Cleverly written with several subplots unrolling, mild humour in places, and a somewhat ironical look at some of the extreme types of church.

However, although I rated this five stars after the first time I read it in 2001, I find myself recoiling somewhat after re-reading 16 years later. The writing is good (although the viewpoint switches and the sheer number of characters left me a little confused at times) but the final revelations and some of the climactic events towards the end were sordid and did not make pleasant reading at all.

I had completely forgotten the storyline and the outcome. The mild suspense in the earlier part of the book works well, but I didn't enjoy the last few chapters at all. However I'm not a fan of thrillers in general; those who enjoy them, and don't mind some violence may well enjoy it more than I did.
Many Christians are familiar with Christ's prophecy in Matthew 24:4-5,11,24 that false prophets will come in the last days, proclaiming that they are the Christ, performing miracles, and deceiving many. Few Christians have stopped to reflect on how Christ's prophecy about these last days could become a reality in our own world. Peretti does the job for us, by painting a vivid fictional picture of how this could conceivably come about. His false Christ is initially so convincing, that I found myself reading with a strong sense of disbelief, thinking "This Messiah looks like the real thing, acts like the real thing, but something is not quite right!" It is this sense of disbelief that kept me reading, intensely curious as to how Peretti would unravel the plot!
The plot is intriguing and entertaining. Peretti sustains interest by working with a story-line composed of twin strands that are intertwined throughout the novel: one being the protagonist's past, the other being his present. Although the plot is not always convincing (the conclusion falls somewhat flat since several loose ends are left hanging), on the whole it is engaging and suspenseful.
Yet at the same time Peretti is very introspective. He takes the reader on a fast ride, but not so fast that you don't get to enjoy the scenery on the way. The main character, Travis Jordan, is very believable, and his struggles and development are superbly portrayed. In the process, Peretti shares thoughtful insights about the state of church-life in contemporary North America. His careful attention to characterization enables him to create an effective satire on the hypocrisy of emotion-driven charismatics, as well as the superficiality of factory-style big city churches. At one point he goes somewhat too far, in my view, by creating a false dilemma between membership in Christ's church and having a personal relationship with Christ. His endorsement of Arminian theology is also one I personally do not share.
But you don't have to agree with Peretti in every respect to find this novel stimulating. While being entertained by an original story-line, I found myself gaining a heightened awareness of the dangers of false prophets in the future, and of the dangers of superficial church life in the present. It is this quality that makes this novel much more than a story with a token Christian touch, but a novel with a genuinely Christian and thought-provoking message.
on 18 April 2001
Having read just about every adult Peretti so far, I was intrigued when I received this one as a gift. As far as I'm concerned, this is his best yet. It's definitely a break away from some of his more suspensful books, but that's certainly not a detraction. I simply enjoyed reading about a man who, like most Christians, has gone through a low patch in his walk with Christ and the events that rise up to change everything. Chapters regarding time spent at Bible College were particularly fun as I have some fond memories of my own from that time. The one spot I keep turning back to,though, is when Travis (the main character) tells some stories about the people he got to know over the years as a pastor and made it all worthwhile. I guess that's what I enjoy so much about this one - it's just about people and that every one of them counts.
on 31 October 1999
I would not recommend starting this book unless you have a few days to spare as I found this book to be addictive. Although not the best of Frank Peretti he is as always an excellent story teller and this book is well worth reading.
on 6 July 2009
After reading a couple of other Frank Peretti books, I was eager to get my hands on this... and I was not dissappointed... I initially found the book a little slow in pace towards the begining, however at these moments interesting nuggets were thrown in so you don't lose interest.... however further into the book I became gripped... I found the book interesting in particular as it shows how vulnerable people are and how easily we can be deceived. The book offered insight into how people can get so easily swept up in mass hysteria or join cults etc...
I would definately recommend this book... but despite it being a great read its still not as good as Peretti's original book this present darkness.
on 9 March 2009
wow! i know christian literature can seem so boring - 'God loves you. He really does...' so when someone recommend Frank Peretti to me, i checked him out on amazon. i read the few pages that they show as a preview here and i was gripped - i HAD to get this book. well, i got the book and i was spell-bound! i loved the twists and turns and how it all unfolded in the end. somethings felt a bit long-winded but the majority of it - wow!!!!! i couldnt believe it! i'm so going to get his other books. thank you Frank!
on 12 May 2011
Having been a fan of the Darkness books and having loved the Prophet, I was looking forward to this one. Frank Peretti is a consistant author and the Visitation was no exception. I liked the book a lot and sure, I could see some of the plot before it happened, but it was written in an honest and slightly autobiographical style that many Christians who have "Done Church" for a long time can relate to. Thank you Mr Peretti for another good read that I couldn't put down until it was finished.
on 12 August 1999
Frank Peretti always provides a good read and looks at issues facing today's church in a way that is enjoyable and thought provoking. The visitation is no different in its look at the effect of false prophets.However, previous books have been suspense filled and this lacks some of Peretti's usual punch and flare.I would thoroughly recommend this book.
on 5 February 2014
I sometimes wish Frank Peretti wrote more books because his books are so unique. If his reasoning is quality rather than quantity he succeeds brilliantly. Also for me, as a Christian, it's good to see a more rounded ethical perspective than this type of book normally gives