Customer reviews

on 7 June 2017
excellent insightful view of struggle with mental health issues whilst trying to gain education and live
on 23 March 2017
Fantastic book, as a student mental health nurse it was incredibly fascinating, articulate and insightful, highly recommended.
on 12 October 2007
Anyone who has lived with someone suffering from this illness can benefit from reading this, it is a privelige to be invited into the private world of this articulate and intelligent woman. I felt very moved and she recounts the struggles with her demons and her attempts to overcome without medication. Eventually reconciling with the need for medication and the psychoanalysis that she persistently sought. The message of hope is that, yes, with this
most dreadful of mental illness one can live a fulfilled life and take one's
place in the world. The insight into the feelings and thoughts during a psychotic breakdown will change forever how you attempt to be there for those who are close to you with this illness, like myself a mother of son with schizophrenia.
on 2 November 2014
As a psychiatrist I found this book fantastic. It's very well written and has allowed me a deeper and fresh understanding of what it is like to have this illness. It's given me a new sense of hope that this illness can be survived and the sufferer can live a for filling academically challenging life. I really never thought this was possible, let alone on 600mg of clozapine. I am so impressed and mightily inspired. I hope that I will be able to convey more hope to other sufferers and not the bleak message that gets often unwittingly transmitted that 'all is lost'
on 28 February 2011
I loved this book. Ms. Saks is an absolute inspiration. As a service user and mental health professional, I was surprised to find I drew parallels with her story and my own, as well as with individuals I work with in the community. She touches on the details that make us feel uncomfortable about psychosis, I think. Her story is not romanticised and that is why I love it so much.
on 17 February 2014
I found this book really readable, and had the utmost admiration for the writer who, although clearly affected by the symptoms of her illness, didn't allow it to define her or stop her from doing what she wanted to do with her life.
on 12 January 2016
A privilege to be allowed an insight into Professor Sak's journey through life with schizophrenia. I found this book an inspiration - I don't have a mental illness and to learn what people who do go through on a daily basis and be able to manage an ounce of normal life is astonishing and humbling. From an academic point of view, the ethical and philosophical questions this books asks about how people who suffer from mental illness are treated, by the law and by others, is hugely insightful and an important lesson for us all to learn. Especially how we probably don't know how many people close to us are just battling to get through the day without breaking down. Highly recommended.
on 6 November 2016
From my experience, books written on the subject of Schizophrenia are well worth reading. I have suffered for ten years with the illness and so was on the search for a book that could be helpful to me. Elyn R. Saks manages to cover the beginnings and ongoing suffering in such a professional manner that this book crosses into the arena of the best seller. It is insightful, simply told and at times totally shocking. I consider this to be the best and most useful books on the subject and would recommend it to anyone who would be interested in a seriously good read.
on 29 November 2013
This is the best account I have ever read of what it is like to experience psychosis. Elyn Saks doesn't hold back on her detailed descriptions of her disorder and distress, but it is also inspirng as to how she managed to continue with her studies -sometimes against medial advice - and chieve an outstadning academic career.
on 6 June 2016
A very moving book about a woman's struggle with mental illness. After reading what Elyn Saks accomplished, I actually feel inspired to overcome the barriers in my life.

I also found Elyn's writing to contain much more humour than I had expected.