Customer reviews

on 6 August 2012
This is a sizable volume containing three parts. New artists draw the first and last stories making characters look slightly different. This is most notable in the opening story. With the different time periods there is a little leeway in such matters and the spirit of American Vampire ultimately shines through.

We begin with is a single issue tale concerning Skinner's early years. Whist it doesn't contribute too much to the details of Snyder's world it is a wonderfully poignant tale of nostalgia and mortality. It has a lot to say and is most eloquent about it.

Next is an odd concept indeed. Vampire and vampire hunters join forces to combat an unholy menace in wartime Japan. It is a massive gumbo of every war story you can think of with elements of Band of Brothers, Dirty Dozen, Predator and more. Real places and events (Unit 731, the atomic bomb) are here but given the Vampire spin. At first sight it could easily be mistaken for a war story or ensemble buddy movie, but underneath is a beating emotional heart about the lives and loves of real people (some of whom are vampires). The art is great with regular artist Albuquerque doing the whole story. The signature bold mono-palettes and murky tones do a great job of translating from wild west to jungle warfare.

Finally you have Vampire Nazis. Or should that be Nazi Vampires. This alone should be enough to convince you get hold of this book. The tale is homage to Where Eagles Dare complete with snowy mountain castles, sleeper agents and daring rescues. And Motorbikes! But this isn't an action-fest, or just an action-fest, I should say. We learn a lot about Snyder's Vampire mythos and their ethnic cleansing agenda. We have some previous characters returning and doing a great job of telling an emotional and riveting tale. Sean Murphy steps in as artist and does sterling work maintaining a seamless style. Look for a great take on the familiar red eyes in the darkness. This is the best of three great tales.

There was a small blunder of the type Americans make when writing about Britain but you probably won't notice it. Overall this is very good indeed. You aren't quite sure where - or more accurately when - Snyder is going take you next and even though the choices might seem to be unlikely at first they all prove to be winners. Absolutely a Thumbs Up!
on 20 February 2013
Another excellent addition to the series. While I felt that part 3 had a light edge on this one it's still a very easy decision to give it 5 stars as it's just way ahead of most of what's going on in the comic world.

In this addition we have two storylines. The first is back when Skinner was still human and fighting in the Indian wars alongside Jim Book of all people. We get a bit of back story on the two and also get to see the man Skinner was before becoming an outlaw or vampire. We also get to meet a very old vampire which adds to the building mythos.

In story number two we are introduced to Travis Kid who is basically a badass hell bent on revenge. Now although this isn't a very original plotline it is handled very well and is a very enjoyable read. The prologue of this one however felt like a totally separate storyline and again introduces us to another new breed of vampire.

I liked that Skinner was in a lot of this book and missed seeing Pearl pop up. With this one it just felt like the story is just going to keep getting bigger and bigger. I've loved every page of American Vampire so far and I can't wait to see what happens next. I just hope future issues are a bit bigger as this felt a lot smaller than the third instalment.

A thoroughly enjoyable read. Bring on part 5.
on 14 May 2013
This volume dovetails neatly and often very subtly into the American Vampire universe so make sure you re-read the previous books. There are three stories here, the first goes way back into Book and Skinner's history and the other two move the story into the 1950's.

Snyder is a master of storytelling, slowly planting seeds and drip feeding you clues until you work out what is going on in a satisfying epiphany. Rather than passively reading along you are encouraged to put together the pieces and work out the story for yourself.

Regular artist Albuquerque only draws one of the stories but the other artists are able to honour his style enough that you soon lose yourself in the world. All of them know better than to compete with the narrative and bide their time until a full page or double page spread gives them a chance to shine.

The world of American Vampire has grown beyond Skinner Sweet, and most of the characters we have met previously have some impact on the story here. There are no gratuitous cameos or clumsy crossovers. Everything happens for a reason, and usually one you hadn't suspected, but kick yourself for not seeing.

Brilliant storytelling deserving of a Thumbs Up!
on 10 February 2013
So far I have loved American Vampire but I was sceptical about this issue as I knew it was set in the war which I've never had an interest in.

The first part "Strange Frontier" which is only one comic I found to be completely pointless and add nothing to the story. I didn't like the artwork by Danijel Zezelj at all either.

The second storyline " Ghost War" was my favourite with Skinner, Pearl and Henry taking up the main roles, a new type of vampire being introduced and stunning artwork by Rafael Albequerque.

The third storyline "Survival of the Fittest" was excellent also and we again get another new artist Sean Murphy who's artwork is excellent. Probably the best in the series after Albequerque.

All in all this was probably my favourite so far. It just keeps getting better. Even though the first part was a bit disappointing it was only a few pages and overall this was still a definite five star read for me. Can't wait on part 4 arriving.
on 30 August 2012
If you are under the impression I have got the title wrong then please refer back to my volume 1 review so you will get the idea. Yep I am aware it is "American Vampire" but it is an Amazing Vampire Story. Especially this Volume. In this volume you can see how powerful "The Vassals of the Morning Star" has become over the years and as the story progress. New recruits including our "Cash" takes us through an amazing journey. At the same time we understand some terrifying secrets about the Vamps. It is a must read volume in the series and I am not going to say much. I am awaiting delivery of the Volume 4 but if you love comics and appreciate classic art work and penciling it is a highly recommended buy. 5 star.
on 4 April 2018
Always a great read.
on 21 February 2016
very good. product as described and delivered quickly.
on 21 February 2016
very good. product as described and delivered quickly.
on 16 July 2014
A decent communication of the series. A new character is introduced. I would have Liked to have seen more of the older characters but I'm sure they'll be back. I look forward to more in the series.
on 23 December 2013
I love this series - regular xmas and birthday pressies! Art work and story are rivieting - a cracking buy!