Customer reviews

on 6 July 2014
Oh boy! I read Vol. 3 of this title and it left me eager to continue on and I am hooked with this volume. Batman goes postal!! Wow, is he ever stuck at the anger step of grief. He doesn't kill but he's out on the town debilitating criminals anyway he can with a vengeance. A very dark and broody Batman, more so than ever. Even I wanted him to cheer up and get some closure. The other great thing here is all the Batfamily make appearances, some longer than others, even Catwoman!, to try and help the Bat release the hate and deal with the death. But they all kind of give a bit of detail as to what is going on in their stories too, which I enjoyed, since I read most but not all of the other series. Finally the issue where Batman kidnaps Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. is awesome! There is an interesting new character as well ... could it be the new Robin?? Great volume. I didn't read V1 or 2 but I'll be sure to continue on with 5 now.
on 2 June 2016
I put off reading this for a long time since it sometimes feels like Batman has his own literary genre of misery p*rn, and I didn't think that I could witness much more of his tragedy without giving up reading comics altogether. The "silent" issue is absolutely lovely, and the artwork is really beautiful throughout the whole edition. In the later issues Batman's grief becomes quite terrifying, but I guess that would happen when you're constantly bottling up your feelings and silently wallowing in decades of grief whilst wearing a Batsuit. The dialogue was a bit cheesy throughout, but I think that this is a personal issue that I have with Tomasi's writing, and probably isn't noticeable if you're used to him.
on 26 March 2015
I read a library copy of the paperback.
(The one I read had a slightly different cover too - there appears to be many versions of this book but I believe the contents are all the same.)
This is a masterclass in superheroic grief.
I think it is fair to believe that Damian will be back - as with most of these Super-hero deaths - it's all about the journey.
In this case Batman is not accepting the death very well and we get issues detailing the various well-documented stages of grief alongside embers of the Batman family.
They're all here, Red Robin, Red Hood, Batgirl, Nightwing and Catwoman, but it is probably Alfred who has the most poignant moment.
Frankenstein agent of SHADE gets some nasty treatment early on but Bruce does gradually calm to a sensible level of behaviour by the close of the trade.
The back blurb hails the `critically acclaimed silent issue' and it is a triumph as I had not realized how silent it was, such was the emotional hold in had on me as I read it..
Wonderful art throughout and clever characterisation that packs an emotional punch throughout the journey shared here.
Damian as Robin is one of the greatest new comics creations of recent times and although he is not actually in this collection he shines as it's star from cover to cover.
Yes this is `volume 4' yes you've missed a lot if you pick the story up here but you'll miss far more if you pass this by.
Recommended.
on 1 July 2015
Fabulous comic book! Excelent job of Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason! I recomended!
on 3 November 2016
delighted I got it in the post
on 10 June 2014
Damian Wayne was the best thing to happen to Batman comics in years. The concept of a borderline psychotic Robin was a brilliant way of altering the dynamic between the dynamic duo to create something truly fresh and new.

I wasn't massively happy with the way he was killed off in Batman Inc mainly because that whole storyline became a mess that's difficult to place in context with 'The new 52' relaunch.

Anyhow, this volume deals with Bruce Wayne trying to come to terms with the death of his son. Apart from the first story which is a bit special the rest are pretty generic tales of alienation revenge and acceptance. It's by no means terrible but it feels like a disappointing epitaph for one of DC' s best characters in years.
on 12 April 2016