Customer reviews

on 25 October 2013
A great collection of all the Golden Age Superman comics from June 1938 to December 1940. This was exactly what I want and expect from an omnibus, it's a nice way to get a large collection of sequential comic books without all the messing around trying to work out which ones you have and which ones you need, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if they bring out a Vol. 2. Be slightly wary if you're expecting the later style of Superman, their is a big contrast. Most of the story-lines are ridiculous, but it seems that the more absurd they are the more I enjoy them. Definitely worth every penny.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 July 2016
I have collected Superman comics from about the age of 5 or 6 and now approaching 60 the hero still does it for me. I used to run from school to go to the second hand comic shop and run through the penny pile to get as many old Superman comics as I could. I didn't much care for condition, it was the story which got me. This was in the 1960's and Superman an DC comics had only been imported for a period from 1958 so trying to get early Superman stories was impossible. Oh how I want to read the early 1940's and 50's comics.

This Omnibus has filled that gap. Stories from both Action Comics and Superman from the beginning. I really like to follow how the Man of Steal has changed over the years from bounding over buildings in one leap to flying, from faster than a speeding bullet to having super-speed. From being a ore violent character to the Superman we know today.

Great value and great book.
on 20 March 2014
This book is a dream come true. It goes all the way back to the original Superman comics .You can see Superman gradually change as the comic matures and it has so many stories that it will keep you busy reading for a long time. I hope they do a similar book for the Batman comics.

Buy this book, it's unbelievable.
on 30 August 2016
A beautiful price of history. Any die hard Superman or DC fan should own this.
No, the stories are not as imaginative as the later comics and some of the takes can get a bit repetetive. But repetetive awesomeness is still awesome. If I had to describe this collection in one word, I'd say "FUN". It's a great read, maybe read a story or two each night before you go to bed (that's what I did). It introduces Lex Luthor, but the stand out villain in this collection is defiantly Ultra-Humanite. Superman mostly faces mob bosses, corrupt politicians, Jewel theifs etc. So it's great when you start reading another issue in this collection and realise Ultra Humanite has debuted/returned. Eventually Lex is introduced and takes Ultras place as Supermans arch enemy, though he doesn't out do Ultra quite yet.
All in all this book is perfect... I'll be buying volume 2 and 3 when its released.
on 10 August 2013
Probably, pages are obtained from old microfilms and are not scanned directly from originally printed comic books or original artworks. So the lines of the pictures are burned or missing. Maybe DC should leave this kind of issues to IDW or Fantagraphics, who know how to do them very well.