on 22 September 2014
very very very good however its needs to be bought with the court of owls volume 1 by batman some of the court of owls volume 2 stuff is in the book so it is a slight spoiler but the fact that it shows what every member of the bat family is doing during that night and also list some origins of the talons which might i add are freakin awesome, a seriously interseting concept and amazing GN would reccomened getting this with court of owls volumes though as i did otherwise youll be very confused.
on 9 November 2013
Fantastic! I absolutely love the new Batman! This volume does not actually have a number sequence. I've personally called it Vol. 2.5 in my collection, thinking that is where it best belongs for reading order, though it *could* be read as 1.5 between vol. 1 & 2. What happens here is most of Vol. 2 The City of Owls is collected in this large volume (not *all* mind you, but a large portion). Therefore, I think it is to be most appreciated read by fans after volume 2, jmho. While The City of Owls concentrates on the Court story and the identity of the mysterious turn-coat assassin and the secret deep in Bruce's family. This volume, only touches upon that secret identity and instead focuses upon everything that happened that one specific night when Alfred put out the call to the Bat family for their help in protecting the targeted "shapers & movers" of Gotham. So in between the issues (chapters) from Batman: City of Owls there are collected issues from the comics All-Star Western, Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman: Detective Comics, Batgirl, Batwing, Birds of Prey, Nightwing, Batman and Robin, Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws. We see what each of these heroes/villains did that night to help stop the Court of Owls in Batman's hours of darkest need. I just loooved the huge collection of various characters. Some I'd never read or heard of before, others had me intrigued and it was great seeing some of my old-time favourites again. One thing I liked that had confused me in Vol. 2 was that a second story about Mr. Freeze which occurs prior to it but in an issue of "Red Hood" makes more sense of that story arc and why he just appeared the way he did in "Batman". Loved that part. Also like how the Harper Row episode was omitted in this volume as it has nothing to do with the Court of Owls arc.

How I'm left feeling after reading this? The book ends the same as Vol. 2 (minus Harper) leaving the Owls story in the same place and I'm anxious to continue on with the story. I have the next volume on pre-order. As to the other comics that were gathered here: All-Star Westerns was a short, brief piece which gave me no insight into the characters I wasn't familiar with though I enjoyed it; I loved all the various Batman issues but none so far have tempted me to start reading them (I'm going to stick with plain old "Batman" for the time being), though I had always been a fan of Detective Comics in the past and loved the Arkham Asylum story here; I'd like to meet up with Batgirl again she interested me and I could possibly be interested in reading her, Batwing I'd never heard of and he didn't impress me in this little glimpse of him; Nightwing again totally thrilled me and I am putting in an order to read him; I've never liked Catwoman (except Eartha Kitt on the old TV Show LOL) and haven't changed my mind; but Red Hood, who is new to me, has me very intrigued and would like to meet up with him again also to see if I'd like to read his series. The artwork is all over the place with so many artists at work here, but it all flushes together well and Capullo has a major presence that unifies it, however it is a beauty of a book to browse through. One thing I'm also enjoying with this series is all the new background information we are getting on the characters. I'm not a diehard and don't know/remember all this stuff but I can tell that some of it is retelling what has been accepted from previous histories but that we are getting deeper, darker new versions added into it as well, I love the flashback episodes!
on 15 April 2014
Yes, if you buy every issue or every trade of every Bat-Family title out there I can understand you being a bit peeved that this has some and not all of the stories of each significant player but not their extended own tales.
This works purely and beautifully as a CROSS-OVER-EVENT.
It is contained to JUST the issues that are significant parts OF THAT EVENT!
I have, courtesy of my various local libraries read a few of the new52 Bat- Family trades and liked most of them but I BOUGHT this !.
That is how I see it working best. It is a celebration of all good about the crossover without all the subtle nuances that each title may have.
Think of it as a taster piece for all the titles included AND a coherent story.
Buy it for that reason – but BUY IT!
What is here is excellent story, incredibly well paced. It keeps interest without being repetitive, not only with the expertly crafted Court-of-Owls and their Talons as adversaries but also a well interwoven Mr Freeze plotline that makes perfect sense.
The art obviously varies but there is an overall consistency that helps the reader believe all these characters are in the same city over the same night’s events.
I cannot think of a less than incredible point.
I cannot recommend this highly enough.
I have been reading comics for over 40 years, I wholeheartedly recommend this trade.
This is a collection of the crossover-issues featuring the fight with the Court of Owls, who made their appearance in Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls TP (The New 52), and met their fate in Batman Volume 2: The City of Owls HC (The New 52). In that latter volume, the Court of Owls unleashed their army of zombie ninjas on Gotham, hitting Wayne Manor and the Batcave with one force, while another went off to assassinate the City’s top officials. This volume collects All Star Western #9, Batman #8-11, Batman Annual #1, Batman: The Dark Knight #9, Detective Comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of prey #9, Nightwing #8 & #9, Batman & Robin #9, Catwoman #9, and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9. The only thing missing is Batman #12, which is the climax to the Court of Owls story, so you’ll still have to read the City of Owls collection for closure. I read library copies of both, so check out your local library and let your taxes work for you. Some of the stories collected here, such as All Star Western, give us historical background of the Court of Owls, though most are directly related to the big battle raging throughout the city during the Night of the Owls storyline. Some are ‘filler’ stories, some, like the Nightwing issues, are an integral part of the deep background this story is trying to establish for the New 52 Batman family. If you have been reading the Owl storyline in the Batman comic, then you will want to read this in order to fill in some gaps in the main collection – gaps I didn’t even notice until I read this!

My only complaint is that they missed out Batman #12, but then, if they’d included it, they’d have to explain who the main character was, as he was introduced in the Court of Owls collection…

My other quibble is the scene set in Gotham in 1664, since, if Gotham is even loosely based on New York, it wasn’t acquired from the Dutch until the peace treaty of 1666. And the locals wouldn’t have referred to ‘British’ soldiers, as they themselves would have been ‘British’. And it is unlikely there’d be British soldier in America in the 17th century.
on 14 July 2015
This is an interesting collection that adds a bit more context to the fantastic Court and City of Owls storyline from Batman. Because this is a collection of a bunch of different stories the quality does vary from story to story. It seems the main purpose of the collection is to add a bit more humanity into the various Talons as most stories start with a set up of what the Talon was doing before they were recruited by the Court.

The comic also contains a large chunk of City of Owls so if you are reading this right after that you might find yourself a bit frustrated since although a lot of this is a reprint from Batman, it doesn't give you the full story. So it can feel a bit cynical.

It is however a great taster for the wider range of comics set in Gotham and if you are wanting to expand your comic tastes this should give you a good idea of what you are wanting to move on to or avoid.
on 24 July 2013
Batman: Night of the Owls ties in with the spectacular "The Court of Owls/City of Owls" saga which is told in volumes 1 and 2 of The New 52's Batman. While the story is amazing in the Batman comics, his spinoffs' involvements are less than enjoyable.

The comics aren't poorly written, it's just that the collection compiles one or two issues from the different Batman spinoffs, and it's very hard to read considering the rest of the individual series' are not explored. We get sub-plots from the solo adventures that we can't understand. I'm sure the stories are very good, I just don't think that I should have to buy a whole graphic novel of something I don't really care for to get the whole story. Luckily, they don't affect the main owls storyline in Batman's comics.

If you want to look at the lives of Batgirl, Batwing, Robin or whoever else in Batman's world, this may be good for you. However, I prefer full stories and this collection offers beginnings without endings, endings without beginnings and anything in between.
on 4 May 2014
As far as the new 52 storyline go, this batman run has got to be the best series. Excellent story and all ties together nicely. This book is a good follow up to Batman #2 and shows a bit of insight on the situations of the rest of the bat family once the talons start to take over the city.
on 18 February 2015
This is a nice collection but only as a supplement to the city of owls, which has the full storyline. Get the court and city of owls first, then if you want more, this has some nice parallel stories featuring the rest of the bat family.
on 3 August 2016
This book continues use of the court of owls in an effective way. It's history could be endless with so many different Talons at their ranks and Batman and company must face them. I won't spoil anything important but the action scenes are pretty well done and art is very stylish and nice. I would give this book a 9 out of 10 just cause I kind of wanted more from it but I can not really complain and I am a fan of villains and there are just villains everywhere.
on 24 June 2014
Great! Good story and design well! Hight quality! the writer is excelent! The Inker and designer are good! Its Nice!