Customer reviews

on 25 December 2017
This is it. It's over. It feels strange that after all the time, I'm finally done with the series.

This was a short book, quick, to the point. The Wake was the perfect way to say goodbye to all the characters we've grown to know throughout the series. They all come back to attend The Dream Lord's wake, remembering him, telling stories, some good, some bad - a sense of loss hugely palpable in the air.

The Dream Lord himself has been reborn and is witnessing his own wake. I'm not sure I liked that part very much, not sure he should have been reborn. The idea of having really lost him would have been a lot more powerful, in my opinion.

After the wake, the book goes on to tell 3 different stories about characters we've met before. They were good stories, but again, I wasn't sure of the relevance of having them to finish off the Sandman series. I understand the parallels drawn from Shakespeare writing his last ever play for Morpheus, and Neil Gaiman writing the last installment of the series, but I kind of wished for a different ending. One where we got to see more of his siblings, more of the loss felt, more of this new Dream Lord, who some have accepted and others haven't.

Good ending, not the greatest though.
on 6 January 2017
The Tempest Shakespeare story - 40 pages to finish the Sandman series; an awesome ending, brilliant. The rest of The Wake: the time when people from diverse parts of the life come together to remember. After a second reading, and submerging myself in these characters, this ios a brilliant, fitting conclusion.
on 6 February 2013
Obviously I won't spoil the plot, but any devoted Sandman follower knows what's coming in Volume Ten.
All I can really say is prepare yourself for one powerful emotional rollercoaster, and three excellent short stories following it; all allowing a certain King to say goodbye.
Never cried reading a book before, but Matthew's speech just ripped me apart. So really, definitely get this book if you want to [and you should] finish the series, but just...be ready.
on 2 January 2013
"The Wake" is something I have been looking forward to for months, ever since I started my "Sandman" read-through back in January 2012. Waiting for this new edition to be published was well worth it, though.
I highly recommend these new editions over the original TPs because the colours are so much better and there is more additional content with editor letters and so on throughout.
Story-wise, "The Wake" was the perfect ending to the the series. Bittersweet and whimsical, it is Gaiman at his finest.
on 10 April 2016
excellent ,just what I wanted
on 16 March 2018
Excellent
on 29 December 2015
I needed this for my collection. Perfect.
on 3 February 2018
Masterpiece
on 31 December 2012
My son is a great fan of these books and is thrilled to add this to his collection. Arrived in good time for Christmas
on 30 July 2014
Rounding out my sandman collection. Love them.