Customer reviews

on 15 March 2017
SOME BOOK THIS LIKE! Thick as anything, the biggest book which I have ever owned and, just 50 pages in thus far I must say what Mr Spock used to say 'FASCINATING'! 'Tis a work of genius, much subtle and delightful - luv it with only 900 pages to go reading slow.......
on 6 April 2017
the heviest book in the world
on 8 July 2015
currently still reading this behemoth!

an engrossing comic that invites the reader to engage in pathways of thought that aren't travelled on too often.
what at first is jarring and confusing soon becomes immersive and interwoven.

the book itself is heavy! it's huge and definitely something you'll only be reading at home.
on 15 August 2013
I love the Invisibles. I loved it when it first came out and I've loved crawling through this Omnibus edition. It bears rereading; I've read it four times now and got something new out of it each time.

My criticisms of this edition are, paradoxically, that it is not quite complete and that it is too big.

It is incomplete because, for a completist like me, it lacks three important items: the letter column editorials by Mark Millar when Morrison was in intensive care (presumably because of the fall out between Millar and Morrison), the short story "I'm a policeman" from Sarah Champion's anthology Disco 2000 which is very much a companion piece to the story "And we're all policemen" which is included; and "It was the 90s" - another text piece from another anthology edited by Sarah Champion called Fortune Hotel.

It's too big because, well, at over 1,500 pages, my arm feels like it is going to fall off every time I hold it for more than 2 minutes. Indeed, the size is what has lead to it taking me so long to read - you can't take it anywhere! I was thinking at one stage of getting a lecturn just so I could read this book, but decided that was going too far.

My perfect edition would be a three volume slipcase edition - one for each of the main arcs - with all the additional companion text pieces mentioned above included. But for now, this will have to do.

A final note: if you do want to read more deeply, not only are Flex Mentallo and the Filth required reading, working as they do as companion pieces, but so are Zenith and Final Crisis. I kind of feel that Morrison has been telling the same story again and again for 30 years which would be a criticism if he didn't do it so damn well.
on 25 September 2013
I missed Invisibles when it came out years ago. I'm very familiar with Morrison's work but I've always been more hooked into the likes of Sandman, Watchmen, Authority, The Boys, Y-The Last Man, Ex Machina, Planetary... I had a feeling that Invisibles would easily fit into that group.

And it does!

Although, omnibus is a handful. It makes you stay up pretty late several nights in a row.
on 22 January 2013
I never read the invisibles before buying this collection.
I have to say it is a slow read but very enjoyable.
What makes it slow is the depth of story and the understanding of the characters.
Arguable Grant Morrison's best work.
on 9 March 2014
A heavy, amazing book from the author we all know and love. If you're not a Morrison fan, stay away until you become more familiarized with his work; or dive into this outstanding world.

Also, a kudos for the packaging. Best one from TheBookDepository yet.
on 25 July 2016
nice copy all perfect
on 10 November 2012
No, it's not that Grant Morrison's opus magnum is disappointing, I haven't even started reading it. It's just about the size. Over fifteen hundred pages is just just too much for one comic book. That's a monster you can barely lift with one hand. Forget about any comfort of reading, and I have my concerns about its longevity as well.

What a shame that DC have not decided to split it into two volumes (with slipcase this would be perfect), two ~ 750-800 pages would work out so much better... There's many more interesting Vertigo series out there deserving omnibus treatment, like Milligan's Shade, Aaron's Scalped, Wagner's Sandman Mystery Theatre or Morrison's Doom Patrol. Having similar length, I just hope that DC editors will have some common sense and more respect for readers, and publish them in smaller, wieldier books.

This one's just too freakin' large.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2014
Giant ovesize omnibus... al in! :)