Customer reviews

on 12 September 2013
**Spoiler-free**
I'm a little fussy when it comes to graphic novels. It's not because I think I'm an expert or authority on what's good or bad, it's just that I don't want to waste my hard earned cash on something poorly written or poorly drawn. Let me say that 'All Star Superman' is neither of these and well worth you parting with your money!

I've always been a Batman person myself, but decided to take a punt on reading some Superman stories and seeing if 'The Man of Steel' was worth my time. I've grown up with the films but never really been tempted to see what the Superman character was like in the comics - the gritty, dark world of Gotham has always been the big draw to me! So, I did my research and this story was consistently referred to in the many 'Top Ten Superman' lists.

Let's just say it's a fantastic introduction to Superman. The story, don't worry no major spoilers here, is based around Lex Luthor tricking Superman into saving the lives of some astronauts and in the process exposing himself to high levels of solar radiation. Now Superman is more powerful than ever but the cost is he is dying! He decides to 'put his house in order' and complete a set of 'bucket-list' tasks before the end.

Let's just say the story is unique and I really found it hard to put down, though I did hold off reading the last part for a whole day because I didn't want it to end. The artwork is fantastic - something I think is as important as plot. The dynamic between Lex and Superman was really interesting and there were moments that really touched me, sounds cheesy but one scene with Superman visiting a hospital was quite moving - this from a man who's favourite graphic novel is The Dark Knight Returns!

So, in a nutshell a fantastic read for all the right reasons, and a novel that has got me interested in looking for more top quality Superman stories. Handled the right way, Superman can be a character well worth investing in!
on 21 December 2013
I'd never really enjoyed superman before reading this, I thought he was too good, too perfect. But this alternate story-line really got my imagination going and changed the way I thought about the man of steel.
on 18 July 2017
great short stories that are all part of the wider volume, and the artwork is beautiful.
on 2 March 2017
A must own for any comic or graphic novel fan
on 20 December 2014
An excellent story.

For those unfamiliar, this is a 12 part short arch written as being outside the usual DC universe, not affecting that continuity of usual cannon. This specific volume incorporates volumes 1 and 2 of the graphic novels, which is a bargain for the price. This is a one off arch and has no sequels, which is a shame.

**** spoilers ****

The story is essentially that superman gets his body super exposed to the sun's radiation and is now dying. Before the dies he performs a number of tasks, and defeats a number of enemies for one last time. This includes going to the underzone, fighting lex and encounters with bizarro. In the end superman lays down his life to save the sun and the planet.

**** end spoilers ****

A good story arch told at a good pace. An enjoyable volume with an interesting story. The art was of superman was unique focusing more on his demeanour rather than the usual muscle ripped illustrations most of us are familiar with.

A satisfying volume and recommended.
on 13 December 2011
**This review is spoiler-free**
Admittedly, I know of many comic fnas who do not appreciate Morrison's work, be it his highly successful Batman & Robin run or one of his original works, but I find myself in the other camp. The one which loves Morrison's work and are proud of it! So when I saw that his praised work, All-Star Superman was being released as a complete edition, I decided it would definitely be worth my purchase. Having read the book, I can safely say that it is a marvellous piece, particularly if you are enjoying Morrison's current run on Action Comics in DC's New 52 reboot despite this series not being linked to that series in any significant way.
The premise behind DC's, now defunct, All Star imprint was to partner DC Comics' top tier characters with the most popular and acclaimed writers and artists. The creators had access to all elements in the characters' histories to present their interpretation for a modern audience that have not read these DC characters' comics previously, or had not seen them lately. The creative teams were not beholden to any previous and present continuities, and told stories that featured "the most iconic versions of these characters".
So this All Star series combiend the writing talent of Morrison with the artistic touch of Frank Quitely, and it makes for quite the combination.
The premise of the book is simple - Superman gets too close to the sun, thus absorbing more yellow sun rays than his natural Kryptonian cell metabolism can handle, meaning he is going to die. This, with the usual comic book proviso of no cure existing, makes for an interesting read, with Superman trying to accomplish many things before his seemingly inevitable death. But the really good thing about this plot? All Star Superman takes place outside of regular DC Continuity, meaning that if Morrison wants to tell the story, Superman CAN die in the series, something which is well worth remembering as you read.
Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty of the review.
The book is a collection of the complete 12 issue maxi-series, All Star Superman which originally ran from January 2006 through to October 2008. The series has preiviously been collected as two trade paperback volumes, consisting of six issues in each, but this complete edition features all 12 issues along with an enjoyable behind-the-scenes segment penned by Morrison, featuring sketches, production art and alternative covers to some issues.
It is a good book for those who are new to the DC Universe, for example if you have indulged in the New 52 reboot and want to get a handle on Superman's past. It is a story which requires very little prior knowledge regarding Superman, other than the facts that Lex Luthor is obssessed with trying to beat Superman, and that Superman's powers come from Earth's yellow sun. Everything else will be loosely explained within the book.
Finally, the artwork. Frank Quitely did a great job with the art, producing gorgeous characters who showed real expression, but his most impressive feat was the differentiation between Clark Kent and Superman in the book. Most books show Kent and Superman as one and the same, except Kent has slicked back hair and glasses. Quitely takes this a step further, drawing Kent as though he is a totally different character with a slight hunch and a pronounced stomach. This artistic style along with Morrison's bumbling, clumsy Kent makes for an entertaining character who is simultaneously the same as Superman and completely different to Superman. I would definitely recommend this book to any fan of Superman, Morrison or even someone totally new to comics.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2015
I adore this book. This was one of the first comic books to really get under my skin and to my mind is the definitive iteration of Superman. I picked this book up a skeptic and put it down a believer.
on 9 February 2013
Easily one of the best Superman stories ever told. This was also the first Superman story I have ever read, and you know what? I loved it. It was a great place to start reading about the character. Nothing more to say really. It's incredible. If you can't take my word for it, look at the six other five star reviews. All Star Superman, have another five stars.
on 23 May 2015
There is literally nothing wrong with this book, the art is magnificent and elegant throughout and the story is interesting and comical in parts too.

To describe this as the best Superman book ever would be an understatement, this is what the Man Of Steel is really all about and it's something that will be spoken about for decades to come i'm sure.
on 8 September 2015
The best Superman story I have ever read.Well written & beautiful artwork,that's all you need to know.