on 17 July 2016
One of the best stories I've read ever, let alone this year.

So, here's the thing. I'm not a huge reader of comics or graphic novels. In fact, I can honestly say, I've only read a handful of them, very carefully selected or recommended by people I know and trust. However, with this series...it was a mood. I was in the mood to delve into the world of graphic novels, but not the usual Superman, Batman stuff, and The Sandman series happen to be one of the top rated series of all times. I went for it on a whim. Ordered the whole thing! Crazy, I know, for someone who's never even been interested in this type of thing.

Once the set arrived, I immediately began reading the first installment, which seemed to be a collection of seven issues. I was amazed at how engrossed I became in the happenings of Morpheus - Lord of Dreams - and his captivity and all that it led to. It was such a dark and thrilling tale, going off on tangents here and there, only to have it all tied up and connected quite nicely in the end. When I finished it, I reached out for the second book, but stopped myself. It was so good, a world so brilliantly created, that I wanted to prolong it for as long as I possibly could. The only way I knew how to do that was to spread out the readings rather than devour them all at once. So I picked up another book, and forced myself out of this world, with the knowledge that I will be back there soon.

The series begins in the 1900s with Roderick Burgess, a man who dabbles with magic, as he attempts to summon and capture Death in order to achieve immortality, only to find that he had instead captured Dream. With no way out of the circle of dark magic that Burgess created, Dream is unable to free himself and therefore decides to bide his time until a time when he can, knowing that eventually, Burgess will have to slip somehow. However, it isn't Roderick Burgess who slips, but his son - after his death. When Roderick dies, his son Alexander carries on his father's imprisonment of Dream, not knowing what else he could possibly do. After almost a century of captivity, 70 or so years to be exact, Alexander inadvertently breaks the spell that holds Dream in the circle allowing him to access the sleep of his captors and free himself, punishing them in the process. And what greater punishment is there than to have them live in a constant nightmare for the rest of their lives?

As Dream proceeds to return to his Dream realm, he finds that a lot has changed in the years he's been gone. His world has been destroyed, some people have been caught in a coma of dreams and his 3 totem of powers have gone missing. He realizes he cannot fix anything until he gains back his totem of powers, and so begins the search for them as he travels to restore his power one piece at a time.

What a dark and mysterious world, and what incredible character development. You can tell that this installment is meant to act as a backdrop to the rest of the series, introducing us to Dream and other characters and slowly setting us up for what's coming next. The end of this book brings us face to face with none other than Death...Dream's older sister. Yes, Death is a female and is a sassy, young and attractive one to boot, and you can tell that she will be playing a very integral role in the parts to come.

Neil Gaiman slowly builds up Dream's characters, allowing us to see bits and pieces of him, one story at a time. Although strangely alluring, there's also something dark and twisted about him. You root for him, but you're not sure why. You realize there's more to him and it's not all good.

He's a hero, but a flawed one for sure.
on 20 February 2015
The story is of course excellent - it's not my favourite of the series but still deserves the 5 stars.

This review is more on the kindle version, which I bought in addtion to my exsiting print copy. I sopped reading this on my paperwhite - although it will expand the panels for you I found it was still to small to make out clearly and not as enjoyable in black and white. I downloaded it to my iPad instead and found the colour and larger screen much more reader friendly.

So in short I would reccommend only buying the kindle version if you have a tablet to read it on (or plan to use a PC) rather than a paperwhite or kindle touch.
on 11 January 2018
Dated but awesome. Feels a bit like reading an Ian sinclair with its dreamy narrative. Started to go a little more conventional towards the end but nonetheless, like an Alan Moore this is why comics were invented.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 June 2014
Expensive but deserves its classic status. The artwork is very dated but the colours have been redone for trade paperback form and look much better than they did originally.

It is difficult to give a feel for the highly imaginative writing and images. It could be described as a fantasy of the personification of dreams and other forces called the Endless which are like gods or archetypes. Constantine from Hellblazer makes an appearance.
on 22 April 2013
Having read this volume right before Preacher, I inadvertently compared the two. Sandman is a lot more eerie, and has a lot less sex appeal, which works very well. What was particularly astounding was the art work which is so unconventional and varied. The picture frames aren't carefully aligned, symmetrical boxes but vary a lot, with pictures coming out of the frames. There is also experimentation with different art forms including art nouveau.
Neil Gaiman once again employs his love for Northern European folklore to construct his story, but creates a beautiful twist by entwining mythology with a contemporary, modern setting. The characters are less vengeful, less promiscuous, less human than those found in Preacher. Gaiman is involved with the Gods and the myths.
A beautiful work of art. I am excited to read the next ones!
on 20 April 2017
Amazing book and great seller. I totaly recomend them.
on 29 May 2017
After Watchmen this is the first time in years that I encounter a graphic novel capable of having the emotional, stylistic range of classic literature. This should be studied at school not even kidding. Absolutely fantastic.
on 5 July 2017
Bought as a gift for my son who really appreciated it.
on 15 November 2017
Wonderful
on 12 November 2017
It was good and if you don't like it you can go to [opposite of heaven].
Lucifer is waiting of you 👿 .