Customer reviews

Format: MP3 CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 April 2010
I picked this up because (A) I'd like to try and read more sci-fi, (B) the cover and title caught my eye, and (C) I'm always on the lookout for good comic fiction, and given the author's work on The Daily Show, I figured this might be a good bet. The story is about a hapless space rogue on the run from his creditors, who gets embroiled in a pretty girl's quest to smuggle something, all of which lands him in a bunch of dicey situations from which he must make daring escapes. If that all sounds very Han Soloish, well, it's probably intentional.

Now, I like a good swashbuckling space opera as much as the next person, but this one just didn't do it for me. In fact, I ended up putting it aside after reading 1/3 of it, something I hardly ever do. The humor is just way too campy (apparently it bears some resemblance to the work of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, two authors many of my friends revere, but I've never read), and not nearly clever enough to appeal to my own sensibilities (which run toward P.G. Wodehouse). The hero is just too much of a caricature of the space rogue popularized by characters like Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat, and is generally more annoying than amusing. The anti-corporate satire is more workmanlike than incisive, and 80-90 pages in, I just found myself too uninterested to continue. I dunno, maybe the whole humorous sc-fi thing just isn't for me.
on 10 September 2009
It is a book in the vein of Douglas Adams. A little slow in the beginning but in the end I couldn't put it down