VINE VOICETOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 August 2015
Peter Straub is an author who is intellectual and very slightly weird. He uses a theme, a parallel universe, and repeats it through stories which might seem unrelated but which actually roll off the back of one another. He is such a difficult author to review.

In 'The Night Room' Straub again uses the character of Timothy Underhill, also featured in Koko, Lost boy, Lost girl and others, as a portal between the real world and one that seems real but is far from it. Underhill flits around these novels and skips between time frames. In here he's the author of a novel whose 'bad guy' character has escaped from an alternative realm into the real world, maybe, and is out for revenge. Unfortunately; Underhill meets up with Winnie, another character created in the same novel, and they are both at risk which is a shame because she is his dream girl....in more ways than one.

What to do?. Possibly ask the spirit of your dead family for help?. They're appearing all over the place so that might be a possibility. Whatever happens; it's up to Underhill to wipe up the mess, solve the riddle and put the shadows back in the box with Winnie working alongside but; it's not that simple. Nothing is ever simple for Peter Straub or his fans!.

At times Straub is just too clever while at others the plot reads as if got bored and wandered off. Every so often he hit a vein of form good enough to drag me back in. If I'm being honest 'In the Night Room' isn't Straub's best work and I struggled. Not scary, though it has a few spooky moments, and the plot spins off too far and becomes oddly surreal - not in a good way.
on 17 October 2013
Peter Straub was a recommended to me for his meta narrative tricks. Timothy Underhill appears in a number of his books, but often as a different character. Each book is another interpretation of reality. In this story Timothy Underhill was the writer of Lost Boy Lost Girl, but the dead man he cast as a murderer in his book has returned from the spirit world for revenge. Now Timothy Underhill has to find out what really happened to the little girl and set the record straight, with only his dream woman for company.

This is a clever book, maybe too clever and if you enjoy the Dean Koontz/Stephen King brand of 'spiritual triumph' over horror stories you will like where this goes. I get the impression that this story would get more nuanced the more Straub books you read. Lost Boy Lost Girl is a real novel, but in this story, it's a fictional version of the events in this book. Eventually one would experience a multiverse of Timothy Underhills all living parallel lives. As a stand alone it's good spooky fun and enough to get me to look out for more Peter Straub.
on 19 May 2017
"In the Night Room" is a great novel. Peter Straub is a great writer for the midlands, if not the heartland, of America, because maybe they're two distinct population groups. So to get back on tangent, maybe P. Straub speaks for the Pol/Scand/Germano pop(ulation); so let's say 'Michigan Produce' is a good definition of Peter Straub and The Same's America.
(The heartland is Chris Stapeleton and he cain't get his Johnny to even mow his lawn- so Peter Straub never claimed to Wear Cowboy boots.)
Making comparisons is balderdash- and maybe the Author owes more to Germany (the forests of Hansel & Gretel) than to Poe (and other English Speakers (from the British Isles).
Anyway, I'll say Peter Straub is Michigan produce, and put an end to it.
on 7 June 2005
In the Night Room definitely isn't the best Straub book I've read, but still manages to keep me wondering, thinking, wanting more. He keeps the readers guessing what will happen next, since
his world of Millhaven seems to have it's own laws of nature, seems to be a wardrobe, through which to enter the spirit world.
The book deals with a complicated plot. Underhill, receiving threats from the evil spirit of serial killer Joseph Kalender, after having published a book about him that depicting him as abuser and killer of his own daughter; suddenly meets the main character of the book he is currently writing..
Could it be more complicated and unbelieavable?
It isn't necessary to have read Lost Boy Lost Girl, the novel where Kalender was first introduced, but I'd say it is imperative that you have indeed read some book/books of Straub's before, or you would soon get lost in the story.

Straub's language is at it's best and it is always scary how his evil characters choose their words. I don't know how he does it, but they always make me shiver.
I must confess that although I like tales of the unnatural, I would prefer Mr Straub not mixing quite so much.
I wish his qualities as a crime story writer, that were so obvious in the Throat and Mystery, would show more. I would like to see Tim Underhill solve other mysterious crimes, without the help of angels and spirits.

All in all, for Straub fans, the book is a must.
For other readers it may be a little hard to digest, but ever so brilliant in it's complications.
Buy it, read it and decide for yourselves!
on 17 January 2014
If you have never read Peter Straub before then DO NOT START WITH THIS BOOK! Peter Straub is a wonderful writer, but i think he must have been on ketamine when he produced this. I could say a number of things about it, but the most important thing was that i just didn't buy it.
on 31 May 2014
I bought this 2nd hand as I wasn't sure about the first Straub I read and now I'm definitely sure, Straub isn't for me. I don't rate the writing and am not scared by the tales.
on 21 January 2017
great book
on 16 May 2013
I was excited to find this book about Tim Underhill a character dear to me from other books by Peter Strain. Although the book is a good stand alone, it was spoiled for me
on 25 March 2014
Love peter straub, another brilliant book, once started I couldn't put it down, definitely worth a read if you love a good book
on 20 December 2014