Customer reviews

Introduction to Electrodynamics: Pearson New International Edition
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2014
The book itself is fine. (What can I say? I'm the author.) However, this version (the one with lightning on the cover) is seriously defective. This is not my fault (nor Amazon's)---it's the publisher's. Most of the text itself seems to be OK, but the index contains nonsense entries, the Table of Contents is screwed up, and there may be missing chapters (or chapters in the wrong order). If this bothers you, I urge you to contact Pearson, and demand a clean copy. It is appalling that they would mangle the book this way, without ever consulting the author.
33 Comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2015
There have already been a few reviews that have been pretty comprehensive so I will just say this: I had to do an electromagnetism module this year as part of my degree and I hated it, now that I have this book I find it one of the most compelling areas of physics. His marriage of insight and occasional humour helps to make working through it not a chore but an enjoyable activity.
on 4 September 2017
What can I say? Can you ever go wrong with a text by David Griffiths. This is as close to perfection as you can get in my eyes.
on 27 April 2017
Really good text book, quick delivery. Thank you
on 26 April 2016
I don't think I've ever left an Amazon review before, but I had to for this.
The content of the book is excellent, as others have said before. This is easily one of the best textbooks on EM I've ever read.
However, this edition is absolutely awful. Not to mention the errors in chapter numbering and indexing that people have discussed already, the book itself is just really awkward to read.
For some reason, the publisher decided to print the book on pages that are way too big, meaning the text only fills something like 40% of the available area (seriously, half a given page is just blank white space...). And the paper itself is flimsy, making the whole book cumbersome and floppy.
It's a shame I couldn't find another version of this book before my exams, because this crap certainly wasn't worth 40-odd quid...
on 14 June 2008
The education of the reader seems to be first priority here. The author is good at his explanations and the order of material has been well conidered.

My favourite feature is the relevance of the exercises for the reader. Sometimes I'm tempted to read the text and skip the hard work, but fortunately I resisted on this occasion. It feels like each exercise has been hand-picked to give the reader some new insight or appreciation, in a subject area which is full of subtleties and mathematical pitfalls.

This book is a must for someone learning electrodynamics. Jackson was another option, but I found this "bible" way too cumbersome and more of a reference book than an accompaniment to a course. I still used it, because the section on relativity is pretty good, and his tensor notation seems more common. It's expensive, so find it in a library.

Probably the best undergraduate text I've used.
on 28 January 2016
The book is amazing, intuitive, accessible yet deep. Nothing else to say, it is probably the king of undergraduate electromagnetics books.
BUT, do not get this edition, its crap and its Pearson's fault.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2008
This text book is without a doubt the best text book I own. The style of writing is brilliant, with Griffiths talking about electromagnetism in a relaxed but authorative manner. Unlike many other texts this does not hide behind technical language, and is clear and concise. Examples are well written and there a great number of problems to attempt.

This text is ideal for an undergraduate electrodynamics course, and I would highly recommend it, for it's highly approachable, and easily understood introduction to such a subject.
on 4 February 2016
Book is defective. "Changes" have been made without the authors acceptance. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION! Refer to halfway down on [...]
on 5 December 2003
This book is not only user friendly but also comprehensive and covers a good deal of what should be covered in a book about Electrodynamics. It is full of intuitive illustrations and good examples and explains in a nice Feynman-ish way.
It also supplies a very nice vector analysis intro. for those of you who need it (which is quite a critical organ in the body of knowledge of Electrodynamics and physics at large).
I also liked its habit of not ignoring pitfalls when it comes to understanding the basics as I think, that is one of the differences between understanding Physics and just knowing Physical facts.
I say hooray(hoorah in the UK??) for Griffiths, he's done it in a few fields but in this one it is a winner.
In summary, not only this book is perfect for the novice Electrodynamics technician (physicist/engineer/mathematician/curious people with lots of free time) but also for reference, for it has been so ever since I have it in my possesion and it is a great one (ref. that is).
And no, I've no relation to Griffiths what so ever ( but I wouldn't mind having one )