on 18 March 2013
I've read 70% of it and that's enough for me.

While it's not entirely without value, it's lazily written and lazily edited. It's chock full of cut and paste errors and plain old factual errors. At one point the author explains that to change mode, one must press the mode button and turn the main dial (the OM-D E-M5 doesn't have a mode button). In another section he spends three quarters of a page explaining how awesome his invention of the use of large colour pictures to describe the various controls of the camera is. He explains how to assign AEL/AFL to a button twice but at no point (as far as I can tell) does he explain what AEL/AFL are or how to use them. He also incorrectly describes the purpose of the focal length setting in the image stabilisation section of the menus.

My wife found it very amusing though. Every time I was reading it, I would regularly snort and mutter derisively which she found very entertaining.

It's nice to have a book in hand and like I said, it's not entirely without value but it's clearly a lazy, sloppy, cash-grab that could have been much more.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 October 2013
If like me you get the OMD-EM5, then you will be a bit put out that there is no manual. well not fully correct, the CD which comes with the camera does have a manual of sorts but this book is better. Better written, better images (ok there only ones of the camera on the CD). its well written, easy to follow and covers all you need to know. The menu on the Olympus is the trickiest I have used but following the book makes it easy-peasy to get the camera up and running in your choice of modes quickly. Got an Olympus OMD-EM5, then you need this book.
on 11 April 2013
I bought the book covering the E-5 by mistake, the covers are very, very similar. On receiving the correct book, I noticed that the introduction is identical to a large degree (word for word). Not really a problem but an indication that Mr Busch may churn out his books perhaps missing some of the finer points of the camera. There's a great deal about general photography increasing its size well beyond the ability to refer to it 'in the field'.
The OM-D's set-up procedures are simply arcane and the manual is next thing to useless. This necessitates a lot of web research (dpreview has a good article) and probably this book. I eventually found how to assign the Fn-1 button to centre the focal point with the aid of the book (it is not as straightforward as you might imagine). If you are reading this review, you've probably bought the camera, you just need to add the cost of the book to the price of the camera - Olympus, hang your head in shame!
on 12 May 2013
I was a little disappointed with this book. It mentions things but doesn't go into depth or make it clear how to achieve the effect, and if it tries it is often confusing.

Most of what you want to know is on the Internet, YouTube in particular, so why spend money?
on 26 December 2012
UPDATE
My replacement book has arrived and the binding is fine. Amazon handled this quickly and efficiently at no cost to me. I had contacted the author via the Amazon.com site and he offered to have the publishers in the US replace my book. I did not take up the offer as Amazon were taking action. All-in-all the problem was very well handled so plaudits to Amazon and the author David Busch.
I have not yet read the content thoroughly, but so far:
The good:
+ Clear progression from initial setup through to more complex functions
+ Plenty of excellent illustrations, easy to follow
+ Plenty of bullet-points, numbered paragraphs, so no need to wade through lengthy text
+ Seems pretty thorough
The negatives:
- The book assumes prior DSLR knowledge without recommendations, such as beginner set-up etc.
- Some topics seem a bit thin, (even wrong?) such as using a remote control
- Nothing on the Olympus Viewer 2 software

The negatives pull the rating back to four stars, but otherwise I am very pleased with this manual.

The original review:
The content looks very promising, but after five minutes the pages were falling out. Hopeless for a reference manual intended to be used time and again. Mine is being returned, but I'm fearful I'll have the same problem with the replacement.
on 24 May 2013
I have been struggling with this camera ever since I bought. The manual that I managed to get Olympus to send me, as it only comes digitally with the camera, probably has everything there but it is impenetrable in the extreme. This book has made it all much clearer and I suspect that I shall now begin using it properly.

It is well written, clearly set out with ample pictures and diagrams to illustrate the points. I wish I'd bought it straight away. I heartily recommend it.
on 17 January 2014
This book is talked about as the manual that Olympus should have provided. In short the download provided by Olympus explains what the controls are, while this book explains how best to use them and what the effects are. It also explains how certian controls can be customised to suit the user's particular requirements. For example, if portraiture is 'your thing' then being able to set up certain preferences instantly will help improve results and productivity. The book has helped me greatly to use this superb camera much more effectively and, if you compare its price to that of the camera in the first place, then it has to be good value for money. Downsides are few: the book spends a little too much time explaining general techniques for shooting videos (material that is not specifically OM-D related), and is a bit light on using OM-D accessories like timers and how best to do time-lapse etc. However, in my view it still well deserves its 5* rating.
on 13 July 2013
found it a bit disjointed each chapter related to other chapters but not the page. I would read a feature I was interested in but it would advise me to go to another chapter not page to find out how to use it.

It did not advise on the lens 12 to 50 which was included in the box and I had to refer to the on line Olympus manuel which was very good in advising me how to use the macro button on the lens.
on 15 February 2015
I bought this for my wife, to help her learn how to use her Om-D E-M5 in other than full auto mode.
She's been scared off up until now because although the standard manual describes each menu function, it does not take in to account that the reader might not fully understand what it is that is being described.
For her, this book fills that gap totally. It is written in Plain-English with clarity that makes all of the concepts much more accessible. It will definitely stay in our library as the go-to reference book for learning how to use the Olympus.
To be honest, I'm looking forward to having an in-depth read of it myself. Sometimes my Nikon is just too much of a lump to lug around.
Talking of lumps, this is one chunky book. Make sure your shelf brackets are up to it, it's definitely not a leaflet!
on 20 May 2013
The booklet that comes with the camera is VERY basic. The online PDF instructions are a little better. But access to many of the advanced features available through the menu system are somewhat abstruse and definitely not intuitive. To access and enjoy the superb performance the camera has to offer you really do need some informed help. The Guide is easy to follow, informative and essential reading.