Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

2,373

on 28 October 2014
The Clifton Chronicles have become an addictive 'must read' series. The only problem is that I tend to read the books within days, then have withdraw symptoms until the next one is published (unfortunately book 5 is not out til 2015) .... If you're anticipating reading any of the Chronicles, you really should start with book one as each one is totally intertwined with the previous book, and worst of all each ends on a massive cliffhanger which only adds to the suspense. As to be expected from a master story teller, the books are incredibly well written with just the right amount of detail, just the right amount of suspense all served up wit well written, flowing prose.
All in all - a darn good read !!!!'
on 9 August 2014
Fantastic book,as are the other books in this series,just one disappointment ,got to the end ,only to discover I have to wait a year for the next book to find out what happens!!! I just can't wait to get my hands on it ,such a good story teller .
on 4 November 2014
This series of books is a complete timewaster. I have done nothing all week apart from reading all four of them and my house is now in dire need of a good dust and hoover. I kept saying to myself "just to the end of the chapter" but had to carry on to find out how they got out of the predicament everybody was always left in. It didn't help that I actually cared about the main characters...the goodies anyway. I love my books and read different authors for different reasons and Jeffrey Archer is, to me anyway, an exhilarating story teller that leaves you wanting more. However, I read other authors for their words, and the way they put words together to make extraordinary and beautiful sentences. Jeffrey Archer writes with quite basic and easy words however they make a very compelling and exciting story. I carried on reading because I obviously wanted to get to the end but now I have reached it I feel a bit lost....will have to wait patiently for number 5. Thankfully I have a house full of other books to get through plus the ones I have on my ipad.
on 19 March 2014
Another brilliant book in the series. Now I've finished it, I can get out more. Roll on 2015 for the next one. [Anyone else think it's a little odd for 2 'readers' to review the book without actually reading it?]
on 30 March 2014
Could not put it down, one of 4 great books, a story that covered three generations, surprise after surprise, another great story from a master story teller.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 January 2015
Be Careful What You Wish For is the fourth book in The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer (something that I didn't realise until I'd finished reading the book so silly me). It begins with a car crash involving two young men, but we are uncertain as to which one was killed in the crash. It turns out there is a feud between the families of the two boys and Don Pedro Martinez is trying to bring down the esteemed Barrington family. Throughout the book we see various different plots to destroy the Barrington's family shipping business but whether Don Pedro Martinez is successful in his plans will remain a mystery...

I have to be honest, I didn't think that I was going to like this book before I started reading it, nor when I had read 150 pages of it. It was not until after I'd read about a third of the book did it really begin to pique my interest. This book contains several passages which have either strong political or financial themes and I found these parts of the books much less accessible as a reader. That said, I haven't read many political novels or anything of the sort so this was very much a new reading experience for me and I imagine existing Archer fans would've greatly enjoyed these details passages.

The plot gets more and more complicated as time goes on and you begin to see how all the different characters fit into the action but Archer keeps the motives and relations between characters under wraps for the most part of the book. Archer is incredibly good at keeping the reader in suspense and weaving a tale so thick that it's impossible to predict what's coming next. There's a lot of two-ing and fro-ing in this novel as you see the Barrington's and the Martinez's fight to destroy the reputation of the other and there's absolutely no way of predicting the results of each party's ploys. This story gets more and more exciting as it goes on, constantly surprising the reader with new and game-changing information that throws what you thought you knew about the story out the window. If you like to be kept on your toes, then this is the series for you.

Perhaps this was because I haven't read the previous books in the series, but I didn't really feel like I connected with any of the characters. This is not the story of one person, but the intersecting and overlapping stories of many, many characters. As a result, it is not only hard to to wrap your head around who's who, but also to form any sort of emotional attachment to any character. This was a disappointment, but did not necessarily let the book down. The complex nature of the plot means that this book is very much about what is happening, rather than what each character feels about what is happening. Another factor is that the character's don't have very strong relationships between each other so there isn't anything for the reader to connect with. Instead, you remain removed from the busy plot but your interest is still maintained because you want to find out which character's plans will ultimately succeed. The characters have a business-like relationship with each other and thus I felt like I had a business-like relationship with the book. This story was created to entertain me and entertain me it did.

All in all, Be Careful What You Wish For was a highly entertaining novel (once it got going) and I would highly recommend it to existing Archer fans and to those that have never read his books I suggest you pick one up. This book ends on one hell of a cliffhanger so I am eager to get my hands on the next instalment of The Clifton Chronicles (released in February this year). This book takes quite a bit of time to get your head around but if you're a fan of political or business-related drama, entwined with family drama, then this is the series for you.
on 4 December 2014
As always Jeffrey Archer exposes us to more villainy and treachery tempered with the good and not so bad. We go through the expected sadness and the equally expected joy, always hoping that good triumphs over evil and just when you think it has there is the usual sing in the tail!
Although this book follows the usual formula Mr Archer tells a tall with such panache that he grips the reader almost immediately and there can be no doubt that there is the usual urgency to get to the last page to see good come out on top, only to find that you have to wait till next year to find out if it does!
on 22 January 2015
The book covers so much, it's hard to put down. Things happen that you least expect, and as is normal for Jeffrey Archer, he leaves you desperately wanting more. Thankfully there will not be such a long wait for book 5. The twists and turns are so clever, it's hard to put the book down. By now the families and characters actually seem like real people. Roll on February!!!!.
on 22 September 2015
Book 4 of The Clifton Chronicles.... Careful What You Wish For
Brilliant story, as are all the Jeffrey Archer books I have read.
Couldn't put it down I had to finish it and get started the next book, so I have bough them all. All 5 are really exciting.
Clifton Chronicles Series.
Book 1 = Only Time Will Tell
Book 2 = Sins of The Father
Book 3 = Best Kept Secret
Book 4 = Careful What You Wish For
Book 5 = Mightier Than The Sword
Book 6 = WAITING (Sept 22 2015) for 2016 to come.
on 23 March 2015
The third book in the 'Clifton & Barrington saga' continues the trials and tribulations of the two families over the years. As with the past two books Jeffrey Archer keeps the reader wanting more especially with the cliffhangers he finishes his endings with that you purchase the next instalment to find out what happens in their lives. The characters are intertwined in their stories and focuses on their lives as new characters come into play from the first of being introduced to the families throughout the years. As the years pass Harry, Emma, Giles etc who you meet in the first book take a little step back as the next generation come along in the next book in the series.