Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas with Elvis Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 September 2017
I think I like this one a bit more than Zero Day (Jeff Aiken).

The technical side was great and I loved it - well explained, even for non-techies. The problem was that it was not enough, it felt like it was not the main focus. I think there should have been more attention on interesting technical issues, and not so much on action film style fluff. I picked up this book for the technical side of things, and it turned out to focus more on generic action fluff.

The writing is better than in Zero Day, and I liked the fact that the descriptions of women were a lot less sexualised. However, as I said, all the action movie stuff was too much.

Overall, this is a better book in the aspects in which Zero Day lacked, but worse book in the aspects in which Zero Day excelled. It still has a technical focus though, so I prefer it more than Zero Day.
on 29 September 2013
A good read with enough technical speak to make it believable. However whilst the author may be computer expert he seems to know little about flying. His assertion that a Microlight aircraft is capable of flying at 25000 feet is laughable although his use of it at 10000 feet is acceptable. Similarly his idea that aircraft including small ones can cross international borders in Europe without flight plans or documentation is not realistic especially in the current climate of heightened security. An aircraft of any sort entering European airspace without a flight plan would without doubt arouse the interest of the authorities resulting in interception of the unknown aircraft.
Having said that, the book is a good "can't put down" read.
on 18 September 2013
A very good story or is it just a story. Worrying when you consider something similar is happening out there now!
on 11 October 2012
Having read through Marks first book 'Zero Day' in about 2 days flat whilst on holiday last year I couldn't wait to get hold of his next book for my holiday this year.

With the book duly downloaded to my Kindle I boarded my plane for 4hr flight, and I can honestly say I don't remember anything about the journey until we hit the tarmac at the other end.

Trojan Horse doesn't have as much 'tech speak' as Zero Day, which will probably broaden its appeal to anyone who loves a good murder / mystery / thriller type read, with there still being plenty of tech background for the nerds among us.

All in all, thoroughly recommended, and I can't wait for the next book (Which Mark admitted he's currently writing in a recent TWiT.tv interview)
on 27 December 2012
I was attracted to this by the subject matter - being something of a geek myself - but the quality of writing was so poor that I just about gave up on it.
The technical stuff was ok, but the characters were wooden and the writing style was painful. I shan't be reading any more of his.
on 14 October 2012
I heard about Mark Russinovich on the Windows Weekly podcast. Paul Thurrott discussed Mark's technical expertise and how much he loved his books. Mark writes with real understanding of his subject in the world of international cyber war. However he never goes above the head of a reader like me in his technical description of what is he is doing. He is a bona fide thriller writer. I was on the edge of my seat through all of this book. He writes original well developed characters. And his story telling keeps you going between his characters technical investigation and action. My only problem with this is Mark has written 2 books, and I am almost done with the second book. Enjoyable, fun, scary, and I highly recommend this book.
on 18 December 2012
Apparently Mr Russinovich is an ex Microsoft employee. He writes like one. While the technical detail is no doubt accurate the prose is at the level of a user manual and the storyline about as credible as a computer game plot. He may find his main characters (lovers come cyber heroes) to be likeable but I suspect most of us will just see the kind of overpaid and self absorbed IT consultants that we have to put up with in the real world.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2012
This is the first of Mark Russinovich's books that I'd read and I'd just finished reading Simon's Singh's excellent book The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking on the day that 'Trojan Horse' became the attractively priced `Kindle Offer of the Day' from Amazon.

'Trojan Horse' gives an insightful, and frequently deeply alarming, overview of the threat posed by the on-going development of cyber technology and in the use of these techniques as silent weapons of war.

Mark Russinovich skilfully uses this as the basis of a thriller in which two American cyber experts uncover sophisticated malware that has already penetrated the computer network used by the United Nations organisation responsible for monitoring Iran's nuclear program.

Almost inadvertently they find themselves heavily involved in the deployment of an advanced version of the Stuxnet virus that had originally wreaked havoc with Iran's centrifuge enrichment program. And, with vested interests of their own, we encounter the Chinese experts (and their political masters) who are determination to provide Iran with software designed to negate the highly sophisticated Stuxnet3 malware being deployed by the Americans (and others...)

The story line moves quickly from the initially tranquil setting of Geneva through to some far less salubrious areas of Prague and Ankara - and culminates in a car chase (with a couple of unpleasant and well armed gentleman following them in a light aircraft) that is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Why only the four stars? I'm not really sure but, having finished (and genuinely enjoyed) the thriller, I'm left with a vague feeling that Mark Russinovich couldn't quite decide where the boundaries between advanced cyber technology and James Bond actually lie.
on 26 December 2012
The book begins with rather too much descriptive material about computer viruses, which might better have been spread out through the text in more digestible pieces. Overall, though, a well-constructed thriller, which makes us wonder what is going on in the real world - maybe not far from what's described here, who knows? The villains are suitably villainous in intent, but markedly incompetent, allowing our heroes an easier ride than they had a right to expect. This gives a flavour which is sufficiently different from the "standard thriller" to create a bit of interest. The main problem is the ending, which is far too easy for the protagonists, so in the end a bit of a let-down.
on 12 January 2013
As a renowned and lucid expert in the technical side of things, I was unsure what to expect from Mark's fiction writing. However I was not disappointed, and it was difficult to put this [Kindle] book down. There is a satisfying balance of character development and action. Recommended at anyone with a spy/thriller/computer interest. It was so good, I could almost believe it. Not a lot to criticise - perhaps it took me a moment to remember who all the characters were but likely that's just me.