Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2013
I'm new to study again after a break of 20 years and a decission to make a career change - I found this book to be easy to navigate, it has a good reference system and it explains each chapter in laymans terms, it's a book for dummies really although I'm not claiming to be one.
I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a push in the right direction whether new to studying or not, it's a good tool to have and makes essay writing a whole simpler.
on 2 November 2013
I'm at Uni for the first time in my late 30s and the academic skills required on my course were all new to me. The tips and examples contained in the friendly layout are concise and effective. The essay writing and associated chapters have been very helpful. And just by flicking through the other chapters has given me plenty of ideas to make learning interesting and speedy.
on 24 October 2014
got this book as was required for my uni degree pre- reading list most of it is common sense but if you struggle with organisation and finding time to fit your studies in the book is helpful as can help you to gain key knowledge to help you succeed ... however if you are already organised and know how to Harvard references and time manage don't purchase as you wont need this book
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2015
This is an invaluable guide for university students. The step from school to University should change the way you have to study and students need some help in this transformation. I have known many scientists who struggle with essay writing, and many students also need to develop their confidence in giving presentations. The key point about studying in University is that the learning is now in the student's hands. There is no longer the pressure to cram and to teach to an exam that dominates A-level study. For BTech students who have experienced a more problem based learning there are still some study skills that they need to develop.

The book covers the core skills from managing your time and your studies to key academic skills such as referencing, essay writing and dissertations. This book will cover all the essential skills that you need as an undergraduate. The book is nicely laid out and written in a style that makes it interesting and accessible. It is printed in a two-tone colour scheme that this time uses yellow and blue - not my ideal choice because yellow is a bit weak but overall I like the design and presentation.

The one obvious omission is that apps and social media are not covered. As we move to incorporating mobile devices into learning this is something that I hope will be covered in future editions. This is my recommended text to all my undergraduate students as the senior tutor.
on 14 December 2014
I was looking for a book to help me write my dissertation for my level 7 HRM Dissertation. This book has it all! I've only had it two days but it has already answered so many questions.
The contents looks brief, but look at the index and particular sections and you will not need to look at another book.
I particularly like the dissertation section for literature review guide.
Clear, concise and easy to read. I'd highly recommend it.
on 2 November 2014
Studying HNC in admin and information technology, but regardless of subject I have been out of study for quite sometime and this helps massively to get back into study and to understand what is expected of me in higher education. Good resource for anyone starting higher education at college or uni.
on 4 August 2016
This book has really helped me in my study. Having returned to study after a long hiatus, this book really got me back into the study skills required for academic work and introduced new models for me to try. Would highly recommend for all university students to help with their writing.
on 13 October 2013
Helped with my essay writing and currently using it to assist with report writing for my access to health course. This is a diploma level 3 course leading to a degree course so I am sure to be using this book time and time again.
on 24 February 2015
Good overview on general study tips

Good for a level students going to uni

I'm a mature student and it wasn't that great for me, but I passed it on to a younger family member who's 18&just started uni. She loves it and found it useful As it tells you hoe to prepare for studying at university level and general tips which I know but I wouldn't have known at 18!
on 18 December 2013
I bought this as I needed it for one of my degree modules and its fantastic. The book is well presented, has some illustrations to break up all the text, is well written, structured and concise. It covers everything you need if you are going back to study. I will definitely buy more books by Palgrave and Stella Cottrell.