Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 October 2014
The irony of this statement in a book entitled "Complexity to Simplicity" was not lost on me:

"C=[A+B+D] > X
i.e. change can only occur when factors ABD are stronger than the cost of change (X)"

I am not joking, this is a real quote from the book.

The irony doesn't end there, it is often unnecessarily complex in my opinion. Though in fairness, complexity is by definition a complex topic!

I do strongly recommend it to anyone interested in better business. It is an underrated problem, and hats off to the Authors for the theme and a very good book.

The principles are sound, and the tools provided within the book are practical and useable for anyone in any business.
on 16 September 2012
I have enjoyed reading this book because it's helpful in my work as a consultant to global marketing leaders, who without exception are caught into webs of corporate complexity that are stifling marketing effectiveness and creativity. The thinking and tools in this book are straightfoward and easy to apply so very worthwhile reading.
on 19 September 2012
As a skeptic on these 'business self help' books, I was pleasantly surprised at the fresh thinking here. It covers a lot of bases whilst maintaining rigor and deep insight due to the strong academic foundation. In particular I enjoyed the chapter on people - how our behaviour and mindset creates complexity in decision, processes we put in place etc.

The star feature is really clear, practical guidance on what you can do about each complexity challenge - many of which don't need a big change programme, you can just do them.

I definitely recommend this - it really changes how you think.
on 17 September 2012
As someone who has worked with a number of large businesses, some of which are more successful at navigating complexity than others (!), I thought this book was a timely and practical reminder of the cost of letting complexity rule us. The writing is clear yet insightful, which in itself reinforces the subject matter. The authors give lots of examples of businesses that have managed complexity well, and why this has made them successful - more importantly, the book gives advice on how this thinking can be imported into our own business environments and working practices to great effect.
on 10 October 2012
I'm a small business owner and have read several books on the subject and found From Simplicity to Complexity to be extremely insightful, easy to follow and at times, unique in its thought and delivery. It's strength is that it pulls no punches and tells it how it is. It spells out simply and directly the most common issues, with real examples and realistic measures to change behaviours and avid issues. For me, a must read book on a subject that should be at the top of anyone's 'business issue list'.
on 17 September 2012
I work for a large company with many complexity problems and I was immediately attracted to this book. From the first page I found the book resonated with my current thinking and gave me lots of ideas as to how to improve my company's current issues. Also, unlike many other business titles which are filled with complex explanations and jargon, this book lived up to its principle value of simplicity - it was direct, informative and easy to read from the first.
on 21 October 2012
I had many eureka-moments when reading this book. It really opened my eyes to how much time I waste daily on activities that actually lead nowhere and add no value. Offers simple and straightforward techniques for cutting out the unnecessary. Have been able to apply these techniques not only to my working life but also in other areas. So overall, well worth the read!
on 19 September 2012
I've bought a number of management books recently in an effort to try to understand a bit about why my team is struggling to get things done. Finally I have an answer! The style of prose and practical tools and techniques are not only easy to read, they actually work. I'll be keeping this book close at hand.
on 15 September 2012
I work in a highly complex multinational business and was therefore intreagued when this book was released. I have read other books in this area, but this is by along way the most practical. I will be passing it onto my manager in the hope that much of the advice is implemented.
on 9 November 2014
Decent book if a little bland .... if you are a freelancing consultant working with banks, insurance companies or large corporations there is plenty of stuff to take, package and sell there