on 8 February 2013
This is a great guide,which i am sure will make a big difference to my close-up and macro photography.
I have other books by David Busch and i find they are all well written and in a straightforward format that is easy to follow. Buy it and you won't regret it!

Phil.
on 21 February 2013
After reading the other glowing reviews, I am disappointed with the content of this book. Maybe I chose badly. For a complete newbie to photography this book would no doubt be a useful start. For anyone with some experience there is little to commend it. Albeit that this is a 'field guide' and therefore brief and to the point, I found nothing new or inspirational. The photographs shown are mostly typical (yawn) pictures of flowers and insects that show little creative merit. Nothing wrong with flowers and insects of course, but there is so much more to close-up / macro photography than this. To me the overall impression is of a book that feels dated despite the 2013 publication date. Again, in defence of the authors, maybe I chose badly. Certainly I have found David Busch's Nikon camera guides so much better. So, a book for a certain audience, but not me.
on 13 January 2014
The book does just what it said it does.. provide clear and essential information about close up photography.. in a book small enough to carry around in your bag or camera bag, and is handy as a reference book when out photographing. I also love the coloured photos which are provided as examples of the point being made.. makes it all the easier to take on board.. I would recommend this book for people like me, who still have a lot to learn about what makes a good photo.. from the technical side to the composition..
on 26 January 2016
Covers all topics necessary for an introduction to the subject and is much better than I thought on first glance
Some convoluted sentences that make understanding difficult on occasions but that is just a writing style I'm not keen on.
The worst part of the book are the photos! They look very dull, unsharp and uninteresting. I doubted that the originals were but the printing of the photos is extremely poor.
on 15 December 2013
Another informative field guide, along with flash photography and portrait/candid/street photography field guides, these make 3 great additions to the learning curve for me, not too big not too small makes a handy size for travel, arrived ahead of time stated and excellently packaged,
on 22 October 2012
Great handbook, provides all the info you need in a concise and easy to read style. Would recommend it to anyone starting out with macro photography.
on 21 March 2013
i bought this book and was very happy with it. its packed with good information and its a good book to refer back to. thank you.
on 19 February 2013
I have looked at quite a few books on close-up photography but this one surpassed any expectations. the text is readable and easy to understand, covers all aspects of the genre, the examples are generally very good and it is what it says on the cover - compact. Well deserving 5 stars.
on 3 February 2014
this book is fantastic lots of good tips, on macro. also plenty of tips on how to save money on such things as reflecter. my best buy on the subject a must for beginner's like myself
on 12 July 2013
It's ok for an introduction to macro photography, but if you expect it to take your expertise to a higher level look elsewhere