Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 December 2012
The book contains largely the information, that is freely available from the Sony (3 different instruction manuals), or at any Digital Camera Photography website. You will find there some basic information on maintenance and the brief run down of photographic terminology. Something that everyone familiar with Google search could find on the Internet for free and in matter of minutes. But I have greatly missed the chapter on tricks and tips that would be specific to NEX-5N and missed the information relating to plethora of aftermarket adapters, that will allow you to use manual and a/f lenses from Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Minolta with this camera, as well as the range of more exotic lenses by Leitz, Schneider or Zeiss. Plus I sadly missed the run down on accessories like remote radio releases, flash light triggers, Cokin, or other special effect filters, various QR brackets for tripod settings etc. For the money [and I have bought the book for my 6 year old nephew], I would have expected lot more camera specifics. For this reason, I cannot really recommend this book.
on 18 April 2012
I'm a beginner photographer and the Sony Alpha Nex-5N is my first Sony camera, so the menus and terminology was new to me. The instruction manual enclosed with the camera is close to worthless, so an additional user guide was necessary. Mr. Busch's guide has helped me a lot. It is excelently written. His explanations are easy to understand. The pictures included are well chosen and support the text. He spice the text with occational humour (and not too much of it). I have followed many of his examples and found no major errors. I felt at times his explanations were bordering the nerdy (ex. the focus chapters), but you can always skip these. All in all a highly recommendable guide!
on 4 August 2012
I am sure that you could learn everything you need to know from the Sony user guide, forums and simple trial and error, but if you are looking for something that combines a friendly hand-on-the-shoulder approach with a not unnecessarily technical style to ease you into using your new camera then I would recommend this book.

It is well laid out, clear & simple to understand and if - like me - you are a newbie to DSLR style cameras and have largely used point-and-shoot settings on compact cameras before then you will appreciate this book. Intermediate photographers are probably unlikely to learn much more about the art of digital photography but I think could still benefit from having such an accessible guide to all of the great features on the camera itself.

All in all, I am glad I bought the book and would definitely recommend it.
on 2 May 2012
If you know some of the basics then you really don't need this book. I leafed through 90% of the book before I got to the section I wanted (the different focussing abilities of my NEX-5N). Even this information is available on line if you search for it.
on 26 March 2014
The supplied guidance for the Nex 5 is typical of today's practice.

Reading instructions from the web on a laptop does not replace the now discontinued traditional printed instructions.

David Busch's guide is brilliant and I am very pleased that I found it and obtained a copy.
on 9 April 2013
Essentially a good general guide for the use of the Sony NEX 5N camera. However, no guidance and description at all of the functional capability of this camera to use legacy lenses was covered. Indeed, I own the camera body only and use it with my collection of precious lenses from film cameras of many years ago. The book deserved a complete chapter on the subject of adapters, recommended lenses, hyperfocussing techniques and the clever focus-peaking facility of the camera.

My now extensive experience of these concepts means that I could possibly contribute a pertinent chapter to Mr Busch's book.
on 28 January 2013
I have the NEX-5R but there wasn't an up to date book for this new camera. The book on the 5N covers pretty much everything though anyway for the 5R, with a couple of difference.
on 1 April 2013
This is an excellent easy to read book to dip into when wanting to learn handy hits & tips on how to use the Sony nex-5n camera. The author David Busch has written other books on digital photography too, so he has a good understanding on how to use this type of camera, which comes across in his book. This book arrived quickly & well packaged, thank you.
on 8 March 2014
An excellent book. Clearly explains all the workings and controls of the Alpha NEX-5N camera, it's a pity the Sony CD supplied does not have a manual like this on it.
on 3 January 2014
Great reference book. It is now well thumbed and I still refer to it occasionally some 2 years later. Not expensive and speeds up your knowlwdge of the camera.