Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 August 2012
This book was borrowed from our local library and once home we realised we couldnt and shouldnt be without it.
It has been invaluable in teaching my son maths and his confidence has grown too!
A must have!
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book simplifies the task of learning how to do basic maths, and is aimed at all the number-phobes out there who tremble at the mere sight or mention of arithmetic. The book mainly aims at the Adult target market but I am sure that younger age groups could find plenty of value from it too

The book tries to keep the material very accessible by translating the arithmetic operations into everyday examples and always keeping the study light hearted and fun in the typical Dummies series fashion. This should help to make the learning of the material more of a pleasure and less of a chore to be dreaded. The author being a tutor himself imparts his little tips and tricks on how to more easily achieve some of the topics being covered.

As with any dummies books you have people who love them or hate them, the target market will I suspect love this book as its accessible style will definitely engage rather than vacate the audience, but I suspect there will be these perhaps wishing for a more concise coverage without all the jokes and humour. I personally do look the way the otherwise dull material is covered and wouldn't doubt it will find many a fan of it looking to improve their arithmetic.

Pros:
-Thorough coverage
-Engaging read
-Material well organised

Cons:
-Some may find the humour slightly distracting
on 17 March 2013
Says it all on the cover really, Very helpful :-)

Great Service and will order again in the future .
on 7 December 2013
YES MY SON WAS PLEASED HE THOUGHT IT WAS VERY THOUGHTFUL OF ME TO ORDER IT FOR HIM VERY HELPFUL
on 14 January 2013
I bought this book to help me brush up on my maths skills and it has been very useful. It is very comprehensive and easy to follow, I felt it was written in an engaging style that was clear but not patronising. The book has definitely helped me feel more confident about numbers and I would recommend it to anyone who needs to improve their basic maths skills.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have long been a fan of the 'For Dummies' series of books, and this one does not disappoint. It is well written and interesting and the basic principles are covered in an entertaining way. So far I have just been 'dipping my toes in' so to speak, but I intend to go on and read and practice the principles a little more thoroughly. My addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills are adequate, but it is with fractions and percentages that I come unstuck so I will be concentrating on these aspects of the book. One slight criticism though - I would have liked many more opportunities to try out my newly acquired skills with a set of test questions at the end of each chapter. Theory is all very well, but practice helps the skills learnt to stick.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2014
Easily understood, bought it for my daughter and she likes it.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We are so conditioned to using calculators these days, that many of the traditional maths skills have almost vanished. So I got this book to refresh my memory about these weird bits of maths that are more of a challenge than the usual adding and subtracting - division and multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratios, etc. For me, this book was ideal. Simple, clearly laid out with examples, plainly written with no waffle and no major assumptions of previous knowledge. I actually ENJOYED certain exercises, too - don't remember enjoying maths at school! I would recommend this as a simple refresher for adults, but serious students would obviously need something more in-depth.
on 16 January 2015
Great book for recapping all the basics. Well worth buying
on 26 March 2012
I'm a bit of a maths phobic, but found the book interesting & useful and will continue to use it as a reference. I lent it to my sister who is a tutor at a Further Education College and she commented ' The table of Joy - this has been especially useful when working with adult numeracy students and I have passed this idea on to other tutors in the community. It's an excellent book and worth it just for this gem'. The college has since bought some copies for their library.