Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2012
I have found this book very very helpful. I have been phobic about maths my entire life but have recently decided on a career change that will involve studying science at university level. I bought this book as maths was by far my weakest point, in fact I had to work right from scratch.

This book takes you by the hand and leads the way, one baby step at a time, from the most basic of maths skills right up to things that I never imagined I would be able to do. Not only does it contain a huge amount of useful info presented in an easy to understand way but it even makes it enjoyable and very rewarding to work through.

I have this book as well as "Basic Maths Practice Problems for Dummies" and "Numeracy Tests for Dummies" they all go hand in hand and between them have covered a massive proportion of what I needed to know.

This book should be the first point of call for anybody who is looking to improve their maths.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As you would expect from this series of books 'Basic Maths for Dummies' is easy to understand and extremely thorough in what it covers.

My 13 year old son is pretty poor at maths and has been since primary school, I've tried many different products including PC games and DS games to help him, his school has placed him in various special groups for extra maths tuition but to no avail, he just cannot get to grips with maths in any form.

'Basic Maths for dummies' is a little too hard for my son to follow by himself, not because it is written in a style that is complicated to understand but because he has a total mental block where mathematics is concerned.

However where this guide comes into its own, is in offering myself and my husband numerous techniques enabling us to teach basic maths to our son.

This book takes you step by step through numerous mathematical tasks and techniques, one small step at a time.

In the book you will find hints, tips and techniques covering the following:

Whole numbers - adding and subtraction, multiplying and dividing, rounding and estimating.

Parts of the whole - fractions, decimals, ratios, proportions and percentages.

Weights, Shapes and Measures - Time, Cash, Weights, Temperature, Sizes and Shapes.

Statistics - Data, Charts, Averages and Chance.

To sum up ... if you are an adult struggling with maths or a parent needing ideas to help your mathematically challenged children then 'Basic Maths for Dummies' is the book for you.
on 18 April 2013
I never thought I would buy a book on maths but when I found this Dummie one I thought I would give it a go. I never did maths at school and have always wanted to get the hang of it and I'm pleased to say that now I am working through this book I am getting a good understanding of what its all about. I'm really beginning to enjoy it!
on 20 September 2011
This book reviews some of the most fundamental mathematics for school pupils, and for people who struggles with basic maths in daily situations. It is divided in comprehensive chapters, each of them focusing on a specific point. Chapters are very well organised with clearly indicated subtopics. It is full of simple tricks to make adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing a piece of cake for example. It is also full of clever advices about how to use and understand maths. While being very serious on the topic, the style is very engaging and informal (you'll know everything about the author's obsession on large cappuccinos and carrot cakes). This book is ideal for school pupils, as well as for adults who were reluctant of mathematics at school. They won't be anymore, and realise that after all... maths is fun.
on 6 September 2011
An easy to read, down-to-earth maths book for all levels. It contains many basic tips and advice for most exams and life in general. Excellent value for money.Basic Maths For Dummies
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 September 2015
I'm working my way through the book and am finding it just what I needed to refresh my maths skills. I'm especially appreciative of the opening chapters on organising oneself and a space to maximise learning and retention of the material. An excellent book and a purchase I'm very glad to have made.
on 8 February 2013
Perfect for those moments when you need to be reminded or even start from the beginning. The Dummies books are a must.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A well laid out and structured book, as a person who has struggled with Mathematics, I wish books like these were around when I was studying instead of the dry almost antique books that were in use in the past, The chapters are well divided into topics so that people can zero in on areas of interest. The various tips and tricks that can be used to help the learner along are invaluable tools for exams and indeed every day life.

However, some have commented, and rightly so, on the fact that the book is too wordy and also that there are no practice questions. This latter criticism is the real problem and really cannot be excused as the book is touted at the self-help market. As a person who struggled with the topic, one of the main ways to learn is practice and more practice, hence my 4 star rating.
on 27 February 2016
good for parents to help kids and may I say for older people who say I am not good at maths of course u are probably like me who moved schools all the time ever really got to learn them never too old to learn anything just get going and surprise yourself this book a great way to start I am amazed in 3 days my maths have improved especially mental maths and my grandkids are th ones I want to help as well
on 2 September 2014
I always used to avoid maths because i did not wanted to make a fool of myself. I am smart and pack a punch of knowledge but never paid attention in math class as i found both the subject and teacher boring.. I ordered this book as i sometimes need to juggle with numbers during presentations or in conversations.

Turns out i am not bad at all. Numbers now flow in my mind and all makes sense.. I can do formulas in my head and simply write the answer down instead of using pen and paper to work it out. I calculate within seconds in my head now and my overall fobia/avoiding of maths is completely gone. And i am only on page number 81 out of 350!!!!