on 12 October 2017
great purchase
on 9 April 2016
Thought this might be useful as the book certainly is. Absolute waste of money, read in about five minutes, wish I hadn't bothered
TOP 500 REVIEWERTOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Gary McCord, a PGA Champions Tour player of whom I'm unfamiliar with, and golf journalist Tony Smart, have teamed up again for a second bite in this revised edition in the Dummies series. The claim is it's "Not to mention funnier", in which case the previous edition must have been as amusing as being told your dog has been run over.

I'm not sure at whom this book is actually aimed. The tour player will know it all, as will the committed Chief Executive who plays three times a week. The weekend player will probably dismiss a lot of what is in here, and the `when-I-get-the-chance-to' hacker won't really care. That leaves those who have started to play a few rounds and have been down the driving range. However, even they might be nonplussed as to what is included here.

Is the author really advocating that the beginner carry around 14 clubs? Most people I know started with a half set of maybe six clubs and plenty of balls. The good players I'm paired with in the Monthly Medal don't carry around the maximum allowed. A beginner isn't going to know the difference between a five and six iron, as both will look and act the same to them. The section on playing with a professional is pointless, as no one buying this book will ever get to do that. (I doubt pros are likely to visit Upchurch River Valley or Deangate Ridge course.) One piece of advice absent concerns a golf club. If your ball lands next to a tree or something and you can't take a shot from your usual stance, everyone tends to hit the ball back. I carry a left-handed club, so I can at least get the ball forward.

Getting lessons is one thing but is everyone really going to participate in the exercises suggested? The person this book appears to be aimed at is the leisure golfer who just wants to play 18 holes. Everyone else will be familiar with what's within these pages. Let's be honest, the chances of anyone progressing further is rather slim. And if they do, they won't be needing this book anyway.

Yes, I know I'm looking at it from a non beginners point of view, but though there are some handy tips and advice here, there's also plenty of unnecessary text.
on 17 May 2007
I have read several of the for dummies books and they have all been very good. But this one i thought was very good the author is quite funny which is refreshing, plus it really did improve my game. But another great place for golf advice and tips is [...] check it out help me a lot.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a fair sized book, coming in at just under 400 pages and can be broken into pros and cons :-
Pros
1 - This book is detailed to the core, it is a very in depth book that will carry all the knowledge you will ever need about golf
2 - Throughout the book they have side notes that are broken down into, tips, pro advice, hazard (things to avoid doing), which is pretty useful to make the important pieces of information stand out
3 - Breaks everything about the sport down, from starting out (buying clubs and balls and the differences in the different equipment) right through to the finer points (Author picks favourite players etc)
4 - Some of the information on the history of golf can be quite interesting (E.G. how a birdie came to be known as a birdie)
5 - Some very helpful advice such as the best ways to improve your game (driving range, instructors etc)
6 - There are some handy pieces of advice like how far certain clubs can hit the ball on average, even breaking that down by gender
7 - I thought it was very good use of diagrams in the book to demonstrate posture and stretches to loosen up for playing golf
8 - I also found it useful that sometimes topics were summed up in grey boxes to stand out (E.G a list of ten things to remember when...)

Cons
1 - This book is very long, needing a fair amount of time to sit and read your way through it (or so I found in my experience)
2 - Sometimes things are broken down far more than they need to be as if trying to pad the book out. I am aware the book is "golf for dummies" and as such aware that it has to be broken down a lot but, I found myself struggling to stay with the book at times.
3 - For me this book would be slightly boring for anyone who has already played some golf, had lessons or is not a complete beginner. Some stuff could still prove slightly useful, but if you already know your sport you wont find much use out of this book.

Summing up
This book is good, but I would only go so far as saying that only absolute novices of the sport will find use for this book. It is long and very detailed which will be good for people who don't know one end of a club to the other and want to know everything about the sport that they are playing. You may not find any use from it if you are a beginner with have a few games under your belt, although you may still be able to pick up a few pointers here and there - then it is a case of whether you want to spend 10GBP on something that you can probably pick up from the Internet and talking to other players.
on 20 June 1999
As someone who is new to golf I need all the help I can get. I found the text very informative and easy to follow. The author's sense of humour make the read all the more enjoyable and he certainly doesn't mind admitting his own mistakes as an aid to help others learn.
Following the exercises and instructions in the book has helped me a lot and I can now hit the ball almost every time (getting it to go in the right place may take a little longer). The photos demonstrating the techniques are okay but would be better if they were perhaps in colour and some could be slightly larger (mind you this would probably put the cost up). Other than that I can't find any fault with the book at all.
I would reccommend this book to anyone (I have already) who wishes to improve their game. It addresses all the areas I need to cover and keeps me laughing when my entire game is falling apart.
on 6 June 1999
on 16 May 2010
I thought this was an excellent introduction to golf, covering all aspects of the game, written in McCord's engaging style and with the typical For Dummies structure and layout. (I also recommend the DVD of the same name, but I don't think it's a substitute for the book).

It covers everything from those just thinking about getting into golf right through to what to expect if you find yourself in a Pro-Am game, playing a round with your boss or invited as a guest to an exclusive country club. The book tells you how to go about approaching taking up the game, making use of the driving range to build skill before you think about playing courses, when to consider buying equipment (not as soon as you may think), where to go for lessons and what types are available, where to obtain advice, and how to go about improving your game.

The book also goes into detail of the types of clubs and strokes, how to practice, how to navigate around the course and the types of gameplay, etiquette and the importance of integrity in a player, basic rules and rules of thumb. It gives you all the essentials, but it won't do the practice for you or give you the minimum level of fitness to walk around a 9- or 18-hole course. That's up to you.

Note: I think the UK Edition is largely a cosmetic makeover (currency conversion, some local references, etc) to appeal to the UK market. If you see another edition for less - particularly if it's on sale or second-hand - grab it, as you're unlikely to notice the difference.
on 15 October 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
...which is the point of a Dummies book, after all.

This is not an instructional guide to how to be a better golfer; it is a general overview with sections of very detailed specifics. This educational method works with subjects like computing, but I don't know if it works as well for a sport like golf which is so individual and gradual in it's learning process. It's certainly an interesting read, and I've learned more from it that any other book on the subject. It's probably not improved my game though. It terms of layout and writing style, it is easy to read and browse through and explains complex ideas well.

Overall a great gift for a beginner golfer.
on 7 June 1999
This is the best golf book I've ever read. The author did a great job to help me find my weak points and adjust my posture of swing. Now I can swing much better. I also like the author's sense of humor. The best thing I found in this book is that what the author suggested are really work!