on 1 May 2015
Another book about China... The author, having lived in China for a prolonged time, provides an anecdotal analysis of the economic miracle of the late twentieth century, which makes for an easy read and provides the reader with an interesting impression of socio-economic development in recent times. I guess it depends on your own expertise on China whether this is the approach to the matter that suits you. For me, having some knowledge of the subject, it was a somewhat disappointing read, but for my students attending the Windesheim Business School's (in the Netherlands) minor Doing Business in China, it was probably a good introduction to Chinese economics.

The book discusses different aspects of the Chinese economy and certainly has useful insights, but I found the author's approach a bit annoying at times. In my opinion it is uncalled for to, throughout the book, criticize other experts on China (with a more critical view of China than Rein) and paint them as people who don't really understand what they're talking about because according to Rein they haven't got his extensive experience living in China. That is just too easy. Of course Rein is entitled to his positive opinion about China and the wisdom of its leaders, but I found it at times a bit naive. One gets the impression that he might have the commercial interests of his consultancy business in the back of his mind ? Fair enough that his continued access to the Chinese elite is important to him, but I prefer a more balanced view and I like to teach my students to be more critical about their subjects than the attitude that Mr. Rein displays in his book.
on 29 December 2014